Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,136
2 members and 1,134 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-29-2004, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the midst of applying to matriculate for a MS in Biomedical Writing. I already took a few classes and did well in them, so I was able to skip the GRE's (my program has a policy that if you get a B+ or better in 2 classes as a non-matric student, you don't have to take the GRE's).

Good luck to everyone else applying for/pursuing grad school!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cluey
I applied for GAs with an assigned living place, but I'm kind of glad I didn't get it. I would prefer to live off campus, where I can legally have my cat and have my own washer and dryer. I hate lugging boatloads of laundry to the laundrymat. I've done it one time in my life and I don't plan to do it again anytime soon.
That's funny...I applied for one at my school, after years of residential life work. I guess it's easier to decide not to do it when your rent's not $1,500/month, on top of tuition. Plus, I would have gotten cleaning service in my kitchen and bathroom.

I may be a brat, but I'm a (somewhat) frugal one.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I guess it's easier to decide not to do it when your rent's not $1,500/month, on top of tuition.
I think you're right! It makes it easier to justify, at least in my mind, the splurge on an apartment when I don't have to think about paying my graduate school tuition.

BTW, I have decided to go to graduate school. I am accepting their offer. I am planning to move at the end of May and will be starting my classes at Baylor University in the fall.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Grad School?

What do the people in it think of it? How much work is there compared to undergrad? Can you still hold a full-time job without juggling too much?

I am thinking of going back to get a masters in Business. Now that I have a BA in Interior Design, I need something with Business and I thought maybe Business Administration or something.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently in grad school. It's quite a bit more challenging than my undergrad program was, but I'm at a more challenging university. There's no way I could work full-time, keep up with the reading and papers, and keep my sanity. However, I know a LOT of people who do. I think it depends on the individual person, the program, and how rigorous their undergrad program was. Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

There's no way in HELL I would have been able to work a full-time job during my first year of grad school, and I'm really organized. I had a 10 hr gig where I read texts in Italian...it was flexible with my school work, but it was really more than enough. I'm in architecture school--and there's so much emphasis on being in studio all of the time, even though I thought the work wasn't harder than undergrad--there was just more of it.

But, aren't there Executive MBA programs that will allow you to work full-time while taking classes? That might be a good path for you.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I've found it pretty easy to be in grad school part-time in the evenings and work full time. I'm in grad school at Johns Hopkins so it's not exactly as if they allow you to slack for a grad degree from here. I would try and find a program that's part-time.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

i had two part time jobs....and free school with a stipend.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
psych grad schools?

yea- what about good grad schools for psychology- i want to get into clinical- but it needs to have a wide program since i'm still not sure- i just picked up a kaplan book and i'm researching but any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Just re-posting because I got into my program. How is everyone else doing with their academic pursuits?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Althea, if you're in the NYC area, you should check out Fordham, Pace, Farleigh Dickinson, St. John's, or Rutgers. My friend who is starting her Psych PhD in the fall applied to all of those, and they have decent programs (according to her...I have no opinion, since it isn't my field). She was a very good student in undergrad—graduated summa cum laude—if that gives you any indication.

As for the topic at hand, I'm currently going for a master's part-time and working full-time. I haven't had a problem (yet), but I haven't taken many classes so far.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: psych grad schools?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlethiaSi
yea- what about good grad schools for psychology- i want to get into clinical- but it needs to have a wide program since i'm still not sure- i just picked up a kaplan book and i'm researching but any suggestions?
Are you hoping to work as a counselor/psychologist or in more of a research capacity? Are you looking to stay in your general area or is relocation okay?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Now, when you all are talking about graduate school, is it for a Master's or Doctorate degree? Also, what program? That could make the difference in trying to balance work and school.

I personally am working full-time, working towards a Masters in Guidance Counseling (I will complete my first year this June, will graduate May 2005), volunteer in a organization, and is a full-time Mommy. I make things work for me b/c this is what I want to do (get professional degree, change careers). I also enjoy my program very much and I am making very good grades too.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam
Althea, if you're in the NYC area, you should check out Fordham, Pace, Farleigh Dickinson, St. John's, or Rutgers.
Of course, if you're planning on being in NYC, consider NYU or Columbia. Both have highly regarded psychology programs. If you're going to go for a PhD, it makes sense to go to the best programs possible since, with a PhD in the sciences, funding shouldn't be a concern at all.

But, I'm a school snob of the highest degree.

As I said before, being able to work full-time depends on the program. There is no way in hell that one can pursue full-time employment at a good architecture school, unless it's a place that specifically does co-op. There's a reason they call it architorture. It would be like going to law or med school full-time and trying to work. Good freaking luck. Doing well was a little more important to me than making a lot of money.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FeeFee
Now, when you all are talking about graduate school, is it for a Master's or Doctorate degree? Also, what program? That could make the difference in trying to balance work and school.

I personally am working full-time, working towards a Masters in Guidance Counseling (I will complete my first year this June, will graduate May 2005), volunteer in a organization, and is a full-time Mommy. I make things work for me b/c this is what I want to do (get professional degree, change careers). I also enjoy my program very much and I am making very good grades too.
I am working on my Masters in Secondary Education at Vanderbilt. I just finished my first semester and will graduate in May 2005. I'm not working and have no kids, so major thumbs up to you for doing it all!! And doing it well!