GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,366
0 members and 1,366 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz.lys.91 View Post
I noticed that the national groups with strong bonds to their fellow chapters nearby have it better than those groups that do not. For example: Kappa Sigma Mu Iota chapter has strong bonds with the chapter of Kappa Sigma at University of Maryland and the newest colony at Catholic University. Last year, the Kappa Sigma brothers and alumni brothers hosted an ASL workshop for the chapters nearby. From the pictures, it looked like a fun event and everyone got the opportunity to get to know one another. As for Delta Zeta, and their national philanthropy, there is a somewhat mixed feelings at Gallaudet's chapter. Some women feel that Gallaudet should be taking a stand and educating other chapters, others feel that it is a national philanthropy and they should support their sisters no matter what.

I should also point out that the Deaf/deaf labeling is in the process of being thrown out of the window due to the complexity of labeling and where the line should be drawn. For example: Am I deaf because I was educated with hearing people and did not learn ASL until later or Am I Deaf because I chose Gallaudet University? The lines are extremely blurry so the use of D/d is fading.
It's good that Kappa Sigma has such tight ties. I didn't realize that there were other KS chapters that close.

I'm taking ASL classes through my wife's church so I have a feeling for what could be taught in a workshop.

As for DZ, nothing like the conflicting issues of *being* a philanthropic target and not wanting it...

I think Deaf (or some other similar symbolism) will continue to exist as long as there are those who don't think of being deaf as something that needs to be fixed. (or at least until that percentage drops to where it is for the blind)
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I stutter and I'm a member of ZTA. I remember recruitment being completely terrifying because I knew I had to talk to so many girls, introduce myself a thousand times (introducing yourself is a huge challenge to people who stutter because of time constraint pressures). I guess it worked to my advantage though, because at least it made me stand out and be remembered, at least that's what one of my sisters told me later on.
It put me at ease too, when one of my Recruitment Counselor's was in a wheelchair. She was in another sorority on campus. But just having her there, and in a sorority, meant that I could do it too.