GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,167
4 members and 1,163 guests
flirt5721, willTic, Xidelt

Old 12-25-2009, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieAXO View Post
When almost all cardiac arrest patients live on TV. People come into the emergency clinic expecting their dog that has not been breathing for 10 minutes to come back to life-ain't gonna happen-only on TV. I had one guy last week question why we did not shock his dog-well dogs are not like people, most do not go into V fib which is what people do. Also when you die your eyes stay open they don't close as seen on TV.
Or that dead bodies are messy and smell, even when fresh. South Park included it in an episode, but it is often not shown that when one ceases to live their ability to hold in waste fluids does as well and dead bodies are likely to smell of and be covered in urine and feces.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Or that dead bodies are messy and smell, even when fresh. South Park included it in an episode, but it is often not shown that when one ceases to live their ability to hold in waste fluids does as well and dead bodies are likely to smell of and be covered in urine and feces.
Family Guy pointed this out as well. How amusing is it that the cartoons are more realistic!!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Only people from Shreveport, LA would notice this, but in the Kevin Costner/Ashton Kutcher movie The Guardian they filmed in Shreveport at Barksdale Air Force Base. In the movie, they changed it to Barksdale Coast Guard Base in Shreveport, LA which would be pretty ridiculous since Shreveport is about 350 miles from any coast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Well, it's on the coast of the Red River, does that count? Plus, we can fuss at them because Barksdale is actually in Bossier City. Tell 'em that's strike #2!!!
There are Coast Guard stations on rivers...why I dont really know lol.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Well, it's on the coast of the Red River, does that count? Plus, we can fuss at them because Barksdale is actually in Bossier City. Tell 'em that's strike #2!!!
Ha! I'm surprised you know Bossier City! I said Shreveport because I figured people would be more likely to know that name (and because after living their for 10 years, I like to pretend that BC doesn't exist!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
There are Coast Guard stations on rivers...why I dont really know lol.
Really! Wow...you learn something new everyday!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
That was the reason I even called 911 when I found my mother. She hadn't voided, she smelled lovely, and when I cleared her tongue, there was just even of a sigh to start CPR.

I've heard a LOT of military personnel say that they thought (country) was beautiful, but smelled simply awful.

Oh, and The Other Boleyn Girl. Decent chick flick if you cared absolutely nothing about historical facts.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Oh, and The Other Boleyn Girl. Decent chick flick if you cared absolutely nothing about historical facts.
Ditto the Elizabeth movies that Cate Blanchett was in.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

In the movie Speed, the whole bus drama ends at the airport then a minute later they're at Pershing Square and they've brought Sandra Bullock with them. Pershing Square is about 25 miles from the airport in downtown Los Angeles. Probably a two hour drive in L.A. traffic. It's completely silly.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
In the movie Speed, the whole bus drama ends at the airport then a minute later they're at Pershing Square and they've brought Sandra Bullock with them. Pershing Square is about 25 miles from the airport in downtown Los Angeles. Probably a two hour drive in L.A. traffic. It's completely silly.

That movie went from "semi" realistic to "silly" the moment they had it "jump" over a 50 foot gap

Hello, just get off the stupid freeway, while it wasn't completed yet, OMG there were exits!

Plus, remember how the subway jumps the track around Gromans Chinese theater, not sure how close the subway is to that landmark, but that was pretty crazy.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-26-2009, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Ditto the Elizabeth movies that Cate Blanchett was in.
I actually liked the first one, thought the sequel was lame.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-26-2009, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I liked the first one too! Besides, it has a great line in it, "I am my father's daughter. I am not afraid of anything!"

My sister and I like to use that quote (British accent included.)

Old 12-26-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
It is good if you're just watching it as a movie. The historical eff-ups are what annoyed me. The whole banishing Robert Dudley part was completely false. It makes it seem like her whole outlook on life changed just because he screwed her over, which is a total affront to who she really was IMO.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Got this from another website:

My personal pet peeves: people holding their guns sideway.
A friend of mine is an actor and former cop, and now gets hired as a police consultant for films depicting cops in any way. He shows them how to hold their guns, how to stand offensively and defensively, how to enter a building, etc.

Pretty cool business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
My biggest one so far:

In The Day After Tomorrow, the lead characters go to the "tallest building" in Manhattan to save themselves, yet end up at the NY Public Library. Umm... its 5 floors. My apartment building has more floors.

I love how the good portion of the country is freezing, yet Mexico is just fine.
IIRC, they got into the library "just in time" as the flash freeze was happening. It was where they happened to be at that moment.

But that movie, along with all disaster movies, are full of inaccuracies.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 12-26-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

There are no penguins on the north pole!

I can't think of anything else right now.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

2012- Neutrinos suddenly affecting matter and microwaving the core thus liquefying the Earth. Not to mention, driving into a skyscraper while it is falling and out the other side. The ground falling out EVERYtime anyone took off in an airplane. Oh, and building (without spoiling much) those things in the mountains at the end, but yet not making them mountain proof...

Sorority Row- Ok, First, a sorority being allowed to have a house party in that nice house. Second, I dont know of too many sorority parties where actual pillow fights occur all, "sexily" at least. Third, the house mother could have killed the murderer! She was still alive with the gun in her hands...

Not really in a particular movie but in the news. If you ever read stories of GLO's hazing, most of the time I have read them they state "during a fraternity Ritual, the pledge was forced to..." It makes non-greeks think when we talk about rituals that we are talking about binge drinking, borderline gay acts, and stupid acts in general. That really pisses me off.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Ha! I'm surprised you know Bossier City! I said Shreveport because I figured people would be more likely to know that name (and because after living their for 10 years, I like to pretend that BC doesn't exist!)
Yeah, a lot of people like to pretend BC doesn't exist, don't they? My BIL was stationed at Barksdale so, when my parents would send me to visit my sister twice a year, that's where I went. I miss it a lot, it was such a great place to live...though I'm sure I only get to feel that way because I never lived there for more than 10 weeks at a time.
Quote:
That movie went from "semi" realistic to "silly" the moment they had it "jump" over a 50 foot gap

Hello, just get off the stupid freeway, while it wasn't completed yet, OMG there were exits!
Well, they had to stay over a certain speed and you can't do that on side streets. But the whole jump the gap thing was pretty ridiculous.

ETA: Ok, they aren't movies, but they've always bugged me:
1. How is it that on Grey's, Meredith was "dead" for over 2 hours and yet they revived her with no brain damage? Srsly??
2. Two years ago on Days of Our Lives, Chelsea Brady went from being 15 to 18 in a matter of months and she's now a little older than college-age. I know for a fact she was born 12 years ago, I saw that episode. I swear, soaps run by a calendar that no one else has.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl

Last edited by christiangirl; 12-26-2009 at 10:58 PM.