GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 623
0 members and 623 guests
No Members online

Old 06-22-2002, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC

Or how about the McDonalds-in-WalMart concept? How's that for proof of the "Aldus Huxley was prescient" theory?

I got it - let's roll two of the biggest commercial titans (and coincidently, signs of the COMING APOCALYPSE) together - then, oh yes, we can have our white trash families utilize the McDonald's like a f-ing babysitter, allowing them to watch TV and stuff their collective face full of greasy garbage while Mommy buys the largest box of Ho-Ho's the Earth can sustain. Nothing like raising your kids in a GOD DAMNED McDonald's, then piling them into the rusty white Chevy cargo van and heading back to the trailer park. It's almost unreal to see it, it's just bizarre.

Hell, might as well be able to pay the (minimum payment on the) credit card bills while you're there, too, I guess. I got it - let's put showers, cots, and maybe a social services desk in there, too - then some of my distant relatives wouldn't ever have to leave the freaking Wal-Mart.

Society is swirling around the porcelain, for sure.

WELCOME TO AMERICA!!
Old 06-22-2002, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MooseGirl
But you know what, not everything is cheaper, and besides you can spend your money on gas to get there.
Hmm...speaking of gas....I would not be surprised at all if they would to build a filling station on the parking lot some day.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-22-2002, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus

Hmm...speaking of gas....I would not be surprised at all if they would to build a filling station on the parking lot some day.
They have. I can gas up at any of the 4 superwalmarts here in San Antonio.

They are also selling cars in the Houston Markets.

As a side note, last night after drinking I convinced my roomate to take me to walmart so I could by some coax cable for the dish so I could watch TV in my room. I ended up shopping. Dropped about $40 bones. I have decided that I can only handle walmart when I am loaded. Wasnt that bad. Did get some messed up stuff tho. heheh. Neoploitan Ice Cream, Socks, Armorall and Coax cable. Only in Walmart.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
I hate Walmarts, because it kills local business. Everyone now goes to the chainlink stores like K-mart or Walmart, and the local businesses hurts because of that.

I try not to go to Walmart so often, if I can, I would go to Main Street and buy something from the locals.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL Can I play?

I worked for Walmart in college and just after I graduated, so I can't say all bad things about the company. Here's a manager story for ya', though.

I got married 2 days after Christmas the year I graduated from college, and I was still working there. So, I went to fill out the request form for time off. The manager told me I could only have the day before, the day of, and the day after my wedding off. Why? Because he desperately needed me there to help with returns following the holiday. I worked in health and beauty. I held keys, so I couldn't even leave the department, let alone do any returns.
By the way, he also asked if we would consider getting married in the snack bar so I could go to back to work as soon as the wedding was over.

Oh, sure. We can do that.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking LOL

LOL I have jsut gotten home from a 7 hour shift waiting tables..........i think i got some of those white trash ppl....and this thread has now put me in a good mood.........and i mus tsay all of this is right, but in college station all you have is walmart,
but my pet peeve is those ladies who have kids screaming at the top of thier lungs for a toy or some crap, and thier parents are just shopping along not taking care of the kid or the problem and they can be heard screaming a mile away!
Old 06-23-2002, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's just because I'm a psychology major, but I LOVE going to Wal Mart at about 2am, to take a study break or something, and watch all the people. The day time is entertaining enough, but in the middle of the night, it's 10 times better. It's like real life Jerry Springer. We have 2 Super WalMarts near my school. One is decidedly in the ghetto, and the other is in a fairly nice part of town, but is close enough to the outskirts that they get all the WT folks. These people are so entertaining to watch and my friends and I often try to figure out their "story." You know, like what the heck could those people be doing with a gross of beer? Obviously they must be having a kick a$$ party, maybe we should go talk to them, try to get ourselves invited. Or, wow, that person has been talking to themselves for 10 minutes now. Maybe they have a psychological problem. They look a little crazy...what if they're a serial killer?
I always seem to have to go to WalMart for something. They are definitely a huge resource for social outfits. They have great camo gear, cowboy stuff, cheap kids costumes, and tons of accessories. Actually most of the stuff there is pretty cheap, and the craft/fabric section is great! When you think about it, it's the only place that you can grocery shop, while getting your oil changed, while having your pictures developed, get eyeglasses, and have your hair cut all in the same place! (Not that I would do some of these things at WalMart - esp. getting my hair done - but you could, if you wanted to.)
For those of you who hate the people at WalMart, perhaps you should treat your next visit as not a dreaded trip to the WT hell hole that it truly is, but as a sociological adventure!
Old 06-23-2002, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
I really love the phrase "white trash people" LOL
Old 06-23-2002, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Oz... nah not really ... although sometimes i wonder :-p
Send a message via AIM to ZHLyreGirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
I've never been to Wal Mart. They don't have them here.

