GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,548
2 members and 1,546 guests
Cookiez17, UW_dawg

Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Why would you put the fat girls in charge of the food? Didn't they eat it all before it hit the recruitment floor?

We put them in the basement. Problem solved. <runs and hides>
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Did you attend the rush workshops? Are you up to date on points(if your chapter does them) and dues?

Most of the time girls know why they can't vote, or go to formal, or are in the back room-they just don't want to face up to the facts.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

You may be a good recruiter but are there better recruiters? As they have said, not everyone will get the opportunity to recruit.

Have you been MIA?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Did you attend the rush workshops? Are you up to date on points(if your chapter does them) and dues?

Most of the time girls know why they can't vote, or go to formal, or are in the back room-they just don't want to face up to the facts.
That is a really good point you have made. I have attended everything that I was able to that didn't conflict with nursing school's mandatory work and have been on time with dues.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srattynursing View Post
That is a really good point you have made. I have attended everything that I was able to that didn't conflict with nursing school's mandatory work
There you go. Kudos for you for wanting to stay involved, but if you couldn't go to rush workshops, you can't go to rush.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I appreciate all of your comments. I don't know everything and everybody has a different outlook that based on past experiences and beliefs. Therefore, I can't possibly figure out why some decisions are made when I do not get an honest answer originally. I also realize none of you all know the exact reason either. However, there has to be at least one person who has either been in backroom or been in charge of recruitment that can shed a different outlook to it.

Initially, I was bothered about being put in backroom because I came to the conclusion they didn't want me around PNMs, when in nursing school that is what you do and am also trained with therapeutic communication. I appreciate all of your comments and different opinions on the issue. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you're in nursing school, how do you have time to be an active member anyway? Reasoning is probably that you're not going to be around that much, so having you in the front room to influence rushees' decisions (either positively or negatively) is kind of pointless.

And LOL at the whole concept of this being upsetting. Anyone who would have LOVED to be in the back room (hell, who would have loved to have a back room period) throw your hands in the air and wave 'em like a grizzly bear.
I was a permanent "floater" and LOVED it!! Working behind the scenes isnt bad either. I have someone working in that role now that loves it because she still gets to do something, but doesnt have to worry about making small talk which makes her uncomfortable. Depending on your chapter, it can be an honor to serve in that role. I wouldnt make it more of a deal than what it is. Make the best of it! You might end up enjoying it!

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 05-17-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srattynursing View Post
Hi! Last year I was in the front room with all the PNMs. Now, I have been assigned to the back room. I don't understand why and won't get an honest answer from the people who are head over recruitment. I am currently in nursing school and have to talk to people I barely met, so why wouldn't I be a candidate for rushing girls in the front room?

For people that are in charge of recruitment or have dealt with recruitment, what does it mean to be put in the backroom?

It doesn't matter what you say. I just want an honest answer.
Ahh... 'tis the eternal question, isn't it? Why did I get passed up for that promotion when I was sooo qualified? Why didn't that guy call me back? Why is that chick mad dogging me, or.. wait, is she mad dogging me or am I imagining it?

The questions you've asked can be summed up generally as the "why didn't I get something I thought I was qualified for" question, which will pretty much always be a combination of factors: others were maybe more qualified for that role; some decision-maker just didn't want you there for any number of reasons; sometimes it's just dumb luck; you couldn't fulfill the total time commitment; etc.

The more specific issue is that young women aren't very good at directly telling each other any kind of criticism. If you're not getting a straight answer, then the reason is likely that other people were going to be better at recruiting that you are perceived to be. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're bad at it, because as someone else mentioned, even in super-star chapters there going to be the women who just aren't as at ease at recruitment.

The other sorority-specific issue is that there are so many more roles to recruitment than the girls on the recruitment floor. You should feel lucky that your chapter has the membership to fill those roles! Some chapters aren't really good about describing and pumping up the need for all of those decorators, water bearers and helpers, while some chapters are great at recruiting their own members into assignments that they'll enjoy.

