GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,041
1 members and 1,040 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2000, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

sexy mocha,

girl........you are killing me!!!!

i think that shanaenae (martin) is the epitome of ghetto.
Old 07-15-2000, 12:17 AM
TrueGreekLove

ok about this college let me describe it so some of you know what I meant by ghetto. Yes there are boarded up windows, the admissions and some other administrative office aren't in buildings but in trailers. The security at the front gate only does there job if it isn't raining, whereby they would let jeffrey daumer through the front entrance. And, some of the security guards have hair that is fit for a hair show, all types of crazy colors, gold teeth with the name pookie engraved in them, long flouresent pink nails. Some of the offices and computer classrooms have a screen door in front of the office/classroom door. You know the kind you would see at a person's home. The yard isn't maintained at all, when you go into the human resource office they can barely find where they keep their job applications, that's if you can pry the secretary off the phone long enough to help you...Now the student body is whole other issue...think about what it would be like to go to school with Shanaenae and her whole family! The dorms look like projects rather than student housing. Now all of this and more is why I called the school "ghetto"
Old 07-15-2000, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Well I am sure that most of us have used that term before. There is a time and place for everything. Even if we all use it hat does not make it any less offensive. I mean you know the term "nigga" do not offend some people and it too has taken on a new many to some and it is used as a sort of slang. I never use that term and I have taught my children never to use it also. They have learned to never say the word ghetto when they are referring to a person and how one might act. Just because it can be offensive to some and you never know who may be around if you use the term to loosely. If it is okay where she is to use it the word then thats cool. Still we all have to be cautious about terms of this nature, because if she wanted to pledged xyz sorority and they over heard her using this word in that way one of them just might get offended. I am sure she or anyone else would not want that.
Old 07-15-2000, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

blu,

you have just described ALL the hair shops in philly. this is the worst, what about when they eat over your head. see thats why, i'm go to jersey to get my hair done!!

true,
damn!!!!! what school to do you go to?
Old 07-15-2000, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Now let's just use a different term for ghetto. When I was growing up my mom and grandma would use an expression like "low-class". That's a bit less offensive, you think?

Thank you DeltaBrat for always, always saying what I feel but can't articulate. And my Soror Blu Theatrics -- thank you for giving me the laugh of the day. IT'S SO HARD TO FIND A DECENT HAIR SALON!!!
Old 07-15-2000, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Blu theatrics,

Thank you for my first laugh of the day! Now, I know for a fact that you don't live in California, so I'm just trying to figure out how you know what the salons are like in MY community! That was hilarious because of the recognized familiarity. The fact that most of us have experienced the things listed is most amazing to me.

TrueGreek,

Is this the school you attend or where you're employed? That's pretty sad.

[This message has been edited by Wynna (edited July 15, 2000).]
Old 07-15-2000, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Bu_theatrics, You are killing me!! That post deserves a Big ass LOL!!! You described every beauty salon in Brooklyn!
Delta Brat, Windows boarded up?? Barbed wire? You guys are a riot! I don't know if you were trying to be funny with that post, but I found it funny as hell! What's funnier is that you were almost right about the school! I'm with Her_Story, What school DOES TrueGreekLove go to?!? What are the requirements to get in like?!? I can only imagine. I think Low-class is a more appropriate term but I bet if everyone started using that it will eventually replace ghetto but it will take on the same meaning. Thus, becoming offensive as well.
Old 07-15-2000, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Blu_theatrics- I almost choked from laughing when I read your post!! The sad thing is you know that a lot of those are true. Especially the ones that have to deal with keeping you waiting!

ZetaAce

Old 07-15-2000, 06:39 PM
TrueGreekLove

I don't attend the school I described, When I first moved here, I was looking into grad schools for an education program, it just so happened this school has one and I went there to inquire ...needless to say my mouth droped when i got there. Since than I have been to several greek parties there and have been on the campus several times for meetings and yes to even inquire about a job...and each time I went, I found one more thing to add to my list. The most recent was my encounter with human resources....I certainly don't mind using the term "low-class" if that's less offensive to everyone.

Oh and by the way I wasn't worried about using the term "ghetto" around xyz sorority. I have several friends and family members in various orgs...both fraternity and sorority and they all use the term "ghetto". Besides, if I am not yet a member of xyz sorority I would conduct myself in a business like/professional manner, we all know that there is a time and place to use slang, whether you are seeking membership in an org or seeking employment, you know that these are not environment's where you would act and carry yourself as if you are around your home girls. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
Old 07-15-2000, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

What about when somebody who doesn't know you, or has never even met you, continuously calls you "Boo"...I called the cable company the other day to report a problem with my service, and the girl on the other end keep saying stuff like, "Hold on Boo", or "Try this and call me back Boo"...GHETTO!!!

But I do understand what the SF was saying...and I respect that. I don't wholeheartedly agree that everything, and every slang term has some deep-seeded meaning that is derading or condescending, but I can partially agree, for example...we all know that we have a sister, brother, cousin, that might be ugly/not so smart/not so affluent, and behind closed doors we may crack jokes. I know I have done it, call my sister ugly or what have you(even though she isn't), but let somebody outside of the family talk about my sister, and I am ready to brawl!!! I guess that ties into what the other SF was saying about outside people maybe grouping and classifying what they have no knowledge of.

One thing I know is that black people are some of the most humorous people on earth, mainly because we know how to laugh at ourselves! And I think that's what some of my SF's meant when they said lighten up, not that we should be ignorant to the injustices that DO go on, but that we shouldn't be so eager to make an injustice where there isn't one....

