Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 955
0 members and 955 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, I'm glad to see that you were able to finally make it happen! Sounds like DPhiE has a great new sister!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to you!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twocutetx Send a message via MSN to twocutetx Send a message via Yahoo to twocutetx
Thanks everyone for your words and support! It really is SO exciting and yes, it feels GREAT! Making the decision to pursue AI is a tough one, and the journey itself is unique to each person who goes down this path. So far the experience has been amazing and I only see it getting even MORE amazing!!!

And while I know I don't *have* to say this - I'm going to just so it is said -- I DID NOT actively pursue two groups - only one! It was suggested up front that I contact the nationals of groups I was interested in as part of the process and investigation of AI - to see what policies existed and if they had a process for AI, as well as verifying their philanthropies, chapters, numbers, etc. (basically confirming that the website info was updated/accurate). So initially, I contacted two - both of which are great houses - but ultimately neither were the ones I chose to pursue and as such I didn't apply to either of these. Making contact was about information gathering - not applying. Not so different than the first part of rush when the girls visit all the houses to learn about them and figure out where they are comfortable. My thought was that while I had friends who were willing and wanting to sponsor me in both of those groups (and these ladies were also the ones encouraging me along the way!) I needed a bigger picture to look at than only their individual experiences.

For none of those who have gone the AI route have I ever met anyone who applied to more than one group. AI is NOT about applying to every sorority until one takes you - if anything I think it is a more in depth process of looking at the national offices, reputations, educational foundations, etc. etc. through adult eyes. I didn't "apply" until I knew where I wanted to be -- DPhiE!

The thing in all of this -- learning about each sorority was such a valuable experience. I have met so many intelligent and wonderful ladies along the way - and in a lot of ways this was rather like an extended rush but with an entire organization instead of one chapter. The strangest thing now is explaining to others in my graduate program what exactly AI is and why I wanted to be a part of a sorority post-undergrad.

I hope all this made sense - and I hope that each of you looking to find your home after undergrad will continue to look and learn. Joining a sorority is for life - some of us just happen to find our place a little later than others

~Beth
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

twocutetx - I'm glad you found your home, however, many here believe that Alumnae Initiation is not just something people who either didn't rush or have a successful rush in college do. It's an honor given to women and men who the groups feel are outstanding examples of what their ideals are.

Which means it's not something that any Jane or Mary should "reach out" for... it's something that is given to them.

There was a time here not long ago where random people would come on here and post "Oh, sorry you didn't have a successful rush, there's always AI!"

When there ISN'T always AI.

AI is not just something you wake up one morning and decide to do.

Or "keep on reading because you too can be an AI!!!" because that isn't the case.

It's been said that GC has created a market for AI. All of a sudden random people doing internet searches who didn't fulfill their college dream of joining a sorority find it and are bombarding HQ's with calls about AI. Not only are they calling 1 GLO, they are calling 2 or more trying to find out which ones will take them and that really isn't the spirit of the program.

/soapbox
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Some more context:

Some sororities have also removed Alumna Initiation information from the public side of their national websites because they were receiving so many calls/emails/etc. about it.

ETA: Also, and I'm not trying to say that you were one of those people who pursued AI because they didn't get a bid in college, but there really was a time on GC when every other post in this forum, was "Hi, I'm looking for AI info. i'm interested in AI because I went to college and went through recruitment, but sadly did not get a bid, and now I want to fulfill my dream of being in a sorority. Any advice?" People felt like it was being made to seem like the cure for not rushing or getting a bid in undergrad, when in reality it's not.

Again, I'm not saying that this is what YOU think, but I'm just saying that there were folks who came to GC with that mindset. That's why people on GC have strong opinions about AI.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-07-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's all remember that every NPC views AI differently. Apparently, DPhiE felt that the OP was a good fit for them. Questioning their decision to accept her as an AI is questioning the recruitment practices of this organization. No matter what anyone thinks about AI, it doesn't sound like the OP was sorority shopping, so no need to "educate" her about the controversy after the fact. To any one looking to jump into AI, check out the first post...this didn't happen overnight.

AOII

Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Let's all remember that every NPC views AI differently. Apparently, DPhiE felt that the OP was a good fit for them. Questioning their decision to accept her as an AI is questioning the recruitment practices of this organization.
But AI & Recruitment are two different things! Sigh.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAMich View Post
Yes, but both require membership selection . I believe that is what AOIIAngel was getting at - and of course we don't discuss the membership practices of our own, or other , NPC groups.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAMich View Post
Recruiting members includes AI members for some organizations, including AOII. If ZTA doesn't believe in that, that is your organizations business. To each her own. Thanks, SWTXBelle, you are correct in your interpretation of my last post.

AOII

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Until every alumnae chapter is required to hold recruitment events and acquire members in that manner, I believe that most people are not going to say AI selection = recruitment.

AOII Angel - I do understand where you're coming from and your interpretation of your org's practices, but also understand why your putting it the way you did got some danders up.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I understand, 33girl. My whole point is that let other organizations who wish to encourage AI run their organizations as they see fit. In the end, Greekchat is NOT the venue to inquire about AI. Whether or not you call it recruitment is semantics. It is a type of recruitment just not FORMAL Collegiate Recruitment. I do agree, however, that we should discourage random people from sorority shopping through GC. I still congratulate the OP on her initiation.

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 10-08-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I understand, 33girl. My whole point is that let other organizations who wish to encourage AI run their organizations as they see fit. In the end, Greekchat is NOT the venue to inquire about AI. In my organization, whether or not you call it recruitment is semantics. In my organization, it is a type of recruitment just not FORMAL Collegiate Recruitment. I do agree, however, that we should discourage random people from sorority shopping through GC. I still congratulate the OP on her initiation.
Fixed your post.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Fixed your post.
Sorry...didn't know that I need to preface every point with that. Maybe the people who are dead set against AI should preface EVERY one of their statements with the same. Either way, it's every person's prerogative to agree or disagree, but the least we can do is be respectful of the policies of other organizations.

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 10-08-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I can dig that.

There are 26 NPCs.

This is starting to sound like my "Every NPHC is different" debate that nobody wants to hear.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 AM

But I think it was you who opened that door when you said (paraphrasing) if anyone criticizes this AI decision, they are criticizing D Phi E's membership policies as a national organization. That IMO was a big leap, especially since the levels of input and approval from the local alum chapter, the collegiate chapter, the district volunteers, and the national council vary GREATLY from group to group where AI is concerned.

NPC collegiate recruitment is pretty much standard. Girls come to parties. Collegians vote on them. They get bids. Maybe in some groups the alums or advisors have a greater level of involvement, but if you ask group in a college panhellenic what the basic process is, they're going to say "girls come to parties, collegians vote, rushees get bids."

AI is NOT like that - so yes, you probably should preface statements like "AI is a form of recruitment" with "in my organization." Some groups are more receptive to it than others, and among those groups, some areas of the country are more receptive than others. That's a fact, period. Whereas I think that all 26 NPCs are agreed that recruiting collegiate members to their collegiate chapters is a good thing.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-08-2008 at 11:09 AM.