GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,430
0 members and 1,430 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2006, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Two thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally posted by unspokenone25
Thought it was a great movie and like CT said, I can also relate to Kenya. I think a lot of successful black woman can I identify with her character...especially the list(s) that we make for the IBM.
My list is long and well defined, lol. I used to have it written down too after my last break up.

I hope that folks don't think that the movie strictly told us to go find our white man to love. I took from it that love does not always come in the form/package we expect it to. Wendy Raquel Robinson's character found love in a man that she was not expecting to find it in. Our Knight in Shining Armor might wear dentures for his pearly white teeth.

Mike Epps' character gave a very believable and solid performance in his role.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Me and my "special" friend were thoroughly impressed with this film. We loved the fact that it showed us as professional people. Usually in movies you got your 'Huxtable' types but then somewhere in their family you see the 'Evans' family though other relative. I know many black families who have generations of college graduates and professionals. I also liked the fact that it didn't dumb down issues of race and class. I also liked too that even though it shows how being the only black in a white firm is toughs, everyone is not out to get you. If you work hard like Kenya did you will be rewarded. If you go in with a defeatest attitude you will be defeated. Learn how to play the game. Good movie. It will be apart of my DVD collection.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Mr Prayerfull and I played hookie from work on Friday and went to see the matinee. We liked this movie a lot.

HOWEVER - I saw Miss Thang Sanaa on 106 & Park and I'm sorry but that girl is pregnant. I don't see how she can keep denying it. Her belly was seriously bulging in that dress. She's either pregnant or eating too much and spreading like terrorism. I understand there's a new article in Essence where she flat out denies being pregnant. Something's wrong.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Visionary22
I didn't realize Golden Brooks is a soror.

http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/page...ks/index.shtml
Nor did I. Golden was actually a friend of mine at UC Berkeley, but she didn't pledge my chapter.

She must've gone grad at Sarah Lawrence.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prayerfull
Mr Prayerfull and I played hookie from work on Friday and went to see the matinee. We liked this movie a lot.

HOWEVER - I saw Miss Thang Sanaa on 106 & Park and I'm sorry but that girl is pregnant. I don't see how she can keep denying it. Her belly was seriously bulging in that dress. She's either pregnant or eating too much and spreading like terrorism. I understand there's a new article in Essence where she flat out denies being pregnant. Something's wrong.
I really hope she's not pregnant.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to see this movie a couple of days ago. I actually liked it. It was more than the wooden formulaic stuff you normally see in the black romantic comedy genre. It dealt with complex issues of race, class and love and how they interplay in a light but muti-dimensional and realistic way--this is truly unusual!

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So for the dudes who did see this movie, how can I get my husband to go with me? He HATES chick-flicks. HATES them with a passion... And all my single girlfriends and sorors have already seen the movie. And the married girlfriends and sorors have to bring the kids--which means a G-rated movie to start off with...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-16-2006, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

i caught it. it was cool, and sanaa looked right. though no woman could EVER get me to rock the mexican get up. hell no, i gotta be fly.

who's the chick that married mike epps?

she's bad.

i'll be her something new, LOL.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21

who's the chick that married mike epps?

she's bad.

i'll be her something new, LOL.
Wendy Raquel Robinson. She played Principal Greer on the "Steve Harvey Show".
Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
So for the dudes who did see this movie, how can I get my husband to go with me? He HATES chick-flicks. HATES them with a passion... And all my single girlfriends and sorors have already seen the movie. And the married girlfriends and sorors have to bring the kids--which means a G-rated movie to start off with...
As a man what I admired about this movie is that Kenya learned to transcend all the stereotypes and false expectations and see the true nature of a relationship: as Mike Epps character rightly says: it about that personal connection, not all the other stuff. This appealed to me. If there is a male stereotype of some women that turns them off is that they will get pegged by a woman into some category based on some superficial characteristic and not give a man a chance to prove what's he's really all about--a good man, if that 's what he truly is. That was the healthy male-friendly aspect of the movie.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-19-2006, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw the movie as well, but I have to agree with someone else, either Sanaa did not do a googd acting job, or it wasn't very well directed. She never seemed to be that into him.

One thing that struck me as well. Sanaa is my favorite actress and I thought that I couldn't bear to see a white dude with his hands all over my girl, but I never really saw the big deal. It actually seemed kind of natural. Just like two ordinary people
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with you PerroLoco. I finally decided today to see Something New as something different to do on a day off. I loved the movie but was disappointed that Sanaa just seemed a little off. He seemed to be way more into her. The way he looked at her was enough for me!!! Just flash those baby blues at me and paint my toenails, PLEASE!!!!

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 02-23-2006, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

"........ loved the movie but was disappointed that Sanaa just seemed a little off."

Ya'll that was good acting. Sanaa's character was reserved. She didn't want to be or show that she was all into him.

The article in Essence states she would not be involved with a married man or become pregnant by one. I believe her. Plus my Hollywood sources say the Denzel/Sanaa thing is a big time rumor.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Its not a traditional chick flick. I would just tell him its not a chick flick and thats an excellent movie you really want to see . . . with him.

Shrug. Why wouldn't he go?

Otherwise go by yourself I know that you of all people would have no problem just going by yourself and wouldn't miss a movie just because someone else didn't want to go.

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Its not a traditional chick flick. I would just tell him its not a chick flick and thats an excellent movie you really want to see . . . with him.

Shrug. Why wouldn't he go?

Otherwise go by yourself I know that you of all people would have no problem just going by yourself and wouldn't miss a movie just because someone else didn't want to go.
I may go this weekend if I find a time I can go... He does get rather pissy when I actually do go to see a movie without him. And any movie with women and love and relationships--is a chick flick in his mind...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana