GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,032
3 members and 1,029 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
If what she said is true, do you think it's appropriate that this sorority woman was speaking about this out in the open with a fraternity member?
I find the whole situation to be fiction. A "friend" overheard two people at a meeting discussing this. It isn't even first hand, and looks to me like a set up for how horrible and mean sorority women and the Greek system are.

I do not concur with my sister that our posting online is a bad example for sorority women, I find people entertaining dramarama fake postings to be a bigger issue. This poster may not even be a real person and with the other posts Barbie thankfully mined for us, if this is a real situation, there are a lot of reasons this person may not successfully receive a bid, and start projecting or making stuff up for sympathy or ego protection.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I find the whole situation to be fiction. A "friend" overheard two people at a meeting discussing this. It isn't even first hand, and looks to me like a set up for how horrible and mean sorority women and the Greek system are.

I do not concur with my sister that our posting online is a bad example for sorority women, I find people entertaining dramarama fake postings to be a bigger issue. This poster may not even be a real person and with the other posts Barbie thankfully mined for us, if this is a real situation, there are a lot of reasons this person may not successfully receive a bid, and start projecting or making stuff up for sympathy or ego protection.
I have never said posting online is a bad example (and obviously don't think that), I simply pointed out that if stereotypes via PNMs are rubbing sorority women the wrong way, being rude to PNMs isn't a good method of debunking said stereotypes.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That's why I asked IF it was true.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I am referring to this, "Twice this girl has come here to blame sororities for her inability to get a bid. First it was a "terrible rumor" and now she's "black listed." I am sick of people coming here and telling tales that perpetuate stereotypes like this."

I'm trying to do nothing, just pointing out if she's that worried about stereotypes being rude isn't going to help things. And your attempt at moderating me isn't going to help. I stand by what I said, fail to see what the big deal is, done. I'm confident Barbie isn't crying herself to sleep over my post.
Seriously?

Allow me to make this clear: You can do what you like, I'm calling you stupid for doing it. Telling an individual that s/he is stupid is not the same thing as trying to the "making us look bad" pablum you're trying to get us to swallow.

Trying to flip my word usage around on me when they're two different things just highlights the stupidity. As does conflating the concept of "calling you out" with it being a "big deal."
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have never said posting online is a bad example (and obviously don't think that), I simply pointed out that if stereotypes via PNMs are rubbing sorority women the wrong way, being rude to PNMs isn't a good method of debunking said stereotypes.
Sorry, posting online rudely.

I think rude is a very subjective term. If we tell someone something they don't want to hear, for example when they ask a question that is common, we tell them to search or it isn't something we discuss, no they can't join another NPC once they initiated; that isn't rude in my opinion, that's just someone who isn't happy with reality.

I know I am perceived as rude because I am tired of the whiny, give it to me, I can't bother to research it myself, entitlement culture and helicopter parenting on this site and in higher education. For kids who grew up using the internet a lot of them have very thin skins. Furthermore, this site is open to view, so it isn't a huge secret of our culture and style. No one here is going to post and get a huge surprise, unless they are incapable of reading ahead of time and using the search function.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're right, you said it "Reflects badly." Those are soooooooooooooo different. In fact reflecting badly is probably worse at is suggests her actions have tainted others, rather than just being one singular example of badness.

Quote:
That's why I asked IF it was true.
But you ask really stupid questions so I'm not sure why you expected an answer.

/pineapple
Old 09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Seriously?

Allow me to make this clear: You can do what you like, I'm calling you stupid for doing it. Telling an individual that s/he is stupid is not the same thing as trying to the "making us look bad" pablum you're trying to get us to swallow.

Trying to flip my word usage around on me when they're two different things just highlights the stupidity. As does conflating the concept of "calling you out" with it being a "big deal."
Ok allow me to make this clear:

Barbie complained that certain PNMs perpetuate negative stereotypes about Greek life. Barbie was very rude to this particular PNM. I pointed out that if she is worried about PNMs perpetuating negative stereotypes, responding to them in a rude manner will only feed the negativity.

I don't care what you or anyone else swallows, but I posted what I think.

Groucho Marx
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry, posting online rudely.

I think rude is a very subjective term. If we tell someone something they don't want to hear, for example when they ask a question that is common, we tell them to search or it isn't something we discuss, no they can't join another NPC once they initiated; that isn't rude in my opinion, that's just someone who isn't happy with reality.

I know I am perceived as rude because I am tired of the whiny, give it to me, I can't bother to research it myself, entitlement culture and helicopter parenting on this site and in higher education. For kids who grew up using the internet a lot of them have very thin skins. Furthermore, this site is open to view, so it isn't a huge secret of our culture and style. No one here is going to post and get a huge surprise, unless they are incapable of reading ahead of time and using the search function.
*Head on desk*

There is a difference between telling someone to use the search function and being a complete cow because said poster didn't use it in the first place.

Ok people, nothing else to see here. It doesn't matter how many circles we all run in no one here is going to change their minds.

Groucho Marx
Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

She responded just to not respond, I didn't expect anything from her. You mean it's really stupid in the sense that obviously this isn't appropriate for a sorority woman to do?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're right, you said it "Reflects badly." Those are soooooooooooooo different. In fact reflecting badly is probably worse at is suggests her actions have tainted others, rather than just being one singular example of badness.

/pyrex
FYP.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
*Head on desk*

There is a difference between telling someone to use the search function and being a complete cow because said poster didn't use it in the first place.

Ok people, nothing else to see here. It doesn't matter how many circles we all run in no one here is going to change their minds.
So, now BR's a cow. I see. You're right, she really should stop reflecting so badly on us. We wouldn't want PNMs to think we're cows.
Quote:
She responded just to not respond, I didn't expect anything from her. You mean it's really stupid in the sense that obviously this isn't appropriate for a sorority woman to do?
No, I mean you're stupid.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, now BR's a cow. I see. You're right, she really should stop reflecting so badly on us. We wouldn't want PNMs to think we're cows.

No, I mean you're stupid.
Yes, that is exactly what I said.

I'm not bored enough to continue this. Check ya lata.

Groucho Marx
Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
*Head on desk*

Sorry you didn't like my example of how being rude is subjective. But that is also subjective, isn't it?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I've got popcorn!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
If what she said is true, do you think it's appropriate that this sorority woman was speaking about this out in the open with a fraternity member?
Not any more inappropriate than Luke Skywalker kissing his sister on the mouth and getting a boner.

In case you don't get what I'm saying, this whole situation is so obviously fiction - as in, the sort of fiction that would never happen - that to discuss its appropriateness is ludicrous.