Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby1981 View Post
Something I'm quite sure Dr. King would have not only supported but taken part in and with pride....

Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Of the responses I've read so far, this has stood out:

From yahoo NPHC listserv
Quote:
I remember my first week at Morehouse years ago. My grandfather drove me down to Atlanta from Philadelphia. We arrived at 6am. We were among of the first new students to arrive and start a line of students that eventually number 900. We waited for nearly two hours under the gaze of Martin Luther King Jr., welcoming us and reaffirming something we all already knew - that we were on the threshold of becoming a part of a rich tradition of black men who walk these same halls and sat in these same rooms and left to do great things. We were proud already.

At the end of the day, the school had all new students dress in suits and line up in the center of the campus. From there they marched us past our teary eyed parents into the Martin Luther King International Chapel for the Welcome to the House ceremony. It was truly a memorable occassion for all. They marched us out to the area outside the chapel where all of the parents awaited for the Parents Departing Ceremony. Every mother was crying. The adminstrators told the parents to say goodbye to their boys - it was time to let us go to become men. My grandfather hugged me and smiled. He told me, as I stood there arm in arm with my 900 other freshmen Morehouse brothers, that I looked like a Morehouse Man and that he was proud of me.

For all of the debate about self expression, legality, and even the common sense of Morehouse's new policy, I doubt anyone, including those who support the policy, can truly appreciate what it means to be a Morehouse Man and the need for us to ensure that our traditions and mores are renewed and continued. As members of Greek lettered organizations, I'm certain you all hold your organzations in the highest esteem, rebuking those who seek to tear down your reputions and standards for excellence. Many of us have the same level of affection for Morehouse only the pledge process there is 4 years long! Lol. Morehouse isn't just a school to us, it's our brotherhood and we protect it fiercely. Morehouse isn't perfect but we are striving toward perfection. Whatever your disposition on the school's policy, know that for the most part our community sees it as welcomed recommittment to some of the basic principals that every Morehouse Man understands appreciates and respects. Some students will feel constrained by it, true. But Morehouse is not for everyone. I still feel prividged to have attend Morehouse and I only want those who truly want to be there to be able to call themselves Morehouse Men. I feel the same way about Kappa Alpha Psi.

That's my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 27, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Morehouse Alum
The bottom line, I think, is Morehouse has every right to do this because they are preparing these young men for what the real world has to offer and also just like when a person becomes a member of a greek org, they represent that org weather they are wearing letter or not. I believe the same can be said for the Morehouse man. When he sets foot on or off of the campus, he is a visual reflection of the school regardless of what his personality is. You only get one chance to make a first impression. The way people are reacting to this you would think that someone's mother got shot. Is it really so bad that Morehouse wants it's student's to not only be the future leaders but know how to dress the part?

Something my mother used to say is "We (both parents) wouldn't be doing this if we didn't care. How would you like it if no one cared?"

I think Morehouse is doing the same thing. If they didn't care they wouldn't have done this. A parent should always want what's best for their child? Right?

The schools mission statement:

Mission Statement

Guided by a commitment to excellence, Morehouse, an historically black liberal arts college for men, assumes a special responsibility for teaching students about the history and culture of black people. The college seeks to develop men with disciplined minds, emphasizing the continuing search for truth as a liberating force. Morehouse prepares its students for leadership and service through instructional programs and extracurricular activities that: develop skills in oral and written communications, analytical and critical thinking and interpersonal relationships; foster an understanding and appreciation of the elements and evolution of various cultures and the nature of the physical universe; foster understanding and appreciation of the specific knowledge and skills needed for the pursuit of professional careers and/or graduate study and; cultivate the personal attributes of self-confidence, tolerance, morality, ethical behavior, humility, a global perspective, and a commitment to a social justice.

I think that the dress policy is an action that fits within the mission statement.

Interview on CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...dress.code.cnn

I'm 100% for personal expression but there is always a time and place. I attend an art school. We're ground zero for expression of all types. What Morehouse is saying no to, I see every day not only at my school but in the city I live. I expect that. For what Morehouse is, stands for, perpetuates, I would expect to walk onto that campus and see clean, polished young men preparing themselves to take over the world.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 10-27-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Message to Alumni from President Robert M. Franklin’75

As I was sorting through the numerous responses on the listserv, I came across this:

An Important Message to Alumni from President Robert M. Franklin’75

Dear Alumnus:

Please take a moment to read the following message from President Robert M. Franklin’ 75.

