GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,386
4 members and 1,382 guests
John, PrettyBoy

Old 07-26-2000, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Man...I've gotten add my 22 cents to this topic.

First of all, I think that as long as he kept his locks under his hat, then there should be NO problem. I can see if his hairstyle actually inhibited him from doing his job, but if it doesn't, then the department needs to stop trippin'.

Nice, well-kept, long, full locks are beautiful and not WILD. Isn't there something wrong with society when black people can't just rock their twists, afros, cornrows, braids, bantu knots, and locks without being looked at funny by other people (it's especially tragic when other black people have the nerve to look at them crazy, but that's a whole diffent topic...) and being discriminated against?

I have had my hair natural now for about six years, and how I wear it is completely dependent on my mood when I wake up in the morning...my ultimate goal is to grow it so long that when I turn my head, I'll be able to hit people in the head with it (j/k). So if someone doesn't want to give me a job or fires me because of my hair, I wouldn't have wanted to work for such a dsicriminatory, narrow-minded institution anyway. I know that I have enough skill, intelligence, and amibition to find a much better opportunity for my professional growth.

Peace, and mad love to those fine, nubian men rockin' them locks!!! (you know you look good...lol)

Paragon #3
Spr. 2000
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. -Eta Chapter
Old 07-26-2000, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I am also a young black women who wears a natural style. At first I used to straighten it for job interviews, but now I don't even worry about it. I'm tired of people's narrow-minded idea of professionalism. Besides, like many people have been saying as long as it's groomed then it's all good.

A locked coworker was discussing his hair with me, and we discovered we both are very attached to it in a spiritual way. I can't describe it..but I'm sure those of you who dared to "give your hair back" know what I mean.

Anywho, things like this happen all the time...in the greek system, on the job, with the family (my mom wanted me to keep perming soooo badly). But I love my hair a lot more than other people's approval.
Old 07-27-2000, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Yuck. Mullets...I can go on forever about how much I hate them. I'm from North Florida (affectionately known as the Redneck Riviera), and I see them ALL THE TIME! I don't see them in Rhode Island (where I go to school)...but I see them here! Men, women, children, black, white, Asian...all looking like Billy Ray Cyrus.

However...the topic at hand...locks. I feel as if they're hygenic, tucked under the hat, and don't interfere with his duties in anyway, he should be allowed to have them. Same goes if there was a mullet-wearing cop.
Old 07-27-2000, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
many people continue to face resistance because of similar myths surrounding the hairstyle -- that people with locks are Rastafarians or from Jamaica, that they are dirty and don't wash their hair, or that they smoke marijuana. Based on these and other stereotypes, people with locks continue to face discrimination and would sometimes call them dreadful...

It is very commonplace to see Rastas with locs. It is important to keep in mind, however, that not all Rastas have locks, and not all locsmen are Rastas. It is just a common characteristic among Rastas, symbolizing deep devotion to the Holy God. Rastas view locks as having biblical origin. In the Old Testament, there are many references to "locs."

Another reason that Rastas wear locs is that locks are a semi-permanent symbol signifying their devotion to Jah. Locks take time to grow, and one can't just change their hairstyle without shaving all of his hair. Therefore, it is a symbol of a commitment.

Old 07-27-2000, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Has anyone ever seen http://www.mulletsgalore.com It is one of the funniest sites I've ever seen!

[/QUOTE]

***lol***. Corbin, thanks for the site. I didn't know what a "mullet" was.

[This message has been edited by tickledpink (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old 07-27-2000, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Dread means threat or danger and it has to do with the fact that the first Rastafarians lived as outcasts and people were afraid of them. Another explanation is that the wearer of the locks is in fear.

Old 07-27-2000, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Back on the original topic, I think as long as they are kept under his hat it shouldn't matter, I assume in such a case this would mean they are fairly short. However, if they have a rule about length of hair, whether it can touch your ears, shoulders, back or whatever, and if these locks are that long, they SHOULD be cut off, trimmed, shortened, or whatever you can do with them.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-27-2000, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all-To those who say that this is not important to Greek life, it is. If a fraternity or sorority discrimates against hair, tatoos, and piercing that would be very important.

