Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,359
1 members and 1,358 guests
UW_dawg
View Poll Results: Do You Believe in Evolution?
Yes 44 89.80%
No 2 4.08%
Maybe so 1 2.04%
What is evolution? 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2013, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm leaning more towards the theory of humans being genetically modified by aliens.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Alien vs. Predator all over again.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Keeping religion out of public school science classes includes not allowing teachers and students to mock religion. I know of situations where teachers and students were allowed to laugh at religious explanations and overtly present science as counter to religious doctrine.

I hate the phrase "hard science." It is a ridiculous and inaccurate phrase for many reasons.
I completely agree. Religion should not be addressed in a science class. This further alienates students who might be open to understanding the concepts presented in the class rather than shaming them into abandoning their preconceived religious ideas. Both sides of the coin can be blamed for bad behavior in this realm, though the anti-evolution contingency, from my perspective, as a child educated for 9 years at a private evangelical, Christian school to avoid this very educational topic does an egregious job of miseducation regarding evolution. I was never mocked for my beliefs when I switched to public school or went to college. I do, however, have a vivid memory of a ludicrous explanation of evolution by my fifth grade teacher meant to make us completely disregard a highly complex theory that she probably had never even read anything about. It's easy to fear something that others tell you is bad but you don't really understand.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
The overwhelming agreement in the scientific community is that global warming exists, according only to those who are polled for various pubications. Not that there is some "debate" with both sides given equal weight.
FYP. I'm a well educated scientist. I do not buy 100% into global warming. Do we have an effect? Absolutely. Are we the only impact, or even the majority? No way in hell. It's conceited to think we could destroy the earth. We are just a blip on the earth's timeline.

But, as Dr Phil said, that's better left for it's own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Keeping religion out of public school science classes includes not allowing teachers and students to mock religion. I know of situations where teachers and students were allowed to laugh at religious explanations and overtly present science as counter to religious doctrine.

I hate the phrase "hard science." It is a ridiculous and inaccurate phrase for many reasons.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I completely agree. Religion should not be addressed in a science class. This further alienates students who might be open to understanding the concepts presented in the class rather than shaming them into abandoning their preconceived religious ideas. Both sides of the coin can be blamed for bad behavior in this realm, though the anti-evolution contingency, from my perspective, as a child educated for 9 years at a private evangelical, Christian school to avoid this very educational topic does an egregious job of miseducation regarding evolution. I was never mocked for my beliefs when I switched to public school or went to college. I do, however, have a vivid memory of a ludicrous explanation of evolution by my fifth grade teacher meant to make us completely disregard a highly complex theory that she probably had never even read anything about. It's easy to fear something that others tell you is bad but you don't really understand.
I went to a Catholic school for 13 years. We learned about Creation in religion class. We learned about evolution in science class. When we asked which was more true, we were told "both."
Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post

I went to a Catholic school for 13 years. We learned about Creation in religion class. We learned about evolution in science class. When we asked which was more true, we were told "both."
When I went through the RCIA in the Catholic church, this was a big topic of discussion among those of us converting. We had an incredible priest who a) pointed out the original word in Genesis was not really "day" but something more like "epic" or "era" and the Bible never said HOW God created everything so it could definitely be a combination of both. That always made the most sense to me.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

Thanks to the "non-believers" for casting your vote.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, my question is were any of us there?

Oh, am I hearing a lot of oops, no!

Who said a week was made up of just 7 days? Could days have been centuries?

Who was there who wrote about Jesus. Bible was written many years after on hand me down tales. The Dead Sea Scrolls did make a big change in many things which "MAYBE" proved some mis guided storys and tales!

What Aliens were not there way back when?? Who built The Pyaramids, or Stonehenge?

Must have been some strong dudes, LOL!

How great was the great flood? Was the world flat?What was known about Earth back when?

I just laff my ass off listening to all of this STUFF!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My earth is several billions of years old. I believe in God the Father and the rest of the Nicene Creed. The two do not conflict for me as I was a Geology/History/Business major.