Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,524
0 members and 1,524 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2006, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

While in college I was a Political Science major with a minor in English. My goal was to study law and practice family law. Once I started taking classes on the constitution and the supreme court I knew that law school would be a waste of money. Those classes board me to death. There were some people in my classes that thought that stuff was just soooooo interesting and I was just lost in a storm. Once I graduated I said that I would either go into education or social services. I started with social services and I really liked it; I am not creative enough to become a teacher. I am planning to make a career in social services and my present goal is to become a Program Director. I am still debating if I want to stay in welfare to work or go to either mental health or work with children. There is just so many options that I can take.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

To answer the question....

Not in the least! I got my BA in pre-law and I just became a licensed Real Estate Sales Agent. I'd rather be an entrepreneur than an attorney, especially since job security is out the window nowadays. Do I still wanna become an attorney? Maybe in the future once I've traveled on Entrepreneurial Road, but then again, who'd wanna give up on being their own boss?
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me
Old 09-16-2006, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
I'm working in my field. My BA is in sociology with a concentration in Criminology and Criminal Justice. My minor waw Management Information Systems and my MBA is in general Business Administration. I currently am an investigative assistant for a federal law enforcement agency.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 10-14-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cjoanell Send a message via MSN to cjoanell Send a message via Yahoo to cjoanell
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueReign View Post
I'm curious. For those of us who have finished college, are you working in the field of your major or something completely different?
I am working in my field (paralegal) although it's hard to break ground.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cjoanell Send a message via MSN to cjoanell Send a message via Yahoo to cjoanell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina1201 View Post
I'm working in my field. My BA is in sociology with a concentration in Criminology and Criminal Justice. My minor waw Management Information Systems and my MBA is in general Business Administration. I currently am an investigative assistant for a federal law enforcement agency.
Nice...... I switched from Criminal Justice to Paralegal so I could work in the field to pay for law school.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoanell View Post
I am working in my field (paralegal) although it's hard to break ground.
A soror of ours worked as a paralegal for a mid-sized law firm for a while, then got a job at Shell Oil Co working as a paralegal. After much debate with herself, she finally decided to pursue her dream of going to law school. I'm happy to say that she is a 2L and as a Shell employee, I think she was able to take advantage of an 'employer subsidizes education' type program. She works for Shell 20 hrs / week and goes to law school full time. She's loving it. She's in the top section of her law class.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors,
There are a lot of lawyers or folks working on their law degrees! Good luck folks!

Serioussigma22
Old 10-15-2006, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RHOyal Rain Send a message via Yahoo to RHOyal Rain
Well, I have a BA in math, but right before senior year, I decided that I want to go into the hospitality field. So now I'm working on a BS in Hospitality Management. As far as that, I'm not sure what aspect of hospitality I want to go into yet, but I'll have to figure that out by May of 2007, when I graduate.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
A soror of ours worked as a paralegal for a mid-sized law firm for a while, then got a job at Shell Oil Co working as a paralegal. After much debate with herself, she finally decided to pursue her dream of going to law school. I'm happy to say that she is a 2L and as a Shell employee, I think she was able to take advantage of an 'employer subsidizes education' type program. She works for Shell 20 hrs / week and goes to law school full time. She's loving it. She's in the top section of her law class.
Yeah, that's cool. I'm trying to get into a company/firm that will help with all of that. Even if I get into one on the accounting side, since I'll have my AAS in accounting.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's cool. I'm trying to get into a company/firm that will help with all of that. Even if I get into one on the accounting side, since I'll have my AAS in accounting.
Keep at it. Things will work out for you. And, I'm sure I don't have to tell you - network, network, network!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Keep at it. Things will work out for you. And, I'm sure I don't have to tell you - network, network, network!!!!
I sure am trying. I guess I need to get some business cards made up huh...
Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RHOyal Rain Send a message via Yahoo to RHOyal Rain
Hey Sorors and Sisterfriends
http://www.vistaprint.com offers 250 free business cards (they have their logo on the back, you pay shipping). If you don't want the ad on the back you can pay to not have it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I sure am trying. I guess I need to get some business cards made up huh...

Keep it up. !!!
When you go out to network, you may not strike gold everytime, but you will move closer to your goal. The more you are 'out there', the easier it will become.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbt0306 View Post
While in college I was a Political Science major with a minor in English. My goal was to study law and practice family law. Once I started taking classes on the constitution and the supreme court I knew that law school would be a waste of money. Those classes board me to death. There were some people in my classes that thought that stuff was just soooooo interesting and I was just lost in a storm. Once I graduated I said that I would either go into education or social services. I started with social services and I really liked it; I am not creative enough to become a teacher. I am planning to make a career in social services and my present goal is to become a Program Director. I am still debating if I want to stay in welfare to work or go to either mental health or work with children. There is just so many options that I can take.
I also considered becoming a Program Director, and I am also debating whether or not to pursue working in mental health or with children in the future. I have my BA in Sociology and Masters in Social Work (MSW).

It's a jungle out there.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1browngirl Send a message via Yahoo to 1browngirl
I have a BA in History, most folks ask me if I wanted to teach. The answer is NO. I started out as an Animal Science major (wanted to be a vet) and then discovered that I had no interest in Science. So I changed to History because I always had an interest. I probably should have thought about what I was going to do with that degree - but you live and learn.

I'm working on my MBA (HR Management) now, hopefully I'll be finished in December.

Right now I work as a Recruiting Coordinator. But my interest is in Benefits and/or Compensation.

Recently I've been thinking about going back to school for my MLS and becoming a Librarian. I figure, I love to read, so I can use that to my advantage and do something that I like.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've started out as a business major. I also would've taken advantage of co-ops and internships so that I'd have experience and have a much better chance of landing a good job.

Greater Service, Greater Progress since 1922