Laughter continues to be the best medicine

------------------
'Cause I'm a woman,
Phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
That's me

Maya Angelou
Old 07-15-2000, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

sexy mocha,

you're HILARIOUS! made me think of pegged pants, scrunched socks, banana clips and fanny packs! oh my goddess, what a blast...

any~way, in regards to the ghetto topic (which wasn't even really the original one, but whatever...) i think i've really learned different terms for "ghetto". i had always known it as something that was cheap, broken or just whacked-out. i've never really associated it with any color or group. i suppose i really have no right to say what i ghetto and what's not. does anyone? maybe it's just one of those words you have to use with caution, so as to not offend someone, you know?

but sexy mocha, that was a simply wonderful post! didn't you say in another post that you were a gemini? i knew there was something i liked about you!

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats
Old 07-17-2000, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

blu_theatrics:

That was funny. I agree with Wynna..."How you know about the salons in Cali?"

Yes, I was trying to be funny, I kinda got into it after Mocha's response and onesavvydiva.

But True...

I REALLY didn;t expect you to say "yes" that all the things I mentioned, minus the barbed wire fence, was true. What school is that? I was gonna say the long, fluorescent nail thing too. My goodness. What type of graduate program were you looking into? Does the administration have tattoos on their arms and necks, too?

By the way, I moved back to the CPT and I KNOW it is "you know what" because people are STILL popping fireworks, despite the fact that the 4th was what, two WHOLE weeks ago? DANG!!!

PEACE
Old 07-17-2000, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
By the way, I moved back to the CPT and I KNOW it is "you know what" because people are STILL popping fireworks, despite the fact that the 4th was what, two WHOLE weeks ago? DANG!!!
DELTABRAT,

LOL! You made me choke on my soda! I grew up in Spanish Harlem in NYC and I always hated the fact that July 4th ended when everyone ran out of their massive stash of firecrackers,etc. Yep.....there were nights when I thought I would lose my mind!

------------------
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity http://www.sigmalambdaupsilon.org

[This message has been edited by Serenity (edited July 17, 2000).]
Old 07-17-2000, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
blu_theatrics:

PEACE

Now come on, I have to draw the line ther, cause my momma is a firework fanatic and she's still got some she saved for this weekend.....OK Iguess she is ghetto, but she is that old-school, "I don't care what you say I'm go be myself ghetto"
Old 07-17-2000, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

O.K. ya'll i didn't want to turn this into a Ghetto joke post room ,but I just got this e-mail and I had to share it. (Cause I think they stole this one from my auntie's how to throw a prty book...lol) This is my last one promise (well, it's my last one today at least....lol)

Ghetto Birthday Party

You know you are at Ghetto Birthday Party" When:
1. Some of the guest didn't bring a gift, but brought extra-uninvited kids.
2. When the cake says Happy Birthday Pookie instead of the child's name.
3. The party is at Chuck E Cheese but they brought their own food, cake, etc.
4. It's a child's party but there are more grown-ups then children.
5. It's De'Vonte's 1st Birthday and the party food is BBQ and Daiquiris.
6. Instead of playing pin the tail on the donkey, they have a Back That Ass Up contest.
7. They don't sing Happy Birthday instead everyone is chanting Go Man Man It's Your Birthday.
8. There are twenty kids at the party but no parents.(They left)
9. The party was over at 5:00, it's 8:00 and somebody's kid is still there.
10. Instead of Loot bags, the party favors are in Zip-Lock baggies.
11. The birthday cake is Red Velvet.
12. The invitations said Pizza Party, you get there and its frozen Tony's party pizza being served.
13. The host calls someone who's on their way and tells them to stop and get some ice.
14. The guest start arriving and you disappear to get ready.
15. You buy some food stamps from your cousin to buy the party food.
16. You hear someone tell the birthday child I am going to get you something next week when I get paid.
17. The party wasn't planned, the birthday child just went outside and said Mama said I getting ready to have a Birthday Party, Come on.
18. The party is Saturday, you got a call on Friday night saying I am giving Ke-Shawn a birthday party tomorrow at 3:00.
19. All the kids at the party have on new clothes that they got just for the party.
20. None of the gifts are wrapped, because the guest stopped by the dollar store on the way to the party.
21. The gift is still in the store bag.
22. They don't serve punch, you get Kool-Aid and those store brand cheese puffs.
23. The Baby daddy, the mama's boyfriend, and the mama's ex-boyfriend (the one that the kid liked so much) are all there and the child calling them all DADDY
24. There's more family then friends at the party.
25. The birthday child is late to his/her own party, because last night they spent the night over to their cousin 'nem.
26. You have the party over to your sister's because she just bought a new house.
27. The cake didn't come from the store, it came from the Lady who makes good cakes.
28. You have to hold on to the plate that you ate your food on to eat your cake.
29. Someone calls and says save me some cake.
30. Guest are wrapping up cake to take to mama 'nem.
31. Everyone is pinning money on the birthday child.
32. It's a child's party but there's a Domino game in progress.
33. The baby daddy shows up with all his Boyz and you start to fear that there will be a Drive-By.
34. The party music is coming from the trunk of someone's car.
35. The birthday child is dressed from head to toe in Bootleg Tommy and Bling Blinging.
36. The baby daddy comes to the party and brings his kids he had before and after the birthday kid.
37. There is one Baby Daddy and whole lot of Baby's mama's.
38. There are two kids there with the same Daddy but different Mama's.
39. A cell phone rings and everyone goes for theirs.
40. It's Lil' man's party but since Tasha is there and her birthday is in a few days, it becomes Lil' Man/Tasha's Party.
41. The party is over and all the kids get sent to the other room so that the Grown-ups can do their Thang.