GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,279
1 members and 1,278 guests
IllyPolly

Old 12-25-2006, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
We open ours on Christmas Day!
Old 12-25-2006, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

we havent "celebrated" christmas in 2 years, so the kids (well, my siblings) opened theirs at midnite. what ever happened to waiting til the AM? i fought hard to wait til morning, but i got overruled.

i guess when youre older (the youngest is 14) it doesnt matter too much. i mean, we opened stuff at midnite, and here it is 3am and everyone is sleeping. no wrapping paper everywhere, looking around for batteries and watching xmas movies.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
i guess when youre older (the youngest is 14) it doesnt matter too much. i mean, we opened stuff at midnite, and here it is 3am and everyone is sleeping. no wrapping paper everywhere, looking around for batteries and watching xmas movies.
I'll disagree on that one! My oldest (16) has apparently been up since 1:30am in anticipation for today. Of course, the rest of the house will probably be sleeping for hours.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:00 AM
cutiepatootie

the long standing tradition in our family has been candlelight christmas eve svcs at 9 pm at church , lasagna dinner and 1 present before services. The one present is usually the matching PJs we all wear and take pictures of in the morning. Then the next day ,christmas day, is the big turkey dinner get up early for presents.

These last few yrs has been revised since we have to travel to family on christmas day since my stubborn borther and his wife refuse to travel with twins. So we ( me and my 7 yr old) go to my mom and dads ,spend the night, open all gifts on christmas eve and have our own christmas dinner after church and get up early and travel to the selfish brothers house and do more presents from each other down there and feast all day long on the traditional ham and turkey feast!

Though i do agree as well as my parents that christmas presents should be open the morning of christmas. Though to keep family harmony we re arrange for the selfish and stubbornish of other family members! lol Though, i agree with who said do you open your birthday presents on your birthday eve....NO ! on the day of!

Last edited by cutiepatootie; 12-25-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
Things changed for us this year with the ex-husband thing going on. The kids were at his house this weekend, Santa came on the night of the 23rd over there and they opened the presents on the 24th.
The kids cam home last night at 11pm, and Santa came here last night. As soon as the boys wake up this morning we will open presents. Since they got home at 11 last night they are still asleep-- so I am getting some quiet time all to myself before the present madness begins!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnieb View Post
Things changed for us this year with the ex-husband thing going on. The kids were at his house this weekend, Santa came on the night of the 23rd over there and they opened the presents on the 24th.
The kids cam home last night at 11pm, and Santa came here last night. As soon as the boys wake up this morning we will open presents. Since they got home at 11 last night they are still asleep-- so I am getting some quiet time all to myself before the present madness begins!
We do the reverse. The kids were here the night of the 23rd and opened their presents here yesterday morning. Then we headed to my mom's for Christmas with her. After that, I dropped them off at their dad's house and they opened presents with him. I like it this way because Christmas morning is peaceful for me after a few very busy days (We had Christmas with my dad on the 23rd). This afternoon, my brother and I are heading to my mom's for a quiet Christmas dinner, which I should start cooking soon.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
When I was a little girl, we would open them on Christmas Day.

Nowadays, we do not exchange presents anymore. It is better that way.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 12-25-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My parents had this rule which was awful as a kid but makes a lot of sense now that we're grown.
Everyone had to be up, showered and dressed, and no one could open presents before my dad was ready. And holy shit he takes forever! He still does take forever, but it's less important when you're grown up.
At least I had my stocking to placate me. Every year, we got two things-chocolate coins and a book.

Happy christmas to all!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 12-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Our schedule:

Christmas Eve-church at 6, ride around to look at the lights, come back to a clam chowder diner

Christmas morning about 8 (the kids aren't allowed in the living room sooner because my husband and I have been up until 3 playing Santa Claus for all 13 plus a son-in-law)-the kids come in to get their Santa Claus stuff

Christmas afternoon-we go to my mother-in-law's to open presents there

Christmas night-we gather around the tree and open all our presents to each other. Stretching out Christmas works better for us with the kids being all different ages.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It's always been Christmas Eve for my family. My dad explained, when I was little, that Santa hits the west coast while everyone's at church and the east coast while everyone's asleep. He claimed that's how his parents explained it to him. Though, when we moved back east for a while we still opened on the 24th.

I never really understood waiting till morning. Jesus was born at NIGHT. So either he was born it the wee hours or late in the evening on the 24th. So you're either opening the presents late or early it you wait till Christmas morning.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

we ALWAYS open the presents Christmas morning! I used to beg my parents to let me open one present on Christmas Eve before heading to my godmother's condo for her yearly party, and almost always was allowed that one present. This year, she didn't have the party, and we didn't have as many presents under the tree, so no early present for me.

My boyfriend's family opens them all on Christmas Eve... now, if he and I ever get married, we're going to have to come up with some sort of compromise!
Old 12-25-2006, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a kid, we always opened presents on Christmas day. The dh and I allow the kids to open one gift (new pjs) on Christmas Eve. They sleep in the new pjs and, on Christmas morning, we take a pic of all of us in our new sleepware. Corny, but cute.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
It's always been Christmas Eve for my family. My dad explained, when I was little, that Santa hits the west coast while everyone's at church and the east coast while everyone's asleep. He claimed that's how his parents explained it to him. Though, when we moved back east for a while we still opened on the 24th.

I never really understood waiting till morning. Jesus was born at NIGHT. So either he was born it the wee hours or late in the evening on the 24th. So you're either opening the presents late or early it you wait till Christmas morning.
Well, you know...he was actually born sometime in September and the reason Christmas is celebrated in December was to wean the pagans away from their rituals in the winter onto a christian holiday. But now we're getting into silly religious politics and crap.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 12-25-2006, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

One gift the night before and the rest on the day of.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Our tradition is to open gifts Christmas Day morning.