Bottom line, all you can do at this point is prove that you're a team player and that you're going to kick butt in whatever role is assigned to you. If you're DYING to be on the floor next year, then tell the recruitment chair about your interest and ask how you can best prepare for such a role.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 05-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
this. it's pretty sad when the recruitment chair has to come in and ask the advisors to keep it down because we were getting a bit too slap happy.

With ~150 actives, I can't remember everyone's name or even really meet all the women. But I remember all the actives that worked in the back with me!
^^ couldn't agree more. The other thing is I always know every ones last name but never a first name. I'm always asking "what's your last name?" then a light bulb goes off in my head!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Bwahahaha...trained in therapeutic communication! Like nurses make better rushers. I'm cracking up over here at the thought that we should put our nursing students up front just because they have been trained in
"therapeutic communications". I know LOTS of nurses, hell, my mother and sister are nurses, but I know plenty who couldn't hold a conversation if you gave them a script.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a sister who became very religious over the summer, and that was all she could talk about with PNMs the first round. I remember some serious behind-the-scenes discussions about finding a way to move her off the floor without offending her.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

My sister was recruitment chair of her chapter last year, and she had to pull a decent recruiter and stick her in the back room because this girl could NOT ever remember the name of our philanthropy. Little sister said every time she walked past this recruiter, she was telling a PNM a different completely wrong philanthropy name (my favorite was the "Red Cross Organization of America").

So if you're dumb, that might be another back room reason.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Ahh... 'tis the eternal question, isn't it? Why did I get passed up for that promotion when I was sooo qualified? Why didn't that guy call me back? Why is that chick mad dogging me, or.. wait, is she mad dogging me or am I imagining it?

The questions you've asked can be summed up generally as the "why didn't I get something I thought I was qualified for" question, which will pretty much always be a combination of factors: others were maybe more qualified for that role; some decision-maker just didn't want you there for any number of reasons; sometimes it's just dumb luck; you couldn't fulfill the total time commitment; etc.

The more specific issue is that young women aren't very good at directly telling each other any kind of criticism. If you're not getting a straight answer, then the reason is likely that other people were going to be better at recruiting that you are perceived to be. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're bad at it, because as someone else mentioned, even in super-star chapters there going to be the women who just aren't as at ease at recruitment.

The other sorority-specific issue is that there are so many more roles to recruitment than the girls on the recruitment floor. You should feel lucky that your chapter has the membership to fill those roles! Some chapters aren't really good about describing and pumping up the need for all of those decorators, water bearers and helpers, while some chapters are great at recruiting their own members into assignments that they'll enjoy.

Bottom line, all you can do at this point is prove that you're a team player and that you're going to kick butt in whatever role is assigned to you. If you're DYING to be on the floor next year, then tell the recruitment chair about your interest and ask how you can best prepare for such a role.

Best answer to this question and one OP should bookmark for answer to other questions that will pop up in her life later on....
Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Answers:

A) You don't represent the sorority well in your appearance.
B) You are awkward or give off a bad first impression.
C) The head of recruitment for your chapter doesn't like you or there is some sort of drama.
D) All of the above.

No house really needs someone baking cookies all day. No house really needs someone upstairs on "bathroom duty". No house really needs someone in the back room "on call" for "whatever might unexpectedly come up". Those are lies to cover for the four possibilities above.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
Answers:

A) You don't represent the sorority well in your appearance.
B) You are awkward or give off a bad first impression.
C) The head of recruitment for your chapter doesn't like you or there is some sort of drama.
D) All of the above.

No house really needs someone baking cookies all day. No house really needs someone upstairs on "bathroom duty". No house really needs someone in the back room "on call" for "whatever might unexpectedly come up". Those are lies to cover for the four possibilities above.
The OP hasn't been back since the day she posted/responded to comments here, so she probably got her answer. And generally, fraternity gentlemen stay away from sorority threads (and vice versa) because there are plenty of qualified people here that can answer an OPs question that have actually experienced what they're talking about.