GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,511
1 members and 1,510 guests
Happy Alum

Old 09-14-2005, 05:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
One greek house has already been demolished and rebuilt as townhomes. It looks like Sigma Chi is going the same route. Chi Omega is adjacent to Sig's house. Tri Delt is across the street from Chi O. I believe there is more to this story than just a crack down on greeks (not that it was needed, but it's just a storefront story in my mind).
To be clear, the Sigma Chi house noted above is the former chapter house, not the current one.

The Beta Tau Chapter of Sigma Chi is still at Colorado State. My understanding is that the chapter sold their old house and moved to a new one. I don't know why it (the old house) is boarded up.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

"It isn't a case of . . . getting drunk at 5 a.m. and then throwing up and blacking out. It was more like a few drinks and then passing out or going to class," Selvy, the IFC president, said.

I'm sure this would have made all of their founders proud.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
To be clear, the Sigma Chi house noted above is the former chapter house, not the current one.

The Beta Tau Chapter of Sigma Chi is still at Colorado State. My understanding is that the chapter sold their old house and moved to a new one. I don't know why it (the old house) is boarded up.
Correct, but there seems to be a lot of real estate activity happening in this area - that's my cause for concern.

Glad to see Sigs still there - I know they were really struggling about 10 years ago, and seemed to be turning things around.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
"It isn't a case of . . . getting drunk at 5 a.m. and then throwing up and blacking out. It was more like a few drinks and then passing out or going to class," Selvy, the IFC president, said.

I think he means passing out in the "It's really early in the morning and I am tired" kind of sense.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Most of our founders (male) existed in atime when drinking was even more common than today. You know that Delta Alum.

Quote:

Old 09-14-2005, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I would argue that the attitude about drinking has changed in the last couple hundred years and that drinking to excess (embarrassing drunken behavior, sickness, blackouts and death) is a relatively new phenomenon.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Most of our founders (male) existed in atime when drinking was even more common than today. You know that Delta Alum.
I can't speak for yours, but our founders (in 1858) probably weren't at the tavern nightly. The curriculum was too demanding.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't speak for yours, but our founders (in 1858) probably weren't at the tavern nightly. The curriculum was too demanding.

OMG, what a true statement!

While We did Drink in College , We did it with a little more decorum!

Today is Binge Drinking and I just dont understand it!

There was a big difference of drinking Socialy instead of Just gettting Screwed UP!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-15-2005, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
When we covered this in athropology it was expressed that drinking used to be more frequent and part of the culture.

In recent years drinking has become more and more frowned upon versus more extreme.

Although there does seem to be a correlation between drinking becoming less frequent and standard in every day life and the degree of drinking. For example, people that didn't grow up with wine at dinner being more likely to drink heavier during social occassions.

Quote:
Originally posted by AngieWashU
I would argue that the attitude about drinking has changed in the last couple hundred years and that drinking to excess (embarrassing drunken behavior, sickness, blackouts and death) is a relatively new phenomenon.