John, MsAnon

Old 09-19-2004, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

co-sign to the nth power!!!

ΑΧΩ
Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
ANOTHER thing every Brothers know is that YES pledges have rights! For a pledge to say "As a pledge you are not granted any rights" shows me that SOMETHING is going wrong in the process.
THANK YOU....that's exactly what bothered me about this particular post. You're not being educated properly if you think this, so trying to educate others is out of the question!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok. I definately understand when you say that the problem is with a non-brother commenting on something that they don't fully understand. And I do agree that going through the pledge process for yourself is something completely different than coming from a family that is Greek. But, when I re-read the posts thinking I might have missed something, here's what I got from it:

ORIGINAL POST: Does anyone else call the pre-brothers new members or is pledge the most common?

Yes, this is posted under an Alpha Phi Omega forum, but it does not distinguish to whom the writer is posing the question. To assume that the writer is questioning the brothers only is like putting words into their mouth that they might not have intended to be there in the first place. So, that said, a person interested in going through a process to recieve new membership, posts a reply that many brothers agree with, but disagree with because of her status.

EDITED REPLY: I am a STUDENT and this is how I see it.

You are a pledge b/c you are pledging your dedication to this fraternity - you become a "new member" when you are initiated. For those who are familiar with BGLO its called "Crossing the burning sands" or "crossing" for short. B/c you are no longer just a regular student, you have crossed over into a new idenity and a new life now

Now, most of us who aren't trying to be contrary to someone because they aren't a brother, can find truth in this statement. Maybe others were confused, or better yet unsure of how to respond to the accurate depiction of a process that many of us went through because the writer of this response isn't a brother, but it is a valid response nonetheless.

POST: That might be how your chapter rolls, but that's not how I roll, and I can and will comment about it.....

If you can comment, why can't PrettyKittyJ?

POST: I am not one of these Brothers who believes in putting pledges BELOW Brothers, but no, you're not my equal when it comes to the knowledge, history, traditions, and even sociology of this Brotherhood. Certain things come with experience -- trial and error. Hell, that's the point of being a PLEDGE before you are a Brother.

This is EXACTLY the point PrettykittyJ was trying to express to you! She meant no disrespect by the post, and in all honesty, I did not sense an arrogant tone with her words. But when her words were taken out of context, of course they are going to be choppy and arrogant.

POST: NO, you have NOT begun a new identity simply because you become an APO Brother. My life was enhanced, I had increased responsibilities, and I had a slew of new obligations.....my life was different, but I had the same identity.

Maybe you should ask PrettyKitty, but because we've already spoken about the "identity" in her post, I know that she didn't mean "wow, I'm in APO now, I am somebody completely different than before I pledged." she meant that with the letters Alpha Phi Omega or whichever letters someone is trying to obtain, there comes a certain responsibility to those letters. If you haven't changed by your pledge process, I feel sad for you, because the whole process is designed to make you think, to make you look inside of yourself and to gain knowledge through experiencing something you may not have done. ou grow. Through knowledge is growth and through growth is the ever adapting identity.

I'm not trying to make anyone defensive, or anything like that, but if this is an open forum with adults that should be able to converse without attacking someone....I still on't understand why there is a problem if everyone's in agreeance with the word. Oh, and since we are being catty-- there is no need for PrettyKittyJ to have her girl "back her up" especially when her word is valid. I'm simply an advocate of people being able to express their opinions WITHOUT being attacked. The problem is, PrettykittyJ sees where you are coming from, you just refuse to see that she's on your side.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKittieJ Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKittieJ
Lightbulb *Ding Ding*

It is now obvious to me that no matter what I say from here on out until When/IF I get my letters is going to be scruntinized and disected and if that is the way that YOUR chapter rolls then so be it, but that is not how it goes on down here....

Here I may speak my opinion IF a Brother feels that it is valid - to me - and the Brother who is in the Chapter where I am pledging, APhiOKUGrl - did not see it as a problem at all - b/c I do have an understanding from both sides. I took to her for counsel before I made the very first post.

As has been said previously the first post was the reply to a question, I made a valid point and I have experience to back it up - thats why I made it.

As for the identity comment - that is your opinion and the way you see it. I believe that during the pledging process you learn things about yourself and you are different. I dont mean it has you completely change and you go from one extreme to another. But this is now a part of you and you are a different person than when you began the process.

As for the "pledge has no rights" comment - maybe I didnt word this correctly as to my particular thought. It is my belief that pledges earn their rights within the organization. Of course you dont take their rights away - thats crazyness. But you are GRANTED certain rights, responsilbilites and obligations once you receive your letters that you have EARNED through the pledging process. There for the words "pledge" and "new member" for the reasons above do not equal each other.

And FINALLY - as for the "so you can learn where we are coming from without being on the defensive and having your girl back you up instead of helping you see where we're coming from." comment -

Im not being defensive - some of you are picking your favorite phrases from my posts and making a mockery of them. I am going to defend myself and my words if I feel that they are being misconstrued and misrepresented - so if thats being "defensive" so be it.

And I am not having "my girl" back me up. APhiOKUGrl is one of my Big Brothers - just as she is YOUR Brother. And seeing as she is in such a position she can be unbiased and see both sides - its just obvious that she agrees with me and see's my point from a view that you and some others are unable to find.

