GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,318
1 members and 1,317 guests
John

Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOPi_Jawbreaker
I think a big part of that is parents explicitly sharing their values with their children, letting their children know what is expected of them (such as no drug use, no underage drinking, drinking in moderation, no pre-marital sex, no unprotected sex, etc.)

It's about teaching young people to be mature, independent thinkers. And it's about teaching young people to deal with their problems in healthy ways (exercise, talking to friends, talking to parents, going for a walk to calm down, etc.) rather than using alcohol or drugs to deal with stress and hurt feelings.
This is a nice sentiment that we'll be confident enough to know when to stop but the other half is changing the culture of drinking behind closed doors. When underage drinkers are about to do go out what do they do? They take a whole bunch of shots, playing some game and then they leave, they don't drink over an extended period of time. When they get up, they experience a different level of intoxication than when they had been sitting. My college tried to discourage games, but wouldn't card anyone who was just walking around campus w/an open container drinking. The idea was that if we were out being social at common spots we'd be less likely to down x number of shots in a short time period. And when something did go wrong, we'd also be more likely to call for help w/out fear of punishment. I won't lie, we did have probelms occasionally. There were people who went to the hospital, but 90% of those people had been playing drinking games behind closed doors - ie sitting for a long period of time w/out moving. I don't think this is a universal solution, my college had a unique segment of the population, but I do think it is something to learn from.

This guy is amazing
http://www.geocities.com/mikegreeny/Greenys
Mike Green talks to EVERY freshman class at my college. He does great things about awareness and reminding people to pay attention. Where I would reccomend David Stollman for a great Recruitment Prog, I would reccomdend Greeny for a great drinking program, I believe that his program is truly that powerful. I saw him three times in college (as a Frosh, an OL and an RA) everytime I got something from it.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

they need to make drinking legal younger so people won't binge drink

I didn't drink that often in college, but I did drink at 8 drinks every time I drank. By jr year that was around 3 or 4 times aweek.

That ruined my liver, and now I bleed everytime I wipe my ass.

Well not every time, but tell them everytime for dramatic effect.

There you go, PSKadvisor. Tell your chapters that, that should cut em down. My story has served as a good example to my chapter.

Seriously, chill when you drink or end up with bloody tp.

Last edited by Optimist Prime; 05-24-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Nope, the Brits/Irish (I live in Northern Ireland...theyre both), DO drink quite a bit, but the culture of binge drinking/drinking games doesn't exist. It's far more social.
That may well be true in Northern Ireland, but I can tell you there is DEFINITELY a strong culture of binge drinking in many parts of England, and far too much antisocial behaviour as a result.

A typical night out in Bedford, for me, is a night IN. Why? Because I am sick to death of being too scared to walk down the High Street which is usually full of broken glass, smelly kebabs and people falling over everywhere -- and of course all of the random fighting isn't exactly very nice either. The police are nowhere to be found. A night out in London is no better, because then I have to face the "vomit comet" train back home with the nasty little thugs who get their kicks out of violence and threats. Nice.....
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Did You ever go over to The Prospect of Whitby Pub, I beleive.

Damn was that an experience to say the least. On the Thames, but had to go by many Junk Yards and pissed off big dogs snarling!

Thank god, got the last ride on the Underground to get back to where I was staying.

Edited to see someone knows about drinking In Britian and how they do!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-28-2006, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what this thread is really about, but just to be clear, I'm for it, pro-binge drinking that is.