GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,135
0 members and 1,135 guests
No Members online

Old 09-15-2002, 06:50 PM

Re: sorority/fraternity life @ UB

Quote:
Originally posted by turtle14802
Alfred has already eliminated Greeks, and I can see more state schools doing the same.
The SUNY schools cannot eliminate Greeks since they receive state and federal monies.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: sorority/fraternity life @ UB

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The SUNY schools cannot eliminate Greeks since they receive state and federal monies.
Perhaps its different in NY in the SUNY system, but I know of no federal regulation that prohibits schools from eliminating GLO's. In fact, I know of quite a few state schools that do not allow GLO's on campus.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:08 PM

MysticCat -

It's called HR 6.

http://www.dke.org/roar.html

As far as allowing them "on campus" do you mean campus housing, using campus buildings, recruiting on campus? None of the Penna State System schools have Greeks "on campus" either, but it's mostly because the Greeks have no desire to stay there, and there is no room within the campus limits to build houses.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
It's called HR 6.

http://www.dke.org/roar.html

As far as allowing them "on campus" do you mean campus housing, using campus buildings, recruiting on campus? None of the Penna State System schools have Greeks "on campus" either, but it's mostly because the Greeks have no desire to stay there, and there is no room within the campus limits to build houses.
I mean that GLO's are not recognized by the college/university as approved student groups (which results in an inability to use college/university facilities as a group, recruit on campus, etc.).

My read of House Resolution 6 does not change this -- it does not state that educational institutions risk losing federal funds if they do not recognize GLO's. What HR 6 says is that students cannot be subjected to discrimination or official sanction solely because they engage in constitutionally protected association, including belonging to a GLO. In other words, if GLO's are not recognized by the college and Joe Student pledges one anyway, then the college cannot suspend, expel, reprimand or otherwise sanction Joe Student simply because he pledged the GLO. This in no way requires the educational instutition to recognize the GLO as a student group.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

MysticCat:

I believe that you are correct.

I work on a college campus, and know that they have actually tossed the idea of getting rid of GLO's around a few times (they won't, but that doesn't stop them from thinking about it).

Technically, they could very well ban GLO's from campus or not recognize them.

They do have the right to do so. They can't stop someone from joining a fraternity, but they can withdrawl their support (money, staff, facilities, perks, meeting space, etc.) Not always, but generally speaking a HQ's will not colonize or operate without the University's support. Just doesn't make for a good partnership, or PR.

Scarry thought, huh?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JemmaUK Send a message via MSN to JemmaUK Send a message via Yahoo to JemmaUK
Do you think it will be on the UK MTV channel? I watched the first one!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemmaUK
Do you think it will be on the UK MTV channel? I watched the first one!
Since this thread is 4 YEARS OLD....I'm gonna have to say NO.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 09-03-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JemmaUK Send a message via MSN to JemmaUK Send a message via Yahoo to JemmaUK
Oh okay, my bad! *Stupid Brit*
Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

They should have reruns.. or start a new season
Because I remember watching this show once.. back when I was in Jr High and had no clue what a sorority or a fraternity was.. lol
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by When Doves Cry View Post
They should have reruns.. or start a new season
Because I remember watching this show once.. back when I was in Jr High and had no clue what a sorority or a fraternity was.. lol
These shows are dead and should remain dead.

The producers of Sorority Life approached the NPC sororities with this idea and the NPC made it clear to all her chapters that we were not to have anything to do with MTV and sorority life, which is why all 3 seasons of SL were non-NPC sororities.

It's bad enough to see Greek Life represented negatively in works of fiction, so why would you want to see idiots doing just that in real life? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any good coming from any of the SL or FL seasons. While it wasn't the trainwreck I thought it was gonna be, all I remember is the drama and the hazing. But that's what MTV wants, right? You don't really want this representing you and Greek Life, do you?

I cringe at the thought of young girls thinking "Sorority Life" is the real deal and that that's what sorority life is really all about.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, like I said, I don't remember the show because I only watched like one episode and it was a long time ago. I wasn't even in high school back then.
I didn't know it was that horrible..
Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
These shows are dead and should remain dead.

The producers of Sorority Life approached the NPC sororities with this idea and the NPC made it clear to all her chapters that we were not to have anything to do with MTV and sorority life, which is why all 3 seasons of SL were non-NPC sororities.

It's bad enough to see Greek Life represented negatively in works of fiction, so why would you want to see idiots doing just that in real life? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any good coming from any of the SL or FL seasons. While it wasn't the trainwreck I thought it was gonna be, all I remember is the drama and the hazing. But that's what MTV wants, right? You don't really want this representing you and Greek Life, do you?

I cringe at the thought of young girls thinking "Sorority Life" is the real deal and that that's what sorority life is really all about.
Even though SL is a trainwreck of a show and an idea....it was a bit of a guilty pleasure...I wish I could get episodes on DVD or something.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
Even though SL is a trainwreck of a show and an idea....it was a bit of a guilty pleasure...I wish I could get episodes on DVD or something.
LOL, despite what I said earlier, I did enjoy the inaugural (SAEPi) season. The girls in the 2nd and last season just plain 'ol pissed me off.

A close HS friend of mine is a member of Zeta Sigma Phi, the USC sorority featured in SL3. She was already an alumna of the sorority when filming began and has had nothing nothing to do with them since SL3 aired. I guess we have them to thank for making it so boring that MTV didn't want to do it anymore!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
The premise of the show had potential but it was executed terribly and the network was the worst choice for any serious greek letter organization.

PBS, A&E, TVOne, and others could do a documentary/reality thingy for a semester or two and make it work a little more dignity. MTV couldn't survive without explosive drama, catfights, impulsive behavior, etc. No matter what happened during the semester, every not-so-good experience would get promoted over the productive, important work that most fraternities and sororities had been working on the whole time.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I just don't think even the PBS thing would work. If they want to capture the "average" sorority experience, it just wouldn't be interesting to watch. Now, if they wanted to do something like follow a girl through an SEC rush, well, that might be worth watching....although completely unrealistic. Who would cut a girl on national TV(and take the chance of her trashing their name for cutting her)?