GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 742
3 members and 739 guests
ggforever, Low D Flat, Phrozen Sands

Old 01-29-2004, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Sushi lover here! My favorite is definitely the spicy tuna roll. I would eat it more often if it weren't so expensive!

If anyone is ever in Annapolis, stop by a Japanese restaurant called "Joss" right on Main Street. There's always a wait to be seated, but the sushi is incredible!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Sushi thoughts

I'm a limited sushi eater because I dislike wasabi and nori, so rolls are out of the question. I like the sushi over rice (nigiri sushi?) and sashimi. Tuna and salmon are my favorites. Yumm.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
i love sushi..randomly i'll get cravings for it and it will be like the only thing i'll want to eat for days at a time (but unfortunately my bank account can't accomodate that). my favorites are: salmon, tuna, spicy tuna roll, spider roll (soft shell crab), and shrimp tempura rolls...

there is this place in the east village on 8th ave between 1st & 2nd(i believe) that has 1/2 price on all of their sushi so not only is the food amazing its cheap!

dammit, now i'm gonna have to get some sushi this weekend i think.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

OKAY, for the Novices on site, what is SUSHI?

Do I eat raw Stuff, Tuna, Clams, Salmon, but to lay a cat fish out on the plate. NOT!

Pleeze fill me in on what I hope I am missing!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-29-2004, 08:31 PM

This might help: http://www.eatsushi.com/

I know I'm not going to do it justice, but the short version is that sushi involves seafood and/or vegetables, rice, and (in the case of rolls) seaweed. Tuna, salmon, and yellowtail are quite common and are used raw; shrimp and eel are also used, and are cooked. You can also make vegetarian sushi with carrots, cucumber, avocado, etc. You dip a piece of sushi in soy sauce then eat it.

Because the fish is raw, you have to be sure it's absolutely fresh and carefully handled.

Professional sushi chefs take their trade very seriously and must do long apprenticeships before going out on their own.

ohhh, now I want sushi
Old 01-30-2004, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcdphie
Vancouver serves the best sushi outside of Japan
I have to echo the sentiments of my fellow Vancouverite and affirm that Vancouver does, indeed, have hella-good sushi.....
Old 01-30-2004, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Well seeing as how there is at least 20 sushi places within a 1 mile radius of my place and my sisters almost all LOVE it.... I do go to sushi A LOT... but I don't really enjoy fish... I usually eat tempura or something.. but I LOVE miso soup
Old 01-30-2004, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I only eat sushi that my husbands grandmother makes...she is full blooded Japanese.

It's just not the same in restaurants...
Old 01-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Banned

I find the food disgusting. I'm not talking cheap sushi either. I personally don't like fish and seafood so this is the biggest part of it. But I've been to extremely expensive places where it's some ridiculous guy who thinks what he does is an art - still I hate sushi. Even the rice, I'm not a fan of because Asian rice is so sub-par to me. Miso soup is also by far the most disgusting thing ever. Even a Japanese desert like mochi (I think that's what it is with the dough wrapped ice creap) leaves a lot to be desired.

I do think however with some of the fusions I've tried with sushi somehow thrown in, it becomes interesting and I don't hate it.

-Rudey
--And the stupid thing is I always keep trying it even though I hate it because it's colorful and looks so damn pretty.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I luv sushi! The place i got to if you go before a certain time it's half price so I can usally eat a meal for about $15 or so...not bad. I usally get 3-4 rolls and sometimes some sashimi. I don't like koher sushi...ugh

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 01-30-2004, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
I LOOOOOVE sushi!!! Like it rocks!! I'm so mad that I missed Chabad's sushi night though....there was a sushi chef who tought everyone how to make sushi! I tried some last night and it was way good!! But yes, this thread has officially made me want to go to a sushi restaurant and get some sushi!!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow you all pay a lot for you sushi.. it's pretty damn cheap here.. probably because there's a place like every three blocks You can eat sushi at a pretty nice place for like 10 dollars for like a FULL meal.. two rolls, rice and miso.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Unregistered-

$10 sounds about normal for a full sushi meal, and one can add a la carte stuff from the Robata bar at an additional price.

We have a sushi bar called Sushi King that's open till 2AM every night. We've been known to hit up that place after going to the bars. After 10:30PM, $15 for their Chirashi special gets you practically all the sushi on their menu.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RioLambdaAlum Send a message via Yahoo to RioLambdaAlum
sometimes i like it.......sometimes i don't.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladyj39
There was an awesome place about a block away from my old house that my roommate and I loved! I could get Tempura Udon, spicy tuna rolls, and tempura rolls all for $11!

Besides the rolls I mentioned, I love hamachi (nigiri or sashimi) and the dragon roll from a restaurant in SF called Kitaro. It's a California roll topped with cooked salmon, capers, and this really yummy cream sauce. MMMmmmm.....