Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,266
2 members and 1,264 guests
IllyPolly, LaneSig

Old 01-14-2002, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

YAY! U of A! Go Wildcats! (Is there a KD chapter there? )

Just wanted to let you all know that I'll be cutting down. I go across the Atlantic tomorrow, so this will probably be my last regular GC check. Good luck with the college thing, newbie!
Old 01-15-2002, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Wonderful!

Hey Newbie! I am so glad that things are finally starting to work out for you. You seem like a very rad girl. In previous posts, you asked for college rankings to show your parents, etc. That got me thinking ... have you ever checked out the Yale Daily News guide for colleges? Very honest, unbiased, tell-it-like-you-see-it book, with reviews of the schools by the students themselves. That might not help you convince your parents, but that might also let you compare the colleges that you’re interested in, and sort out your feelings. Just one of my random thoughts!

Also, the rush stories got me thinking ... I think it would be wonderful if you could post journal-like entries in this thread regarding how your senior year is shaping up, if you're excited/frightened about college, etc. ... I think the selfish side of me is hoping for more stories like rush! lol. It would be interesting to read about your feelings and anxieties during this confusing time.

Anybody else wanna see stories?

He he he ... I hope that isn't asking too much of you, Newbie. Just thought you were a cool girl and would love to read more about this whole college-decision thang! Good luck! We're behind you, every step of the way ...
Old 01-20-2002, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My "diary" entry

Prospectiverushee, AlphaChiGirl, and CA Theta, I apologize for not responding earlier!

CA theta, sure, I wouldn't mind starting a journal-type entry thingey. Here goes, just for you! LOL

Sunday, January 20, 2002

Dear Diary,

In the past few days, I've been increasingly thinking about how March is coming up fast, and how my destiny is about to be "defined" with those envelopes in the mail. I'm just so worried because there is a part of me that majorly doubts that I will be accepted into my top three choices. I also am obsessed with the University of Southern California and I know I will be heartbroken if I'm not accepted, or if I don't get enough financial aid to go. My parents keep on telling me not to get my hopes up because it is easier that way for my heart to get squashed. But I can't help it; I'm in love with the school. What's not to like about USC? Though the location and the $$$ leave little to be desired, every other aspect of the school is so appealing. I can imagine myself there, with the beautiful Romanesque brick buildings behind me and the football field in front of me. I love the USC songs of "Tribute to Troy" and "Fanfare" among others. They send shivers up my spine each time I listen to them. Okay, I better stop now before I get my hopes WAY too high and before I offend any of those UCLA alums/students!

People tell me all the time that in the long run, it won't matter which college I did or didn't get into. But to me, it matters so much, at least right now it does. I worry that if I don't get accepted, my parents will remind themselves that I am their failure. I've already "failed" them so many times already, by goofing off/partying way too much sophomore and freshman years, by quitting piano (in Asian-American world, piano is God), by being a rebel. College rejections would just add to that list. I know that in the back of my mind, I will also berate myself for being a failure. I know that college decisions shouldn't determine my self-worth, but in my mind, they sorta do. I went to a family dinner a few days ago and my relatives kept on saying how they hope I go to a prestigious university. They made it clear that it would be shameful to not get into a prestigious university.

People say that if I don't get into my top choices, I could just go to a JC and transfer. But for some reason, that route just doesn't appeal to me at all. I guess I would be ashamed to take that route (and I'm ashamed to write this in this public forum), just because I would feel "incapable" myself and I would also embarrass my family, where it's "prestigious four-year university or bust." For some reason, my pride would make me go to even my safety school (the one that I hate) rather than go to a JC and transfer after two years. I guess I am being too stubborn...

I have been logging onto review.com a lot these past few days and have been reading up on my favorite choices. I just pray that my hopes won't be dashed come March/April.

CA theta, yes, I am so excited about going to college. It is something that I've wanted to do for years. Last year, actually, I had senioritis in March - as a junior! I had friends that were seniors and were so excited about going to college and leaving our old high school behind. I was so jealous and wanted to go to college along with them...as college seems to be the best four years of one's life. Going to my high school has left me more jaded than when I came in as a bright-eyed freshman. I can't wait to go to college and find the variety that my daily high school life seems to lack. Of course, I can't wait to rush and hopefully join a sorority. I've wanted to join a sorority since I was little. The sisterhood and family aspect appeal so much, because I know that college will also be a confusing time, especially since I will be in a totally different environment.

