2 members and 1,383 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 03-21-2002, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Earl

Rainman , you keep practicing with your freshly taped cane (notice I didn't spell it with a K), maybe one day you will be the best twirler in the whole wide world. When your doing a difficult move, be careful of the end on the opposite side of the hook. It can sting a little.
Yo, Bobby Earl

Thanx for the word of encouragement. As a long time cane twirler (eight years and counting), I probably am among the world's best in such a talent--well, at least I have the confidence that I am. As far as the opposite end of the hook stinging, you ain't lying about that, don't remind me. Yes, I keep it freshly taped for appearance purposes. As far as spelling kane with a c or a k, well, let's not split hairs, shall we?

Thanx again and see ya 'round.

Da Rain Man
Old 08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
cjbachus

When I attended to Austin Peay State University, I visited Tennessee State University with some of my friends. We were walking around the campus and saw some AKAs with canes. I have always seen Kappas (and the only ones) with Kanes. I guess it is okay. At the same time, it does look tacky when I see the Sigmas and Que Dogs with Kanes because most of the time they are crawling on the floor like ants!!!!!!!!!!! Oh by the way, I am a member of the Sophisticated and Elegant Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by cjbachus
When I attended to Austin Peay State University, I visited Tennessee State University with some of my friends. We were walking around the campus and saw some AKAs with canes. I have always seen Kappas (and the only ones) with Kanes. I guess it is okay. At the same time, it does look tacky when I see the Sigmas and Que Dogs with Kanes because most of the time they are crawling on the floor like ants!!!!!!!!!!! Oh by the way, I am a member of the Sophisticated and Elegant Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Pardon KAPsi for interrupting the thread, but welcome cjbachus. Please come over to AKA Ave. and introduce yourself.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to carmelafox
Alphas with canes! That would be some ridiculous stuff to see. I've seen sigmas, sgrhos, AKAs, and even my sorors (DST) use canes so I don't think it should be a big issue. Although the cane is most associated with them men of Kappa Alpha Psi, so it doesn't suprise me that some Kappas may find it offensive to see other organizations use it for show. By the way, the day I see a Que or Alpha pick up a cane is the day pigs fly!
Old 08-18-2002, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
okay...

This thread is definitely on its way to winning the most stupid thread award.

Folks you are revealing how little exposure you really have in NPHC life...

Its not cool. And it just reads as plain ignorant.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Hey Girl! (FinerWoman)

It is amazing, isn't it?
Old 08-30-2002, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have seen all the NPHC orgs with canes even my own Sorors. However, I prefer not to see my Sorors with canes because it just disturbs me I don't know why.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ENDROAD
I have seen all the NPHC orgs with canes even my own Sorors. However, I prefer not to see my Sorors with canes because it just disturbs me I don't know why.
You ain't never see no Ques with canes!!! unless they were clownin' the Kappas.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

LOL!

This is why I love those Ques! they're so "doggone" real.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Kanes to Nupes...

The truth is....
If some of you greeks stop looking at your fraternal history from the last 3 lines and look deep into the past, you will find that members of each and everyone of your organizations carried canes. In the past, canes were a representation of presitge, wealth, and respect. Canes were a symbol of honor and so, many, many men carried them within the BGLO's.Ques...oh, sorry...Omega men, Alpha's Kappa's and Sigma's. As far as the men of Kappa Alpha Psi goes...they carry it in remembrence of Paul W. Caine who died in 1922 due to an explosion at his business. So understand, to Kappa's, this kane is a connection, a remembrance, and a dedication to a fallen brother. Not mearly a piece of wood with electrical tape around it. To them, it really is sacred. That is why they are so close to it. The men of Phi Beta Sigma were not the first to carry canes, but they were the first to step with them in a rythmic way. You see, stepping is a hand me down of African dance and military drill and ceremony movements. Soldiers returning from the military incorporated these drill movements into what has evolved as modern day stepping. The men of Phi Beta & KAY first used the "walking" version of the cane while the men of KAY eventualy cut the cane and used the shortened version to "twirl" with. And understand this, twirling is very new in comparision of how old the fraternity really is. Twirling became associated with KAY because they "perfected" it if you will. Phi Beta Sigma didn't twirl, they beat the canes on the ground to a rythm, the passed the canes in a ripple fashion, they tossed the canes through the air, but they didn't twirl until after KAY popularized it. Alpha's and Que's abandoned the cane once it became "commercialized" by Phi Beta and KAY. So they embloyed other methods of individualization. And so, to this day, Kappa's and Sigma's carry canes. But for very different reasons.
Like I said, your history runs much deeper then the few ol' heads you see comming back for homecoming. Set yourself on a quest for truth and search. You will be surprised at what you will find.

Once again...Prince Hall Masons lead from the front.

Mr. Wizard of Ahh's
Stand Apart, Stand Alone
Old 11-20-2002, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude, I don't know what the heck you are spouting, but da Ques aint never step with canes. No if, ands, or buts. And the cane was not universal among Sigmas as it was with the Kappas. I'm glad that I know my history from real brothers and not was is past through the net as fact.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Kanes

Listen up hero, you kats have got to read and stop filling in words. We all know Ques didn't step with canes. No one said that. Read highspeed!!! Men, prominent men, members of the organization, great men carried walking canes. Not because they were hurt, not because they had a limp, because it was a symbol of prestige. It was all symbolism hero. Thats how it started young blood. The same way these young chumps run out to get 5 time zone watches and what not. To symbolize that they have advanced from one level to another. Look at you, all bent out of shape because you failed to pay attention to detail. No disrespect intended young man. Just pay closer attention to detail next time.

I will strive to live with love and care...upon the level, by the square.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Kanes

Amazing, I am not even a member of the organization and I knew that. Now how did I know?
To the EAST my brethern, to the EAST.
You must know where you come from to know where you are going.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My apologies, Im sure this is an old forum but I just wanted to add my $19.22. First of all, I totally agree with the last Nupe who responded. SGRHO's don't use our canes for props either, it comes with a historical point of reference for us as well. BGLOS it doesnt matter who did what first, but whatever you do, do it well. Whether its a cane step, a dog hop, a call, a sign, whatever!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fa01Ace
I have never seen any organization other than SG Rho step with a kane, and that does not offend me To tell teh truth I find it attractive for a Rho to know how to handle a kane. And to the best of my knowledge I've only seen Sigmas and every other sorority step with staffs. So if that's whats floats their boat by all means may they continue.