GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,201
2 members and 1,199 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2003, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
If you're discussing the termination of a member in a chapter meeting -- you're openning yourself up for lots of problems! Yikes.
umm, how else would it be decided? I certainly hope not just by the standards board...
Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
umm, how else would it be decided?
Oh, I don't know...maybe a public stoning? LOL Nah, to each his/her own. I guess we all have different procedures.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
umm, how else would it be decided? I certainly hope not just by the standards board...
Ditto. YIKES
Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 PM

at any rate...that was just an example. (I am getting the thread off this track before people start having cows) My point was, things may be discussed in meeting that deal with specific members, whether they be good bad or indifferent, and Sue or Jane or Molly may not want anyone but their sisters to know. I know a lot of groups have pass the gavel or a sunshine jar where everyone can talk or leave notes...even though some of the things were fun and silly, I would not want non-members to hear them.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Humm... well I guess his point makes sense that they will find out what it's like to attend a meetings and that's importatnt since you don't want members that dont' want to do that part of belonging and then they can figure out if it's somethign they can deal with, but I know Phi Sig does have "ritual" meetings and non members can't attened those (not even new members can be in the room for portions of them) but for us, if it was an informal business meeting... then I don't see why not, I think it depends on your org. if that will work for you..... It sounds like this guy is going around teaching people Phi Sig's Vision recruitment program to me...
Old 10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Those 5 steps are older than most people on GC. We have them in a Rush Manual from the early 80s.

As for the money thing - there are very few cases were money is truly the issue. In my opinion, the girls who are working 2 jobs to send money home to their family and paying all their own tuition probably aren't going to rush anyway, and if they do, how quality of a member would they be if they work 60 hours a week and are trying to keep a 3.0 to keep their scholarship? Like it or not, financial commitment is part of a GLO.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Dave Stollman spoke at SIUE about two weeks ago and was very well received here. He speaks about a lot more than just the five steps of recruitment. I heard that myself back in the 80's also. He lays out a way to organize your recruitment around it, and make it work.

Also, I think everyone is reading too much into his statement about money. Money is very often used as an excuse for not joining or for quitting an organization. Sure there are people who are supporting family members, but the reality is they are a small percentage. Many organizations also have "crisis" funds or something similar to help members out in emergency situations. But we all know people who claim to be in financial problems but who still seem able to go out and blow money on something they want.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
But we all know people who claim to be in financial problems but who still seem able to go out and blow money on something they want.
Ditto.

Kath and I did the math. Here it is in black and white, based on a 16-week semester:

Give plasma 2 times a week at 25 bucks a pop (yes, I know college students who do this, although not to pay sorority dues ): $800 (save up through the summer and there's another 800 bucks in it for you)
Buy books through one of those online half-price places: you save about $150-200 on average
Go to free fraternity parties instead of buying a $5 cup at a house party once a week, or don't drink at all: $80
Skip going out to eat every other week (most college students I know eat out more often than that): at least $80, depending on where you eat
Asking for someone to pay part of your dues for Christmas or your birthday instead of getting presents: depends entirely on how much your family generally gives for presents, but could cover up to your whole dues

etc. etc. It adds up.

Will all that apply to every person? No. There's a lot of people who can't or won't do these kinds of things. But if the sorority is something you want bad enough, you will be willing to make some sacrifices. That's all that is being said. You can't say, "Oh, well I can afford to join a sorority . . . because I would rather buy four Kate Spades than pay the dues." The problem there is more about what you want to afford than what you can afford.

All these side situations that people keep bringing up (her dad died, she has to support a family) are not only fairly uncommon, but have less to do with the money than they do with other issues.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Ditto.

Kath and I did the math. Here it is in black and white, based on a 16-week semester:

Give plasma 2 times a week at 25 bucks a pop (yes, I know college students who do this, although not to pay sorority dues ): $800 (save up through the summer and there's another 800 bucks in it for you)
I'm sure you meant twice a month. It is physically impossible to give blood twice a week. Your body couldn't handle it and you would more than likely die or go into shock. Here the blood donation centers only allow you to give blood once every two weeks tops. Just FYI
Old 10-13-2003, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VirtuousErudite
I'm sure you meant twice a month. It is physically impossible to give blood twice a week. Your body couldn't handle it and you would more than likely die or go into shock. Here the blood donation centers only allow you to give blood once every two weeks tops. Just FYI
I've known people who do it twice a week, so who knows what that's about. But okay, if the center doesn't let you give plasma more than twice a month, that's still $200 over the course of the semester and $200 more from the summer.

Edited to add: This website says it is safe to donate twice a week.

http://www.biolifeplasma.com/en/dona...lasma/faq.html

Last edited by sugar and spice; 10-13-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

You could also sell your eggs for as much as 3,000 a pop. But you risk infertility. But I guess anything for the dues right.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Donating Plasma is different from donating blood - it's far easier on the body because you don't loose red blood cells (I think).
Old 10-13-2003, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kappaloo
Donating Plasma is different from donating blood - it's far easier on the body because you don't loose red blood cells (I think).
You were right, I got it confused with donating blood.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I was kind of stoked on the idea of donating my sperm for 50 dollars a shot . . . Hell I could go twice a day and make a good living out of it lol.

Turn self-serving masturbation into a public service.

Hey could that be a chapter fundraiser? The entire chapter donating sperm ? Then you could donate the money to philanthropy. I think the combination would guarentee you some press.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You could also sell your eggs for as much as 3,000 a pop. But you risk infertility. But I guess anything for the dues right.
That exactly illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

If you want it bad enough, you make sacrifices. They could be small sacrifices, like donating plasma, or if you really want it badly, donating eggs -- although I wouldn't advocate that. They could be small sacrifices, like not buying another Kate Spade, or they could be big ones, like taking another job. I think most of us make sacrifices in some part of our lives so that we can pay our dues -- or pay other things, like tuition. Like I said, I know people who have taken two jobs just to be able to pay tuition, because school was important to them. I also know people who dropped out of school because their parents stopped paying tuition. School wasn't important enough to them for them to sacrifice all their free time working. The same goes for sorority dues -- you can choose to sacrifice, or you can choose to not sacrifice. It all depends on what those priorities are. And nobody's putting a value judgment on WHAT your priorities are -- certainly nobody's saying that if you drop out of your sorority because your dad died or because you need to take care of your family, that's a bad thing and you let your sorority down.