Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 654
1 members and 653 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Orginally, I wasn't going to get too involved with this, but after reading the updated blog I felt the desire.

Based on the blog, there were three "Beta houses": the official, "The Fratican", and "The Slippery Slope".

Quote:
...“The Fratican”, was an immediate red flag to certain individuals who believed it would be a detriment to the alcohol and substance-free Chapter House.
So obviously the chapter (or at least some members) observed the fact that this house would promote a lack of risk management and/or contribute to illegal actions.

Quote:
at which point they assured the chapter that the keg was not even in use…it was being used as a stool to sit on (and they encouraged any administrator to check the expiration date on the keg itself).
It doesn't matter what the keg was being used for. You should have more common sense and choose not to place alcohol paraphenalia in plain sight of your advisors and Administrative Officers.

Quote:
In a matter of a week, this proposal was struck down by the AO which proceeded to go over the top of our attempt at self-governance and place a punishment of six weeks social probation, barring the entire chapter from any social activities with other fraternities and sororities during that period.
You must realize that although you are given to the right and opportunity to govern yourselves, the AO (and it's representatives) are required to step in to prevent serious harm or worse to chapter members.

Quote:
many men in the chapter arranged for a party at The Slippery Slope, so that the fraternity may rejoice in the accomplishment of bringing in another promising pledge class.
Beta Theta Pi requires us to have "dry" Rush. Until those members are inducted, they are considered rushees/bidees and should not have been placed in a situation involving alcohol with the chapter. It doesn't matter that you had a "social monitor"

Quote:
According to those present, C.B. and M.O. were “manning the beer tower” and encouraging certain individuals in the room to drink, including the soon-to-be pledge. This young man, who was to be inducted into the latest pledge class of the Alpha Chapter, proceeded to vomit following his drinking from the beer tower.
So, basically your chapter members were strongly encouraging a rushee to drink... and he vomited afterwards. Once again, yet another example of bad judgement.

Quote:
Apparently, an individual in the chapter who felt there was a serious infraction at the party, went straight to our advisory team/AO to notify them of a crisis in the chapter that was unapparent to most of its members. This person, who is still unknown, went above the chapter’s governance and his ability to personally hold his brother accountable for the alleged action, and instead went to an external body whose job it is NOT to govern our chapter.
I do agree that the person should've at least spoken to this chapter members first. However, given the attitude and tone of this blog, I would not be suprised if some members did not feel comfortable doing so.

Quote:
The widespread ignorance in the chapter of the fact that there was any problem at all with the current state of affairs sent things to a boiling point.
Your chapter should be COMMUNICATING. That is not the fault of the AO.

Quote:
However, one of the most absurd things that could not be ignored by those voting on the hazing incident was the fact that those prospective betas who were “hazed” were not even aware they were a part of a hazing incident or any event that caused them serious discomfort, and continue to be equally unaware that they were a part of the issue that is causing serious turmoil in our great chapter.
I person's knowledge or acceptance of a hazing situation does not change the definition of the word.

Now, after all that, I must say that from what I've read, the AO could've done a much better job of communication and documenting the reasons for their actions. If I were ever part of a chapte reorg, I would want concrete facts and reasons for being removed or placed on a different status. However, since I was not present for their discussions, I can't assume to know what they were thinking.

In the end, I hope that the chapter and its members as a whole can move forward in a positive way.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Just a minor point.

If a keg is in a brother house...why is it any of the GFs business? Will I get in trouble right now if they find out I have a bottle of liquor in my room?

It shouldn't matter if I have a case of beer or thirty kegs lined up in my basement...it's my house and I can do whatever the hell I damn well please. The only exception to this is if I was forcing pledges to drink or inviting pledges over during rush to drink with me.

Quote:
Beta Theta Pi requires us to have "dry" Rush. Until those members are inducted, they are considered rushees/bidees and should not have been placed in a situation involving alcohol with the chapter. It doesn't matter that you had a "social monitor".
I don't know if I agree with this. Using this logic anytime you go to a bar you are breaking the dry rush rules because everyone guy there is a potential pledge. If I party with someone in the fall and then end up pledging in the spring...did I break any rules? How about if we chilled together in highschool?
Like I said, dry events during rush but the rest of the time it's game on.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

^ That's taking it a bit to the extreme. You won't consider every guy in the bar a rushee. That's just being foolish. The point is, if you are entertaining a guest who is interested in joining the Fraternity, then you should obey the law and our Code.

