GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,315
0 members and 1,315 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Was Phi Mu originally a literary society? I may have conflated them since they were formed around the same time, at the same school. My apologies for misrepresenting your history.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Was Phi Mu originally a literary society? I may have conflated them since they were formed around the same time, at the same school. My apologies for misrepresenting your history.
i don't know about Phi Mu, but until the late 19th Century, the line between fraternities vs. secret societies vs. literary societies could be a very thin, very vague line. Even now, there are NIC fraternities that describe themselves in literary society-like terms.

Last edited by MysticCat; 05-09-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there is a much mistaken idea about much of the history of collegiate groups. Many seem to think that their society was founded as "secret societies" and then later added terms like fraternity, or sorority......

The idea that "Alpha Beta Gamma" or "Philomathean" or "phi beta kappa" whatever the name may be were "secret societies" but in fact none of them ever were. "Secret Societies" are just that.....secret, none knows who the members are, or even knows what the groups real name is.

Any organization founded after Phi Beta kappa are merely "societies with secrets". The Freemasons also consider themselves to no longer be a "secret society" but rather the above, a Society with secrets.

So, ADPi, Phi Mu, Kappas, Thetas, or any other groups really aren't true secret societies.

Just a friendly info tip......
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfonia_H-O View Post
I think there is a much mistaken idea about much of the history of collegiate groups. Many seem to think that their society was founded as "secret societies" and then later added terms like fraternity, or sorority......

The idea that "Alpha Beta Gamma" or "Philomathean" or "phi beta kappa" whatever the name may be were "secret societies" but in fact none of them ever were. "Secret Societies" are just that.....secret, none knows who the members are, or even knows what the groups real name is.

Any organization founded after Phi Beta kappa are merely "societies with secrets". The Freemasons also consider themselves to no longer be a "secret society" but rather the above, a Society with secrets.

So, ADPi, Phi Mu, Kappas, Thetas, or any other groups really aren't true secret societies.

Just a friendly info tip......
BadgeGuy just can't help himself. Get banned and he's back.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Banned

Why was he banned?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Why was he banned?
Ask sinfonia, I'd love to see what he says.

Caveat: DrPhil, you need to understand that he will avoid any responsibility for his repeated bannings, and will not be truthful.

ETA: in addition, the info he posted is incorrect. It's his opinion.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 05-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Y'all are really ban-happy around here.

This message brought to you by the "block" feature. Blocking: Free. Useful. Relieving.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Excuse me? I think you totally have me confused with someone else. Who is Badgeguy?

I'm just a college student who recently joined Sinfonia. I'm also a member of the Masons.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfonia_H-O View Post
Excuse me? I think you totally have me confused with someone else. Who is Badgeguy?

I'm just a college student who recently joined Sinfonia. I'm also a member of the Masons.
Right. ISP addresses don't lie.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Banned

I hope he did something more profound than annoy some usernames.

Ohhhhh, Greekchat....
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes he did. Way more. On multiple occasions. Annoying is what the ignore function is good for; and banning is, in his case, well deserved. More than once.

His dissembling is disingenuous.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Yes he did. Way more. On multiple occasions. Annoying is what the ignore function is good for; and banning is, in his case, well deserved. More than once.
I forgot some people need the ignore feature to ignore a username. I'm going to start a thread titled "who do you officially and unofficially have on ignore."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta
His dissembling is disingenuous.
This sentence made me dizzy.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are the first or the last sorority or women's fraternity that doesn't make you the best. Why is everyone assumgin such a thing?

I suppose this question is better for local organizations. Theta, Phi Mu, or even ADPhi may have been the first that women's fraternities or sororities that went National but what about the smaller, less known groups like Phi Nu?

I left my Baird's manual upstate. Maybe I'll find an older copy online. I was just curious if anyone had found any women's fraternity that came before Theta.

And I'll state it again, first or last, it doesn't make your GLO the best.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas View Post
If you are the first or the last sorority or women's fraternity that doesn't make you the best. Why is everyone assumgin such a thing?

I suppose this question is better for local organizations. Theta, Phi Mu, or even ADPhi may have been the first that women's fraternities or sororities that went National but what about the smaller, less known groups like Phi Nu?

I left my Baird's manual upstate. Maybe I'll find an older copy online. I was just curious if anyone had found any women's fraternity that came before Theta.

And I'll state it again, first or last, it doesn't make your GLO the best.
Absolutely NO ONE has mentioned that or even implied it! Why would you say something so negative and completely untrue? Not a single person here has done anything but explain what our organizations were founded to do and the purpose that we served at inception... and we have been pretty friendly and panhellenic about it.

I see no one trying to claim "the best", not a SINGLE time. Indeed, I see many talking about being "first" as being somewhat silly in the great scheme of things. We ALL have things to be very proud of in our organization's founding.

Quit trying to make trouble where none exists. Shame on you
Old 05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Absolutely NO ONE has mentioned that or even implied it! Why would you say something so negative and completely untrue? Not a single person here has done anything but explain what our organizations were founded to do and the purpose that we served at inception... and we have been pretty friendly and panhellenic about it.

I see no one trying to claim "the best", not a SINGLE time. Indeed, I see many talking about being "first" as being somewhat silly in the great scheme of things. We ALL have things to be very proud of in our organization's founding.

Quit trying to make trouble where none exists. Shame on you

Thank you for posting this!!! It was exactly what I was thinking!! I was actually enjoying the small historic stories being provided! Thank you for Theta story, very interesting.