For some reason, I don't feel much like a senior. I know I am, but I just don't feel it. Going into this year, I thought that senior year was a time for plain fun and nothing but memories. Instead, I find myself constantly worried and wondering which direction I will be headed next year. I feel like I have matured a lot (which is good), but that I have lost some of the optimism and vitality that people always knew me by. Oh well, second semester is just a few days away (thank God), so I'm sure the fun will come rolling in!

Hope I haven't bored you guys to tears! Sorry that my "story" seems to lack transition...

Until next time,

Last edited by newbie; 01-20-2002 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry I officially HATE my parents ...

I HATE THEM. I swear.

So now they tell me I can't fuckin apply to the U of A!!!!

I'm so mad right now I can't even think.

Basically they say they don't give a shit about my happiness as long as I go to a premier school.

They want me to go to the damn safety school I hate.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tell me Lord, why did I get stuck with these people????????????????????????

It hurts, really does. They were laughing at the thought of me going to the Uof A, laughing because they said that I only care about sports. WTF are they thinking??????

Last edited by newbie; 01-20-2002 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Car, could you just apply on your own and pay the application fee out of your pocket? If you don't have it, I'm sure we could start a "newbie application fund." (Sorry...poor attempt at humor to try to make you smile, because I know you're upset.)

I know that it is tough to stand up to your parents...but ultimately it is YOUR decision to make. That is what student loans and scholarships are for.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl
Car, could you just apply on your own and pay the application fee out of your pocket? If you don't have it, I'm sure we could start a "newbie application fund." (Sorry...poor attempt at humor to try to make you smile, because I know you're upset.)

I know that it is tough to stand up to your parents...but ultimately it is YOUR decision to make. That is what student loans and scholarships are for.
Thanks Maria, but that won't help sadly, because we were just talking about the FAFSA, and they won't let me list the U of A on the list, so bascially I can't qualify for any scholarships/loans/grants anyway. The way they are acting now, they woulnd't even let me board the plane to even VISIT Tucson.

They are treating me like some prisoner who's dumb and is only going to college for "sports" ...

My parents are so f-ing materialistic and only care about money and that is just so f-ed up. They laughed and said who cares if you're not happy haha at least you won't be going to a no-name school.

I can't wait to get the hell outta this place because as of now I don't want to see either face again!!!
Old 01-21-2002, 01:15 AM
Banned

Sometimes

Sometimes you should be careful what you ask for. I didn't get along too well with my parents either but somehow now I do. And I think you'll realize this at some point. And just food for thought, maybe your parents are thinking about something you aren't thinking about right now...maybe they know something you don't. I wouldn't dare insult you, but just question their intentions. I go to a school which is really hard to get into - at the time, I wanted to go to a school that was comparatively just as "elite" yet more fun, but my parents pushed me towards the school I'm at now. And I appreciate it fully. I'm not on this board too often so I can't always read people's messages, but if you need advice on colleges and all that, I'll try and help - I applied to 25

-The infamous Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie

Thanks Maria, but that won't help sadly, because we were just talking about the FAFSA, and they won't let me list the U of A on the list, so bascially I can't qualify for any scholarships/loans/grants anyway. The way they are acting now, they woulnd't even let me board the plane to even VISIT Tucson.

They are treating me like some prisoner who's dumb and is only going to college for "sports" ...

My parents are so f-ing materialistic and only care about money and that is just so f-ed up. They laughed and said who cares if you're not happy haha at least you won't be going to a no-name school.

I can't wait to get the hell outta this place because as of now I don't want to see either face again!!!
Old 01-21-2002, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
CAR!

I am SO PISSED at your parents for treating you this way!

I can't believe the short-sightedness at play here. Its YOUR LIFE and YOU have to live it.

DO NOT give up my dear! Remain positive and PLEASE get a counselor from school involved!

Amy
Old 01-21-2002, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Go to what school you want. If you are forced to go to a certain school go to it. Then while your are there research the other school and look for ways to transfer there.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry My sister sucks too

My sister was no frickin help too.

Basically I have NO SHOT at going to the UA anymore.

My sister thought it was ridiculous that I wanted to go (after USC and possibly UCSB of course). She was my parent's ally. She was my last hope to convince my parents. But she basically thought the whole idea was really dumb.

MY FAMILY SUCKS. They are calling me "crazy" and misleaded and shallow and every other mean adjective they can think of. I'm so different from the rest of my family that I think I should have been adopted or something!