We hope you had a great Homecoming Weekend!

The Morehouse Model: Dressing the Part

Morehouse College recently implemented an “Appropriate Attire Policy.” The policy is the result of more than two years of discussions on aligning our student development with the College’s historical mission of producing educated and ethical leaders. I have said since taking the Office of the President that it is my vision to produce Renaissance Men with a social conscience and global perspective. The Appropriate Attire Policy communicates standards of dress and behavior that reflect the Renaissance Man at Morehouse.

The attire policy is only one element of a comprehensive student development program that not only outlines appropriate on-campus dress, but also challenges students to discuss the balance between individual expression and social responsibility. This is an ageless debate that calls each generation to discuss, discern and formulate solutions that work for their time and their circumstances.

We, better than most, understand the need for self-expression of young African American males in this society. Many of their expressions, such as spoken word and socially conscious rap, styles of dress, and even hairstyles are forms of self-expression designed to further define their identity and set them apart. But other forms, including wearing sagging pants, do-rags and “grillz,” have become associated with negative stereotypes of black manhood.

Since the policy was released, a lot of attention has centered on the standard that prohibits men from wearing women’s clothing on campus. Some critics have concluded that Morehouse seeks to discriminate against certain groups of students, specifically gay, transgendered and bisexual men. This is not our intent. In fact, we have worked diligently to ensure that Morehouse is a safe, inclusive, and respectful community with a strong commitment to social justice, diversity and respectful tolerance.

We welcome lively and creative debate on diversity, civility, and open-mindedness with the understanding that these are qualities that serve as the foundation of every liberal arts institution. As we seek to implement our expectations and values, we have felt it important to identify specific behaviors (like sagging pants, caps in classrooms, profanity in public and aggressive conflict resolution) that are contrary to the College’s traditions.

Sincerely,
Robert M. Franklin’75
Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Here's another thought,

Most or in fact I believe that all public schools in the US have dress codes and Zero Tolerance Policies and some even make their students wear uniforms.

Corporate America has high standards and the purpose for college is to prepare a person for that world so they might as well start their training on the right foot.

Serious. . .

This is a great thread I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments. . . .
Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Great topic! Well said Sorors NinjaPoodle and Serioussigma.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Great topic, excellent pros/cons arguments.

I graduated Spelman and my husband graduated Morehouse. As alumni, we both were sent literature about this "appropriate dress policy", from our colleges, respectively.

The reasons stated to us were that students were getting killed due to their clothing--ie saggy pants, hoochie mama outfits, etc. Gangs who resided in nearby project housing were showing up on campus at night doing nefarious acts while it was unknown if the students were mixed up in it or not. And students were getting hurt because of it.

Of course this out of the sites of the guards and let's just say the camera budgeting is limited.

Last month a young woman who attended Spelman was shot as a bystander during some altercation.

Atlanta PD is unable/unwilling to differentiate the students from the "locals", so they arrest everyone and ask questions later. When a Morehouse student gets arrested, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, et al. are all to happy to print it as headlines in this current news business climate, moreover, if CNN gets a wind of it, guess who is reported...

Seriously, that Morehouse endowment's bottomline is effected. You cannot have Morehouse students looking all kinds of ways being arrested on anybody's media outlet and think that the benefactors won't call and ask questions. Moreover, Morehouse students sign a code of ethics and behavioral statements as Freshmen. If they get arrested they can be expelled...

What is so hard about wearing appropriate dress to class from the unique nature of a Historically African American college in the United States and global leader?

I can understand a young person's choice to desire "freedom of expression" during his collegiate experiences, but seriously, why matriculate at Morehouse College, then? Especially, when there are myriads of colleges and universities in the world that will let him run around in his "birthday suit"? Tis much easier to switch schools than change this ideology, because this system will NEVER change!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 11-03-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

*HI! Sorors BlueReign & SeriousSigma22!*

AKA_Monet, I think you hit the nail on the head.

One other thing. If it were possible, I think some schools should go back to In loco parentis.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 11-03-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
AKA_Monet, I think you hit the nail on the head.

One other thing. If it were possible, I think some schools should go back to In loco parentis.
Thank you for your kind response, not trying to crash your thread.

