Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,180
3 members and 1,177 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig

Old 10-24-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Swine flu, another fluey virus, strep throat and a crappy cold are going around in this neck of the woods. A number of docs have stopped testing for swine flu, but are testing for strep, obviously, since strep is bacterial, flu is viral, different meds are prescribed to fight the illness. So chances of getting 1 or more of these are pretty good. Great.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Some pediatricians around here are telling parents not to bring their kids to the doctor unless they are *definitely* sick, so they won't catch anything in the waiting room.
This is exactly the advice that is going around the hospital where I intern. I agree with it--if your kid (or you for that matter) has the sniffles or a cough, tuck into bed with some soup and call the family doctor. If there's no fever or the symptoms aren't severe, why go to an ER full of severely sick people? If you don't have the flu when you come in, chances are you will by the time you leave.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My pediatrician's office had the waiting room separated into "well kids" and "sick kids". I soooooooooo wanted to go sit on well kids side and leave my son on the sick kids side.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a client who is a healthcare worker who is being required by her employer, a private hospital, to get the swine flu vaccine as a condition for future employment. She is afraid of the side effects and doesn't want the vaccine. What the hell kind of legal argument does she have?
I think the hospital has a much stronger argument. Her job is to heal sick people in the hospital, many of whom are immune-compromised due to HIV, chemo, organ transplant, etc. An unvaccinated nurse is a danger to THEM. Thus, the request they're making is directly job-related; she cannot be an effective healer in the hospital if she's spreading H1N1, even if it doesn't make _her_ very sick.

I agree that if she's injured from the vaccine, it should come under workers' comp.

Re vaccinating children: Every parent should be thinking about their own child's best interests first, but not to the exclusion of all the other children in the community. So your kid is perfectly healthy, and there are good odds that H1N1 won't hurt him. But it doesn't only affect him; every infected child is a possible disease vector before symptoms get severe enough for you to keep him home. Every unvaccinated kid spreading virus ups the odds that the immunity-compromised child in the class gets H1N1 and is hospitalized (or God forbid, dies). Some of these vulnerable kids CAN'T be vaccinated because their immune systems can't handle it. So they're depending on herd immunity for their very lives. I really hope other parents would give a damn about that kid's life, too.
________
STICKYWETCOUPLE CAM

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
from the insurance company perspective.
Which makes your perspective necessarily evil.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Which makes your perspective necessarily evil.
Haha...you know, I was going to put the "evil perspective" disclaimer on my post, but I knew you'd pick up on it.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The whole idea of Swine Flu Parties is nuts because, according to some reports, H1N1 is causing a disproportionate of pediatric patients dying from complications of the virus.

I saw a pie chart on the CDC or Flu.gov site and can't find it right now.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI, my husband's best friend is recovering in the hospital from complications from swine flu - got sick mid last week, by friday had pneumonia, was hospitalized with fluid in his lungs, by Saturday was on a ventillator, not breathing on his own.

He is getting better now, was moved out of ICU on Tuesday.

So, while I was not a believer that it was a big deal, I'm rethinking that now.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
FYI, my husband's best friend is recovering in the hospital from complications from swine flu - got sick mid last week, by friday had pneumonia, was hospitalized with fluid in his lungs, by Saturday was on a ventillator, not breathing on his own.

He is getting better now, was moved out of ICU on Tuesday.

So, while I was not a believer that it was a big deal, I'm rethinking that now.
The thing is, that could happen with ANY influenza. 36,000 people a year die from the flu typically. Rarely does it end up as complicated as that. For the vast majority, the swine flu will be no worse than a typical upper respiratory virus.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I'm terrified of getting it (or ANY flu - I have major health anxiety), but I'm also afraid of getting the vaccine, mostly because I've heard you can come down with a mild case from the vaccine. Which seems to be the opposite of my goal, which is to not feel sick at all, ever.
No, you can't. The shot is a dead virus, and while the nasal spray contains live viruses, they are attenuated (weakened) to be cold adapted, meaning they can only survive in the cooler temperatures of the nasal passages. You may experience some mild symptoms similar to that of a cold, but nothing compared to what you would have with the swine flu.

While I agree that the flu is being a bit sensationalized, I believe that if you (or your children especially) have the opportunity to get the vaccination, then it is irresponsible not to.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Congestion/runny nose, sore throat, headache.....etc. If you're worried about the symptoms, perhaps you should ask if the shot is available.

My boyfriend is getting over H1N1 and after seeing what it did to him, I would take a cold ANY day.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that any flu bug can be dangerous, it's just with this guy, he's never been sick like that, and it came on so suddenly. I've never seen anything like it. But, I guess it just hit him extra hard.

2 of my son's roommates had it this summer in Austin, and they both just spent some days in bed sleeping non-stop and got over it.

I'm not getting the vaccine (don't think I could, since I'm not at risk), but I'm washing my hands like crazy and trying to steer clear of snifflers.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
So the mild symptoms would be like what? Sore throat? Stuffiness? Nausea? Everyone always says "symptoms" but I'm paranoid and need to know what those are lol.
My son had it last week and I was sick this week but didn't go to the doctor. While I wasn't as sick as he was, I'm assuming that's what I had. Since the pediatrician knows our family (has been treating the kids since they were born) and knows my daughter's asthma can be quite severe, when my son had the flu, he gave me prescriptions for Tamiflu and a Medrol pack for my daughter, just in case. (He actually said for "When" she gets it, not "IF"). Your primary care doc may be willing to do the same for you, knowing your potential for complications. Son had bad headache and a high fever (102.8 while on ibuprofen) with no appetite at all (very rare for the 13 year old boy), then sinus drainage and sore throat, then the cough set in. A fairly typical course for an upper respiratory virus. He did need some breathing treatments when it got to his chest, but he didn't have to use the steroids prescribed for him. Mucinex helped keep it productive and loose for him.

As I said before, my biggest issue was that I bought as much sudafed as I could in a one month time period, ran out and couldn't buy more. So, I had to deal with the congestion without it, but it helped my son a lot. I'm glad I wasn't as congested as he was.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I never get the flu, and only got a flu shot once as I was doing volunteer work in a hospital. However the doctor I saw for the sinus infection from hell told me I need the actual H1N1 shot and I'm on the list to get it. I'd like to thank my agricultural ancestors for being exposed to all kinds of flu linked to animals, and passing those genes and resistance on to me. My roommate had the swine flu, as well as an employee and I didn't get it, even with my jacked up immune system. The concern is that since I was exposed to TB and have positive skin tests that H1N1 could get into my lungs and the TB could become active; so I get the shot instead of the mist. I've been sick since Labor Day and haven't had any fevers, coughing, or crud in my chest so I know I haven't had H1N1.