GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,491
2 members and 1,489 guests
UW_dawg

Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Son moved into his Graduate dorm yesterday and had to drive past group after group of PNMs and had to quickly stop his vehicle at one point as PNMs swarmed across the street to get to their appointed parties. He loved it!

Good luck to all the girls today and hang in their parents!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Son moved into his Graduate dorm yesterday and had to drive past group after group of PNMs and had to quickly stop his vehicle at one point as PNMs swarmed across the street to get to their appointed parties. He loved it!

Good luck to all the girls today and hang in their parents!
My daughter commented on the high volume of male spectators in the area. She was taken a bit off-guard by some taking videos of as they walked. She knew that they were harmless though and laughed about it. I told her that is what happens when you have 1,500 beautiful, well-dressed young woman out walking around.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Im new to this. Are the Moms suppose to have a present for their daughters on bid day. Was just reading an auburn story and it sounded like they get their daughters gifts. Well what is an appropriate gift. I dont want to be giftless on bid day
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debann127 View Post
Im new to this. Are the Moms suppose to have a present for their daughters on bid day. Was just reading an auburn story and it sounded like they get their daughters gifts. Well what is an appropriate gift. I dont want to be giftless on bid day
Auburn =/= FSU.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

So excited to see an FSU thread! To the Moms and Dads, I can't stress enough how strong the Greek life is at FSU and how impressive all the sorority groups on campus are. Wherever your daughter finds her home for the next four years, she will love the experience!

And some things never change. The rain, the heat, and the fraternity boys driving around checking out the newbies. I can still remember the KA's renting a huge flatbed truck, putting hay in the back (so they could hide the keg) and driving around during the rush parties. Catcalls and shouts of approval were sort of unnerving for the rushees (pre-PNM terminology) but the sorority girls would just roll their eyes and keep on singing.

Can't wait to hear the outcomes. Hope you pround parents will share the stories.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went through FSU recruitment and pledged last year. I did not send a gift on bid day (but I did for initiation). My daughter never mentioned other girls getting parental bid day gifts, but her pledge class did receive welcome gifts from the sorority house. Last year at FSU on bid day, the Rho Gammas met with each PNM individually and gave them their bid and bid day t-shirt. So, PNMs were able to open their bid privately and be counseled by their Rho Gamma if necessary. The PNMs then go to the fountain and meet the rest of their pledge class.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

AWWW, that is really nice. So I guess they see the tshirt and know who they received the bid from.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

The girls will get some kind of bid day bag or backpack from their new home and it will be filled with stuff so it is better to wait till after bid day and big/little to get a present (but even then it isn't necessary!) I have seen parents sending flowers but by no way is it the majority.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Sigma Chi was directly across the street from my sorority house. Not only did they learn our yard songs and dances, but they "rated" or "scored" the PNMs as they walked up to our steps and as they exited from the parties. The ZTAs who were little sisters there pleaded with them year after year, but the pleas fell on deaf ears.

You might send flowers to the sorority house for your daughter-it's a big deal to receive flowers at the house-they are placed on a table in the foyer and everyone wonders who the lucky recipient is. If you do decide to send flowers, try to send an arrangement of that sorority's flower.

(I will tell you that should they pledge ZTA, it is very hard to find white violets!)

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-23-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Just personal preference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
If you do decide to send flowers, try to send an arrangement of that sorority's flower.

(I will tell you that should they pledge ZTA, it is very hard to find white violets!)
Or... in the sorority colors. For Chi Omega, a big vase of red/yellow glads looks better to me than a dozen white carnations.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Once again. Thanks for all the hints and ideas. I, myself, am not from a 'greek' family. I went to a small school and greek life was a very small part of my university and region.

Flowers is such an nice idea.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, she went to 6 houses today and it was a bit disappointing because she felt like the girls that she spoke with really were not interested in her. I felt bad that had to hurt a bit. She really likes the houses but shes convinced that she wont be asked back because they showed no interest. She had a great time at one of them and actually ran into our neighbors daughter who is an officer in the house. She loved seeing her and hopes that it might make a difference at that house. So not all bad, but she is keeping her chin up and really looking forward to skit day. I think she has about 3-4 favorites after going thru the 12 houses and I hope that they remain on her dance card come tomorrow.
Signed,
Worried Mom
Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a strong possibility that she is misinterpreting feelings. Everyone is starting to get tired and getting fed up with the same old stuff. Tell her to keep her chin up and try to make sure she is holding up at least her half of the conversation, and maybe it will work out better than she thinks. Good luck to her!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
There is a strong possibility that she is misinterpreting feelings. Everyone is starting to get tired and getting fed up with the same old stuff. Tell her to keep her chin up and try to make sure she is holding up at least her half of the conversation, and maybe it will work out better than she thinks. Good luck to her!
Well said and so true. When I used to advise, I would tell the chapter when they got cranky to take a step back and recognize what an emotional time this is for everyone and that not only may the PNM be having a tough day but they had a long and tiring day as well. Good to keep perspective and not read too much into things.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was the VP of Membership in my chapter, or as it was known back then, the Rush Chairman.

I was so exhausted by bid day I got sick and just went to my room and slept.

Love having an FSU thread!