Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,426
2 members and 1,424 guests
shadokat, Xidelt

Old 01-15-2004, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skerbow
I will be getting engaged this year and will be returning to Dallas to my original Alumnae Association.
Congratulations!!!! That is so incredibly awesome! I know GU chapter would LOVE to take part (if you wanted to of course!) because we LOVE LOVE LOVE candle passes & would love to share that special time with you!!!

I don't understand the whole "candle walking" thing either? Can someone explain it a little more or pm me?

::sigh::

I want a candlepass!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised that every chapter seems to do this a little differently!

At my chapter (we called it a Candlelight, btw), the president started the candle, announcing that it would go around the first time for friendship/sisterhood. When it came back to her, she would announce that the second time was for being lavaliered, then the third time for getting pinned, and the fourth time, for being engaged. I don't know if the secret marriage clause is still in the ADPi policy, but that's why we didn't have the marriage round, and heaven forbid we would have one for *anything* else!!!

We sang/hummed a variety of the slow/romantic songs, starting with "Pass It On" (for the sisterhood round), then a mix of "Remember Your ADPi Girl", "I Love The Pin", "When You Love An Alpha Delta" and more that I can't remember right now.

Oh, the candle was always a white taper, with blue & white ribbons attached, and the honoree always got a white rosebud with blue & white ribbons after she was revealed.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I don't know if the secret marriage clause is still in the ADPi policy, but that's why we didn't have the marriage round, and heaven forbid we would have one for *anything* else!!!

What in the world are you talking about? A secret marriage clause? Please, do tell!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
As far as I know, the marriage clause is still in affect. However it isn't very secret. It is simply that if you get married, you are no longer active. period. You become alum at that point. Just like the pregancy one says that if you become pregnant while you are active, you are automatically alum and no longer an active collegiate. That isn't too much of a shock for anyone, I'm sure.

But, i could see the additional passes of the candle if an alum group was still doing them. It would be a great way to celebrate the next milestones in a sister's life.

Can someone please explain "walking the Candle"?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Smile

Quote:
I know GU chapter would LOVE to take part (if you wanted to of course!) because we LOVE LOVE LOVE candle passes & would love to share that special time with you!!!

Thank you sister! You are so sweet!! I can't wait to get back to Dallas so I can meet you face to face. I love that message boards can bring sisters together. OH HOW FUN!!

I'll have to think about that one......mmmm.....my own candle pass......
Old 01-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WLFEO
What in the world are you talking about? A secret marriage clause? Please, do tell!
Nothing secret - just that Alpha Delta Pi doesn't condone secret marriages, and as Sherra said, if you get married or pregnant, you must take alumnae status.

I have got to find my original Pledge Book! There are some really funky phrases in there that everyone will get a good laugh at! Granted, it was a really old book, and was replaced halfway through my (four month!) pledgeship...!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

FOUR MONTHS???????
Old 01-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
FOUR MONTHS???????
Yep!

Pledged in November, initiated in March.

feeling very old...
Old 01-15-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

OK- I just looked up this marriage business in the current COB- it says that a sister can't be granted a social-only or partial membership if they're married. I know you can be married and be an Alpha or a Delta. Isn't our very own GC Juliebug married?

I love it that in your old pledge book it talks about secret marriages, honeychile! That is too funny. One president from our chapter was secretly married while she was still president. I guess she never got to have a canlde pass for that one (trying to get back to the subject of the thread )
Old 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know you can be married and be an Alpha or a Delta.

I think a chapter may be misinterpreting the rules a little if they allow married women to join as an alpha or remain as a delta. The should say, "welcome to Pi-hood, baby!" BTW: IT ROCKS!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK- I just looked up this marriage business in the current COB- it says that a sister can't be granted a social-only or partial membership if they're married. I know you can be married and be an Alpha or a Delta. Isn't our very own GC Juliebug married?

I love it that in your old pledge book it talks about secret marriages, honeychile! That is too funny. One president from our chapter was secretly married while she was still president. I guess she never got to have a canlde pass for that one (trying to get back to the subject of the thread )
There's one totally classic phrase that y'all will love (when I find the darn thing!). It was something about "Alpha Delta Pis double-date with their sorority sisters, and don't engage in heavy kissing at the Chapter House door; an Alpha Delta Pi never allows her date to paw at her in the back seats of cars."

We always teased that Pawing must take place in the front seat only! We also called it the "The Pawing Pledge Book".

As I said, it was outdated while I was in school. We had an abnormally large pledge class (the largest on campus!), and I guess they weren't prepared.

The closest I had to a Candlelight was at my wedding!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

what did you do at your wedding??
Old 01-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

We had our Friendship Circle, with "that man" & me in the center of it. After they sang "Remember" & "When You Love An Alpha Delta", one of the sisters held a candle so that I could blow it out. Too bad they weren't there for the divorce...

But that's another story! I think all but one ADPi wedding I've been to has had the Circle, done the same way. *thinking real hard*
Old 01-15-2004, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

So i'm thinking...what if we combine the two so those of us that didn't get a candle pass in college can still have one...

All the weddings I have gone to have had the circle as well. We usually sing "Remember" & "Little Little ADPI". I don't think I know the song or tune to "when you love an alpha deta" (anyone have the lyrics?). Then we sing a couple of the brides favorite rush/spirit songs.

So what if we do a candle pass (flowered/ribbioned candle and all) while the bride and groom stand in the middle? Then the two of them can blow it out together. Then of course, all the fun songs!!

Do you understand "walking the candle"? No one has answered that question.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So i'm thinking...what if we combine the two so those of us that didn't get a candle pass in college can still have one...

All the weddings I have gone to have had the circle as well. We usually sing "Remember" & "Little Little ADPI". I don't think I know the song or tune to "when you love an alpha deta" (anyone have the lyrics?). Then we sing a couple of the brides favorite rush/spirit songs.

So what if we do a candle pass (flowered/ribbioned candle and all) while the bride and groom stand in the middle? Then the two of them can blow it out together. Then of course, all the fun songs!!

Do you understand "walking the candle"? No one has answered that question.
Interestingly, I have the soundtrack from "Love, Actually" on, and if y'all saw the wedding scene, the choir's song ("All You Need Is Love") is on right now!

I would think your suggestion is wonderful, Sherra! That's basically what we did.

I'd be happy to explain "walking the candle" if I really knew what it meant. I would imagine that, instead of passing the candle from person to person, the candle is walked around the circle? At least, that's what I gathered that it meant.