Last edited by newbie; 01-21-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

newbie-

any update??????
Old 01-23-2002, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I couldnt agree with you more. I was a little irritated at my parents that I had to pay for school and take out loans but in the end when I paid them off it truly built character.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl

Old 01-25-2002, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412
newbie-

any update??????
Hey Amy (and everybody else),

I am feeling tons better since I last posted. I have since thought about everything a lot and have done tons of diary writing in the quest for an answer. I have concluded that the U of A would just be an impossible, impossible dream. The careers that I'm considering require many years of school and very little pay for at least the first five-ten years. Taking out many loans would not be a smart option for me, as I would put myself into a miserable stream of debt.

However, I am content about my decision, for some reason. I just don't want to hurt my parents, b/c even though we fight constantly, I love them dearly. I know that if I were to rebel and go to the U of A against their wishes, I would be the pariah of the entire extended family -- honestly. You'd have to be a part of my family (or at least come from the same background) to totally understand. What I just said is the absolute truth. The truth is, they would not come around to the idea of the U of A. They are extremely stubborn and very fixed in their beliefs. I would never hear the end of it and I just don't want to be the outcast of my family.

I guess in the back of my mind I knew, from the start, that the U of A wouldn't be a realistic option for me. I just knew, but I never admitted it to myself. I have to face the facts, though, which say that with what I want to do -- psychology or teaching psychology -- I cannot afford to separate from my family (I know, how dramatic, but extremely true). It would not be in my best interests.

Now, I can only hope for the best -- that I can attend one of those top three choices this fall. If not, then I won't know what to do. For sure, I'll be crushed and bitter (at least initially) if I have to attend my safety school. But now, I'm just trying to remain positive, as I know that's so important as March approaches.

Good news, though, in all this bleakness. I found out yesterday that I got a 4.0 this fall! I hope USC counts this semester, I really do. That would strengthen my case for admission tremendously. I will call them tomorrow and hope they say, "Yes, we would like to see your mid-year report." (The UC system, unfortunately, does not count senior year -- dammit!) I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment b/c this year I did not work too hard for school at all -- I was wrapped up in all the college application-stuff. But I guess God was smiling down on me!

Another piece of good news...my dad came to school and happened to see my psychology/government teacher. The teacher said very good things about me and told my dad I would be brilliant in the area of psychology. I was so happy because my dad finally said he was proud of me. That meant so much to me.

Oh yeah, I'm extremely excited because soon my friends and I get to start on our community service project. We have chosen to work with impoverished children. I'm so looking forward to that -- children make my day! A simple innocent smile from them can make any bad day so much better. Aren't children the best?

Alright, my eyes are hurting and I have to catch up on my PMs/emails! Will update again soon!

Last edited by newbie; 01-25-2002 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tridgirl
I know you have decided not to apply to UA I thought I would offer you my information based on growing upt in Tucson and going to school for most of my life two blocks away from the campus, and my best friend going to USC. The schools are very similar, but one big difference I know of is the HUGE emphisis on money, clothes, etc. at USC. My friend loves her school, but she sometimes feels like its way to much pressure to dress well, party all the time, and get amazing grades. My friends boyfriend is in a frat there and he loves it, USC has a very active greek life and in that way it is very similar to UA. UA is a great school for many majors and its to bad your parents couldn't see past the sports image (ps go CATS!!) to see whats best for you. As someone who didn't end up at the school they thought they would, i had my heart set on NYU, or with people i thought i would, i never dreamed of being in a sorority, it will all work out in the end for the best. Your college education is what you make of it, it doesn't matter what school you go to or who you are friends with its you and only you, not your partents which creates and sustains your experience and ultimately your own happiness.
Old 01-26-2002, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

VERY GOOD ADVICE, tridgirl!

I am a USC alum (as most of you know) and oddly, I didn't feel TOO much pressure on the clothes money thing--but I went to a private prep school for high school, so perhaps I didn't notice it because I grew up with it--I've always been a serious clotheshorse anyway, so that's never been a problem, and I drove what was considered one of the 'right" cars--a VW Jetta. LOL

Academics at USC are VERY competitive, more so every year that passes.

I would suggest calling SCs admissions office and telling them about your grades and then regardless of whether they need them or not--SEND THEM, it can't hurt. I applied early decision (back in the days when they still had that!) so my fall grades weren't factored in, but for regular decision, if memory serves, they were.

Good Luck Car-- I so want to be able to welcome you to the Trojan family--you've got the spirit and drive to be a part of it!!!

Go Trojans!
Amy