Where do you live??? I think, wait i know, i need to move there asap!!
Old 06-23-2002, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: LOL

I use to live rt. behind the Wal Mart at 2818 and Longmire. Isn't there a target now? At that time I loved wal-mart-thought it was the greatest store-WTF? What can I say I was a poor college student and where else can you get your oil changed/tires replaced/car fixed at the same time you shop for household products.

Quote:
Originally posted by LamdaXiDZ
LOL I have jsut gotten home from a 7 hour shift waiting tables..........i think i got some of those white trash ppl....and this thread has now put me in a good mood.........and i mus tsay all of this is right, but in college station all you have is walmart,
but my pet peeve is those ladies who have kids screaming at the top of thier lungs for a toy or some crap, and thier parents are just shopping along not taking care of the kid or the problem and they can be heard screaming a mile away!
Old 06-23-2002, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
CT4...Charlotte Wal Marts

CT4...just have to warn you that the Wal Marts are not good in Charlotte. There is actually one mall in the area that has a Wal Mart in it People called it the "Mall Mart" But yeah, the Wal Marts I have been to in Charlotte....scary, scary stuff
Old 06-23-2002, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Fishman
When I needed eye glasses this time round, I went to WalMart. The girl who helped me was great and went over and beyond and out of her way to make sure I got what I wanted. She was great!
Then I went grocery shopping at the same super WM and the shelves were bare. Hardly any soft drinks left at all. Also I was looking for a clothing item and they were out of the size and color I looking for. Boo. I need a trip to Target, I guess. So, to me WM is good in some ways and bad in others.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaedyKD
One is decidedly in the ghetto, and the other is in a fairly nice part of town, but is close enough to the outskirts that they get all the WT folks. These people are so entertaining to watch and my friends and I often try to figure out their "story." You know, like what the heck could those people be doing with a gross of beer?
Oh, dear God. This actually makes me glad for the strict liquor laws in PA. I cannot imagine some of the wabols that hang out at the Wal-Mart by my dad's, getting their hands on a gross of beer while they're buying their ammo and garden hose.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: CT4...Charlotte Wal Marts

Quote:
Originally posted by ladybug1116
CT4...just have to warn you that the Wal Marts are not good in Charlotte. There is actually one mall in the area that has a Wal Mart in it People called it the "Mall Mart" But yeah, the Wal Marts I have been to in Charlotte....scary, scary stuff

WTF @ Wal Mart in the mall. Thanks for that tip. I mainly do Target now any way but I am glad you told me. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Quote:
DeltaPhi94 said:
I got married 2 days after Christmas the year I graduated from college, and I was still working there. So, I went to fill out the request form for time off. The manager told me I could only have the day before, the day of, and the day after my wedding off. Why? Because he desperately needed me there to help with returns following the holiday. I worked in health and beauty. I held keys, so I couldn't even leave the department, let alone do any returns.
By the way, he also asked if we would consider getting married in the snack bar so I could go to back to work as soon as the wedding was over.

Oh, sure. We can do that.
CTFU @ your manager. Did you quit because I would have.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
I've never been to Wal Mart. They don't have them here. I have been to K-Mart. My family saw Martha Stewart shopping there.
Martha Stewart? That cannot be a good thing.

Seriously, and it's unfortunate, I have to go there to purchase a certain brand of antiperspirant. They and Walgreens are the only two chains that carry them. And I don't like spending extra money if I don't have to. I lost my PX (military exchange) privileges a long time ago.