Last edited by PrettyKittieJ; 09-20-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I see how Kappa Upsilon rolls! Good luck to the pledge and her Big!

VirtuousWoman - I think we've found a third side to our bloody triangle? LOL
Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GoldnBlue2004 Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnBlue2004
Quote:
Originally posted by blueGBI
co-sign to the nth power!!!
I second! Enough said.
FL 06

A Phi A...there is no other way.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the dumbest thread ive seen in a long time, Why are we even wasting our time with this mess, she dont know aboutthe frat and just because you were raised in a house full of greek your still not greek, your not a member of APO yet or a black greek, i know me and many other of my apo brother are member of both so we can comment, i hate when people that arent greek but cause there momma or father are greek they think that can talk.

Let me spit some REAL apo knowledge on you sweety, unlike other orgs APO has the right to not allow a "pledge" to become a brother just by not showing the spirit of apo, and right now you dont understand what they means. With your comments you dont seem to understand your place in apo. Yes you do have rights but you are in a learning process right now, you should be on here to ask questions about the frat. Getting knowledge from other brothers and networking. Not perpin with the " this is my 19.25 cent" to me you are a wannabe black greek that is trying to understand apo. I dont think you would have th enerve to go on the black greek thread and saying something like this, well let me just let you know everyone in here loves the frat and take it very seriously, people are just trying to be nice but not me, become a brother then talk, other than that dont say nothing, its pointless that like talking to a brick wall.

You havent even begun to know what apo is about ive been in apo for over 3 years and still learning everyday so take this time to learn and not to question the process, get through it and when you done then fight for what you think is wrong, cause i dont know about other bros but your comments dont mean anything, your not finish and you havent seen the bigger pictrue yet, i swear we need to put a claimer up saying if your a APO pledge finish before you post.

To me you have done some very disrespectful things, comment on our process that we all take seriously, use terms that only brothers use. i mean its not a very good start in your journey to the spirit of APO. I hope you learn and become a good brother but PLEASE FINISH the process and then comment on whatever you want.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CasanovaAPQ

Let me spit some REAL apo knowledge on you sweety, unlike other orgs APO has the right to not allow a "pledge" to become a brother just by not showing the spirit of apo, and right now you dont understand what they means. With your comments you dont seem to understand your place in apo. Yes you do have rights but you are in a learning process right now, you should be on here to ask questions about the frat. Getting knowledge from other brothers and networking. Not perpin with the " this is my 19.25 cent" to me you are a wannabe black greek that is trying to understand apo. I dont think you would have th enerve to go on the black greek thread and saying something like this, well let me just let you know everyone in here loves the frat and take it very seriously, people are just trying to be nice but not me, become a brother then talk, other than that dont say nothing, its pointless that like talking to a brick wall.

You broke it down!

This is why I love this brotherhood.

ΑΧΩ
Old 09-20-2004, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SexySuperstar Send a message via Yahoo to SexySuperstar
Quote:
This is the dumbest thread ive seen in a long time, Why are we even wasting our time with this mess, she dont know aboutthe frat and just because you were raised in a house full of greek your still not greek, your not a member of APO yet or a black greek, i know me and many other of my apo brother are member of both so we can comment, i hate when people that arent greek but cause there momma or father are greek they think that can talk.

You havent even begun to know what apo is about ive been in apo for over 3 years and still learning everyday so take this time to learn and not to question the process, get through it and when you done then fight for what you think is wrong, cause i dont know about other bros but your comments dont mean anything, your not finish and you havent seen the bigger pictrue yet, i swear we need to put a claimer up saying if your a APO pledge finish before you post.

To me you have done some very disrespectful things, comment on our process that we all take seriously, use terms that only brothers use. i mean its not a very good start in your journey to the spirit of APO. I hope you learn and become a good brother but PLEASE FINISH the process and then comment on whatever you want.
Casanova APQ...You have broke it down! That was beautifully said!!!

Alpha Phi Omega
Epsilon Mu- Uinversity of Maryland, College Park
Old 09-20-2004, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is the dumbest thread ive seen in a long time.......
Somebody take a picture.....me and CasanovaAPQ actually agree on something!

A big cosign to you, Brother.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Renegade02
Umm...

Yall are off the chain up in here.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
VirtuousWoman - I think we've found a third side to our bloody triangle? LOL
You're too funny. I'm gonna give you a call tonight.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
This is the dumbest thread ive seen in a long time...
It started out with a very legitimate question. The direction it took, however...that got bad and more divisive than we usually are in here.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, thank you for your best wishes, as a brother in your fraternity, I take them in tow. I think that it is funny that an opinion on things can take a brother's focus off of what we are, as BROTHERS collectively trying to do. We took the same oath and pledged ourselves for the same reason, yet when we disagree on something you want to disrespect my chapter? Ok, feel free to "attack" me and what I have to say as a person, but at least show my chapter some respect. I will respect yours because it is a chapter of the Organization I love and pledged myself to and I expect nothing less from a person that is supposed to be my Brother. We may disagree on things and that's fine, it's human nature, but when it gets down to it, all of our chapters should be about the same thing: Leadership. Friendship and Service.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If you think "I see how your chapter rolls" is an attack, so be it. I'm not on the offensive, so take it for what it is.

Are you done? I am.