What you are saying is from Booker T. Washington's "Up From Slavery"--for Tuskegee University.

I think many people who poo-poo-ed HBCU's in the 1980's & 1990's are finding that an HBCU-education is a unique learning complex that actually works for African Americans for really >100 years. That says something.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM

AKA_Monet, thanks for bringing up some points that no one else did. I don't think I realized Morehouse was that close to/in Atlanta proper. (Or more likely, I underestimated how doggone big Atlanta is.)
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
AKA_Monet, thanks for bringing up some points that no one else did. I don't think I realized Morehouse was that close to/in Atlanta proper. (Or more likely, I underestimated how doggone big Atlanta is.)
The Atlanta University Center, that typically includes Spelman/Morehouse are located in the West End Center, off the I-20, nearby I-75. 2-3 Marta stops from Peachtree (how do I know )

I have heard that area has progressively gone downhill due to drugs & violence. While I was there, there were some students involved in serious drug trade, but the guns were not there until I was a senior. I graduated out in time.

Several social determinants are unfulfilled there.

Just like Ninjapoodle said, folks are sending their kids and copious amounts of money so that the schools will watched over these students, they would and EARN a degree the SpelHouse way. The Spelhouse Way includes appropriate dress AND appropriate behavior--i.e. etiquette--a Southern style of etiquette (religious mixed with ethnic cultural customs, rituals and behaviors).

Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Thank you for your kind response, not trying to crash your thread.

What you are saying is from Booker T. Washington's "Up From Slavery"--for Tuskegee University.
I'm going to pick this up and read it. Thanks!

Quote:
I think many people who poo-poo-ed HBCU's in the 1980's & 1990's are finding that an HBCU-education is a unique learning complex that actually works for African Americans for really >100 years. That says something.
It speaks volumes.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Peace All,

Aka_Monet most definitely sealed the deal. I matriculated into Morehouse College years ago and was unimpressed by what I saw and unfortunately experienced. I am glad that this President seems to want to clean up the image of the Morehouse Man. I am saddened that people actually find cause to disagree with this code or "call to proper decorum". What happened to "dress to impress"? Or "your first impression is your best one"? We as Black people should want to embrace those positive attributes that build up our race.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Righteous Kamal,

So true. . .I don't understand why so many young African Americans walk around and refust to conform to the norms of society. It's so easy to go with the flow and still have it going on.

Last edited by SeriousSigma22; 02-06-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

So, as I was reading this month's EBONY mag, I read this article:

Quote:
http://www.ebonyjet.com/politics/edu....aspx?id=17442

A Modern Morehouse Man
Are HBCU traditions at odds with freedom of expression?
August 17, 2010
DO CLOTHES REALLY MAKE THE MAN?
By Kevin Chappell

They do if the man is a Morehouse Man. That’s the overriding opinion of school administrators, faculty, alumni and students who put the brakes on “feminine gender expression” last school year after a group of students showed up to class reportedly wearing tight jeans, blouses, pumps and purses. The cross-dressing students not only prompted a new dress code of sorts at the historically Black all-male school in Atlanta, but they also ignited a debate over everything from homophobia to masculine decorum to freedom of expression.

AT ISSUE: Exactly what does it mean to be a Morehouse Man in 2010?
Click the link to read the rest
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
So, as I was reading this month's EBONY mag, I read this article:

Click the link to read the rest
Interesting read...

As I understood what I read, it wasn't so much the "cross-dressing" as it was all "inappropriate dress" and Morehouse, Bynum, addressed it all at once.

Two things though:

Especially for Morehouse - not opening any worms here, but I did have quite a few friends I graduated with that realized they were gay. This was 20 years ago, so for Black men to say they were gay back in that day was verboten.

Then a close friend of mine who now works at Morehouse said that there was heinous unethical impropriety between Faculty and students, targeting gay ones. How does that help these young mens' self-esteem which is already at odds with the community?

What does this have to do with dress?

With a Lesbian friend of mine stated that sometimes when young males cross dress and they are not getting massively paid to do it like "impersonators", that they are doing it as their only form of protest--essentially to act out--like a cry for help sort of thing. Something I never considered. The Trevor Project for LGBTQI attempts to address this issue from a mental health perspective. Sadly, there is a derth of information for cultural competency in mental health...

So here is a door that can be opened in what is the "healthiest" sexuality preference that a Black male student can have at Morehouse College?