GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 917
4 members and 913 guests
Cookiez17, John, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-03-2003, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
There are a number of threads on this, but a short answer would be that southern rush seems quite a bit more cut throat and competitive in the north. I only have direct experience with rush here in WA and at a school in St. Louis but it's much more casual and laid back up here than some of the threads I've read on here about the big southern schools.

I'm sure someone else can give a much more eloquent answer....
ah, thank you very much... ill have to research this a little later
Old 09-03-2003, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The Sigma Kappa house is gorgeous!

I love the staircase.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

yes, I got to go in the sigma kappa house durring greek weekend and it was so beautiful on the inside and outside!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Woo hoo! A rush in the Northwest! I've met some of the KD's at UW, and they are awesome girls. Rush up there is competitive compared to other west coast schools, but it's still very laid back in many ways. Greek Life there is very exciting and there's a lot of campus support. Have an amazing time! Follow your heart and you will find your home.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

good good luck...enjoy the ride.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

1 week to go!

Yay! A week from today is my orientation for rush where I get to meet my r.c. and the 30+ girls in my group. I am so excited and I got all my outfits planned out so now all I gotta do is wait. And I was wondering what are some good questions to ask them just incase I am talking to a girl and we get the "awkward silence"? Whenever I get nervous I can't think of anything to say so I need some back up questions incase this happens if you know what i mean.
All the people that I have talked to say that every year just about 98% of all the people rushing get bids. So with 16 sororities at the UW does that sound correct? That seems like a pretty high number and makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. So is anyone familier with rush at UW and know if thats right or if they are just saying that to us to encourage us?
Well thanks so much for all of you encouragement you guys!! I will be sure to keep you updated on everything that happens!
Old 09-08-2003, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

We're rooting for you!!!!

Good luck!!!! You have a great experience ahead of you, just make sure to wear comfy shoes as you will be doing a fair amount of walking. We have had a gorgeous summer in Seattle, last year it was sunny and beautiful of preference day, hope that the sun shines on you this year in more ways than one!
Growing up in Seattle most of my friends went to UW, and most went different houses ( Gamma Phi, AGD, ZTA, ADPi, Chi O, Pi Phi, and KD) and all were amazing groups with a ton to offer.
So enjoy the ride and enjoy touring all of those gorgeous old houses -- they are really something!

Anyone seen the inside of the KD house since the big time remodel??? I've driven by, it looks amazing from the outside...lucky girls
Old 09-08-2003, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Questions to ask during recruitment

All sororities have some kind of philanthropy (community service) that they support, so you can always feel free to ask about their national philanthropy and what they support locally.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

you can also ask simple get to know you questions beyond the typical small talk. You can ask them questions about what kind of music they like, what kind of movies they like, what if any intramural sports they participate in, things like that. The sisters are just as hard trying to find common ground and connections with the PNM's just as much as the PNM's are with the sisters. In fact my chapter during rush tries it's best to ask the PNMs questions about their hobbies and interests as much and as soon as they can to try to step out of the same conversations that teh PNMs have experienced at every other chapter they have visited. (and apparently this is starting to work for us as we got more PNMs accepting our invitations for pref than any other chapter on campus, and we got quota plus 3). Other than that, i wouldnt worry too much about "awkward silences" as it may be her first time rushing on the other side as well, so dont always look at that as a bad thing good luck with rush!!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Wink Good luck!

You seem like a very outgoing girl by starting a thread on your rush, so I am sure that you will have no problem making the small talk go by during rush.

It's been a while since I have rushed and even longer since I was standing out in front of the chapter houses waiting to see the chapter members burst out.

Keep us posted. All the groups have great things to offer and I wish you the best (plus better weather...what is up with all this horrid rain????)
Old 09-10-2003, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Pi Phi ER Doc,

I haven't seen the inside of the new KD house yet (they are having an open house on Thursday), but I'm sure it's stunning. We just had the first floor in our house remodeled and it's gorgeous, so I'm sure the KD house must be amazing since they had the entire house remodeled!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AmeeLynn
YEPPIE, i was so excited when i saw that you are going through rush at UW, even though i dont attend school at UW its still my home state. i am so excited to continue reading your rush thread. good luck with everything.
just remember relax and of course above everything be yourself
Old 09-14-2003, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
*bump*

Rush starts today!