GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,470
1 members and 1,469 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, after looking at your itinerary (and not mentioning the things you've already mentioned/have been suggested), I would suggest:

Chicago: Super Dawgs, the best hot dogs you'll ever eat! If you're not in the mood for hot dogs, an Italian Beef Sandwich is a must. You can't leave without trying one or both of them!

Salt Lake City: The Beehive House, where polygamy reigned supreme!

LA: Do the whole tourist thing! Mann's Chinese Theatre, etc. Marilyn Monroe's star is in front of the McDonald's.

Texas: Try chili made with armadillo. It's kinda skunky, but you'll be able to say you tried it!

MidWest: Whataburger is another great chain not mentioned. So is International House of Pancakes (IHOP).

Columbus: Home of the first American Soccer-Specific Crew Stadium. A fellow Canadian works in the front office and may get you a discount!

I won't add more - you've gotten plenty of ideas! Oh, there's a book that has goofy sites, like where the largest ball of string is - I'm sure someone knows the name. Have a safe & wonderful time!!
Old 04-10-2004, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cuaphi
Casa Bonita as featured in a recent episode of South Park (yes, it's real.) Side note - they actually serve some of the worst mexican food on earth but the novelty of it is worth it..... once.
I agree...the food wasn't good but it was something you have to see once.

Quote:
Originally posted by cutiepatootie

texas or oklahoma BBQ
You have not seen the states until you've....had North Carolina BBQ (Western is better than Eastern and I think they are both better than Texas BBQ) . Although I know you're not coming to the South so this doesn't apply to you.

Also, if you're going to be in San Antonio you've got to go to the Riverwalk and all the fun bars and restaurants there.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL, according to many of these, I've never been to the states.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:00 AM
cutiepatootie

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
too much to do in LA/Orange County.

People have already said In N Out.

I"ll recommend Roscoes Chicken N Waffles or Pinks.

Oh my goodness roscoes chicken and waffles......YUM! my borther took me there once....

pinks hot dogs....oh yeah !
Old 04-11-2004, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KellyB369
IYou have not seen the states until you've....had North Carolina BBQ
Agreed! North Carolina BBQ is my comfort food, my dad used to do barbeques all over the south on the weekends when I was little, cooking NC style BBQ for at least 600 people a weekend. He had his own grill and everything. And his "secret" vinegar sauce is to die for. He only does one a year now for the police department in town but I beg him to make it everytime I am home. Ohhhh it is so good!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Not sure if She will be coming now!

Dont think she knows just How Big OUR Country is and so many things to see and Foodieries to eat at!

OMG, hope There is a lOT of $$$$$$$$$ and TIME TO do this!

What an adventure to doooooo!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-11-2004, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Not sure if She will be coming now!

Dont think she knows just How Big OUR Country is and so many things to see and Foodieries to eat at!
Oh.... a stampede of bison couldn't keep me away! I'm aware there is a _lot_ to see and do... and of course we won't see everything. It's a buffet style vacation - a little of this a little of that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
OMG, hope There is a lOT of $$$$$$$$$ and TIME TO do this!

What an adventure to doooooo!
Time: we're going for 7 weeks.... soo long!
Money: I'll just say I'm very thankful to my parents for their large investment in a trip they aren't actually going on. They rock.

Oh and XOMichelle - that you for tipping us off on the whole reservation - I don't know where our heads were. We definately needed to make reservations for Friday and Saturday nights!!
Old 04-11-2004, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
LOL, according to many of these, I've never been to the states.
I realized how many of these are related to eating meat.

You would probably like the milkshakes at In-N-Out, though.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Thumbs up Iowa

Hey! Glad to have you in Iowa. Lots to see in Iowa, and you will see most of it by the highway, since cornfields are the highlights. Talking about breadbasket region,

But some suggestions what to see/do while you are in Iowa:

- visit the Madison County Bridge, about half an hour south of Des Moines in Winterset, Iowa.
- nothing more to describe midwest scene than Grant Wood's works and his views to see Iowan landscape. While you're in Chicago, visit the Chicago Art Museum to see the American Gothic (see some of his works here), and while you're in Iowa, I suggest you to take the Grant Wood scenic byway and see the house background used in American Gothic in Eldon, Iowa.
If you like Grant Wood, see his collections in Ames (home of Iowa State University) - it is all over our Library. Ames is about 40 minutes north of Des Moines.
- Ames, home of one of the finest Greek System in the nation. Visit some Greek houses up here
Old 04-11-2004, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
HOW COULD I FORGET THIS? In Chicago, you absolutely have to see Wrigley Field! Even if you can't get to a Cubs game, just going to the area and soaking up the atmosphere is amazing.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, by the way, since you might speak French - we pronounce Des Moines as "di-moin", not with any funky true French accent. And not many people outside midwest know this, either
Old 04-11-2004, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by queequek
Oh, by the way, since you might speak French - we pronounce Des Moines as "di-moin", not with any funky true French accent. And not many people outside midwest know this, either
My boyfriend and I have be wondering about this. (we had been saying it Deh-Moh-en (en francais si vous plait!)). Thanks so much for clarifying and not making us look like idiots in Iowa!

Oh, and it looks like we're visiting Ames... probably staying over night at ISU at the guest housing.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are staying in Ames, I would recommend our Memorial Union. Well, they don't have the modern style accomodation, but it is cheap and good deal; I think it is $50/night for students and $70/night for non-student. Not sure how picky you are with housing, but I would stay there if I had to stay in Ames. Everything from MU is within walking distance, including all campus and all Greek housings. It is by our beloved Lake LaVerne, Campanile, Central Campus (which was designed by the same firm who designed Central Park in NYC) --> voted to be one of the best Campus in the nation, our Parks library with Grant Wood murals, etc.
Including: Campus Town (where the bars are located) and food, book stores.

Iowa State Memorial Union

Let me know if you have any questions
Old 04-11-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigma3
. . . Been to a horse farm in Kentucky or a horse race in Kentucky. You look to be in Kentucky during Churchill Downs' spring meet in Louisville, you should go and bet on some horses.

Courtney
Old 04-11-2004, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by queequek
I know this...I promise (it might help that both my parents and their families both grew up in the midwest, however )

Things to see around San Diego:
*Drive across the Coronado Bay Bridge
*Walk the grounds of the Hotel Del Coronado...and you can go to the beach from there
*Visit Balboa Park
*Drive through/walk around Hillcrest
*Visit Julian (old small mining town)
*Go take in a ball game at the new Petco Park (for as little as $5 you can sit in the Park at the Park area and basically see everything the ballpark has to offer)
*Ride the roller coaster at Belmont Park

These are the quick things that came to my mind that aren't always the *touristy* things to do