Secondly-Here at Bellsouth, ther are many men, and a couple of women, wear their hair natrally. Locked up, cornrolled and braided. I think it's beatiful. But it is wrong for corporations to discriminate against people who wear their hair the way that God gave it to them. And for many African-Americans it is our heritage to braid, loc and cornroll our hair.
And there are many other races where the men grow their hair long. I don't think anyone, esp. males, should HAVE to cut their hair to please corporate America.

------------------
Reach for the Moon, because even if you miss, you will still be among the stars!
-unknown

[This message has been edited by Caramelattsu (edited July 26, 2000).]
Old 07-27-2000, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I am all for banning that mullet hairstyle!!

I agree with you, MamaBuddha, with dropping the word "dread" -- they're only dreadful when not well kept -- as is any hairstyle.
Old 07-27-2000, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

okay okay okay....while we're fresh talking about locks and mullets, PLEASE let me say my peace about mullets!

here in south jersey, we have many varieties of the mullet, my best friend and i actually distribute POINTS to worthy mullet-wearers. the best (and one that should be banned unted all costs) is the spiked mullet: spiked up top, very long and curly in the back worn on a man (or woman, for that matter) with a muscle t-shirt and a beer belly.

whew...i HAD to get that out of my system. as for locks, i think they're goregous. a sister of mine liz dated a man named dwayne with the most beautiful locks. i loved dwayne for it (and for the fact that he said i had nice lips, but that's different...) if i could grow locks and make it look good, i would...

etienne

oh, and mama buddah, i thought your "keep it moving" comment was just about hilarious!

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos
Old 07-27-2000, 09:22 AM
girlietoo

Lightbulb

Hellooooo,
i see this situation as nothing more than a safety concern. living in nyc there is no way that police officers can have hair in the way. whether it is tied back or left down it is not permitted by the police dept. one is aware of these rules and regulations before they graduate from the academy so if there is such a problem then do not do it!!
i work in corporate america in nyc and the environment that i work in allows dreds, pink hair, basically anything fashionable. in some of these small towns in the us maybe this type of nonconformism is not accepted, but in nyc hell yeah!!
Old 07-27-2000, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

girlietoo, what are you talking about. You sound like a fool. NYC is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world! It makes no sense to deny this man the right to practice freedom of religion. And while you brought up the pink hair thing, let me make this crystal clear:

It's NOT the same thing
A man being allowed to wear his hair in it's NATURAL state is not to be compared to a person who deliberately dyes or chemically treats their hair in order to stand out. This should not be compared to body piercings either. You choose to pierce your body. You choose to tattoo your body. These are changes that are made by you. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just saying that it's not fair to make it akin to what this man was doing. In essence, the police department is telling him NOT to be natural. There is something terribly wrong with that. He's not trying to make a statement, he's simply trying to live his life as the man that God created him, the way that God created him.

[This message has been edited by thatgirl (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old 07-27-2000, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't know what a mullet was either until I went into the official mullet website
If we're gonna be fair, let's be fair...people with mullets have the same right to wear their hair anyway they choose, as does people with locs, perms, mohawks, pink hair etc...WHY anyone would want to wear a mullet hairdo is beyond me though!
Old 07-27-2000, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok. people don' t hurt me , but let's play the devil' s advocate. Someone mentionned that the guy's dread locs were an expression of his religion. Well from what I understand this country is supposed to be laic so I could see somehow why in a PUBLIC insistution, the demonstration of one's religious beliefs could not be allowed. Another person mentionned, that if a Jewish was coming to work with his religious " hat" nothing might be said to him... well we all know what happened when a school wanted to displaced the ten commandement in front of their main gate... ...
Anyway I understand that someone would want to wear their hair naturally, (well I am too), it is fine for corporate america but when you work for the government there are certain regulations that you have to abide to because they are inherent to the "constitution of this country as far as religion considerations". That was just a thought!
Have a blessed day all.
Old 07-27-2000, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

^5 to my soror Deltabrat and my sistafriends thatgirl and Black Diamond.

it brings joyous tears to my ears to see all...those who are natural!!!

Soror DeltaBrat..let me find out you are sporting the baldy...that is so fly (remember that word?)