I'll just go ahead and quote myself:

Quote:
Until those members are inducted, they are considered rushees/bidees and should not have been placed in a situation involving alcohol with the chapter.
He specifically stated in his blog that they were celebrating the fact that they had handed out bids. Therefore, these were not pledges, they were rushees, most of which I assume were not 21 years of age.

Allow me to provide you (and everyone else) with Beta's Risk Management Policy, since it seems some people haven't read it.

Quote:
The Risk Management Policy of Beta Theta Pi includes, but is not limited to, the following provisions which shall apply to all fraternity chapters, colonies and levels of fraternity membership.

1. The possession, use and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages by any fraternity member or guest while on chapter premises, during an official fraternity event, or in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter must be in compliance with all applicable laws of the state, province, county, city, institution or other controlling entity.
2. Abuse of the consumption of alcoholic beverages by any fraternity member or guest while on chapter premises, during an official fraternity event, or in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter shall be prohibited.
3. To clarify the policies stated in (1) and (2) above, the following regulations are adopted but are not meant to be all inclusive:
a. No fraternity members, individually or collectively, shall purchase for, serve, or sell alcoholic beverages to minors (i.e., those under legal "drinking age")
b. No alcoholic beverages may be purchased through the chapter treasury, nor may the purchase of alcoholic beverages for members or guests be undertaken or coordinated by any member in the name of, or on behalf of the chapter. Pooling of funds is not permitted
c. No chapter may co-sponsor or co-finance a function where alcohol is purchased by any of the host chapters, groups or organizations
d. All recruitment activities will be dry functions
e. Common containers (punch bowls, etc.) for serving alcohol or bulk distribution of alcohol including kegs, party balls, etc., are strictly prohibited unless supplied and managed by a licensed caterer (i.e., third party vendor)
f. "Open parties", meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the fraternity without specific invitation, are prohibited
g. No member shall permit, tolerate, encourage or participate in "drinking games"
h. No chapter may co-sponsor an event with an alcohol distributor, charitable organization, or other entity licensed to sell or give away alcoholic beverages where alcoholic beverages are sold or otherwise provided to those present.
i. No alcohol shall be present at any Pledge activity of a chapter.
j. A sufficient number of mature party monitors must be adequately trained to handle alcohol and its distribution, and must be instructed not to consume alcoholic beverages prior to, or while fulfilling, the role of party monitor.
k. Designated drivers or alternative transportation for those individuals who cannot safely drive their vehicles must be provided at every chapter event
l. Other policies and regulations which may be imposed on fraternities or their members by law or the host institution, adopted by the chapter not in conflict herewith, or inculcated by educational seminars endorsed or provided by the General Fraternity are included by reference
m. The number of persons invited to any event sponsored or co-sponsored by Beta Theta Pi where alcohol is present is limited to three times the chapter size (a 3:1 ratio or 3 guests per member) or, if less, the maximum occupancy of the facility according to fire standards. Larger events are subject to approval, when notified two weeks prior to the event, of the Administrative Secretary.
-- adopted by the Board of Trustees 5/97
4. The possession, sale and/or use of any illegal drugs or controlled substances at any chapter house, sponsored event or at any event an observer would associate with the fraternity, is strictly prohibited

~ Edwin Markham
Old 03-12-2007, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Just because it is in the rules doesn't make it right.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, check out 3 -J above. The monitors must be instructed not to drink before or durning the time they are on the job.

It does NOT explicitly state they must not drink, only be instructed not to drink.

The lawyers will have fun with this one.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just because it is in the rules doesn't make it right.
You might or might not agree with the rule(s), but until it's changed, this is what you are required to work with.

~ Edwin Markham
Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 PM
ZetaDelta143

How could something so innocent be blown so out of proportion. Seriously, this is quite rediculous. I strongly agree that just because it is a rule doesn't make it right theory. Beta at the Alpha Chapter are well aware of what they can and cant do. I think they know how to control themselves, as well as there limits. Unless they were parading drunk down the streets of Miami University Naked or some other billigerent act then there is nothing for the AO to get upset about. Drinking Game or not....