GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,164
0 members and 1,164 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Something weighing heavy on my heart:

Hello everyone. I'm new to the GC, but I had to respond to this thread. Here it goes.

My mother has not eaten in two months. She was living with my sister, and after doctors down there couldn't find out what was wrong, I went and got her and brought her up here with me. I got her in a great hospital who's had her for 3 weeks. Almost two weeks ago, they operated to remove what they thought was a blockage on her intestine which was preventing food and water from staying down. The surgeon called me after the surgery and told me that there was no blockage--my mother has cancer again (she had stomach cancer in '03, but they got it and she beat it). This time her stomach cancer is very advanced-stage 4, which is terminal. While she's not going to die tomorrow, she is going to be leaving me soon. Doctors say it's likely she'll '07 come in. She's being fed through a tube, and she's gonna get chemo in an effort to prolong her life. My sister and I are heartbroken, and we've prayed so much, I don't know what else to say to Him. My mother is my best friend. I don't know what I'm gonna do without her. She said she's ready when He's ready for her. She has no regrets, other than the possibility that she won't be around to see her only grandchildren (my 2 sons) grow up. I talk to her and see her everyday, and I've turned my third bedroom into a room for her. My mother took care of me and my children. Now it's my turn to take care of her. Please everyone, pray for my mother, Joyce Gibson Harrison. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a BIG cyber-hug for you, luv4 denzel!

***HUG***

You will definitely be in my prayers and in the prayers of your sisterfriends and memberfriends here on the boards. I haven't been on here very long myself but the camraderie and love that is expressed among all the members here is amazing!

Know that your mother loves you, your sister, and your sons dearly. She has been strong for you and your sister as you've grown up, now it's your turn to be strong for her. No matter what happens, let her know how much you love her and appreciate her. You and your relatives should form a support group and gain strength through the love that connects you all.

Treasure every moment with your mother regardless of what may come in the future.

And don't always take the doctor's word as the final word, because it's all in God's hands.

I'll be praying for you and your family tonight.

Be blessed!!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luv4denzel

Hello everyone. I'm new to the GC, but I had to respond to this thread. Here it goes.

My mother has not eaten in two months. She was living with my sister, and after doctors down there couldn't find out what was wrong, I went and got her and brought her up here with me. I got her in a great hospital who's had her for 3 weeks. Almost two weeks ago, they operated to remove what they thought was a blockage on her intestine which was preventing food and water from staying down. The surgeon called me after the surgery and told me that there was no blockage--my mother has cancer again (she had stomach cancer in '03, but they got it and she beat it). This time her stomach cancer is very advanced-stage 4, which is terminal. While she's not going to die tomorrow, she is going to be leaving me soon. Doctors say it's likely she'll '07 come in. She's being fed through a tube, and she's gonna get chemo in an effort to prolong her life. My sister and I are heartbroken, and we've prayed so much, I don't know what else to say to Him. My mother is my best friend. I don't know what I'm gonna do without her. She said she's ready when He's ready for her. She has no regrets, other than the possibility that she won't be around to see her only grandchildren (my 2 sons) grow up. I talk to her and see her everyday, and I've turned my third bedroom into a room for her. My mother took care of me and my children. Now it's my turn to take care of her. Please everyone, pray for my mother, Joyce Gibson Harrison. Thanks for letting me vent.
Your mother is in my prayers.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

luv4denzel: your mother is in my prayers. If God brought you to it, he will bring you through it. Make sure that you continue to pray to him, and bless him even through your struggles. He knows your heart, He knows what are you going through, and he is there for you. Even though you feel like you don't know what else to say, he hears your heart talking to him. I know that there is not much we can do to help you in this situation, but every prayer I can lift will come the way of you and your family. Be blessed, sisterfriend, and stay strong.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evaclear04
((((((((((luv4denzel))))))))))))))))))))))))))
My mom just passed of Multiple Myeloma in july. We battled her cancer for nearly a year... when we found out she even had it she was in stage 4. She was also my bestfriend. So i understand completely.
You can Pm me if you need to talk...my prayers are with you
Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

((((((((((luv4denzel))))))))))

You and your family are in my prayers.
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me
Old 02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: OHIO Centaur might be the one

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioCentaur
Ummm.... i'm gonna take a wild guess and say teena you've been out the game a LONG time.
Dang. It shows?!?!
Quote:
Did i catch her vibe... yea... was i feeling it... not in the least... dont get me wrong a lady who is about hers and isnt ashamed to call it like it is has to be acknowledged however... theres something sexy about leaving things to the imagination... alittle help here and there is cool but putting it ALL out there for the world to see... ehh not my thing.
I dont think you are supposed to take the things that Shamika T says seriously, at all. I think she posts things for entertainment purposes only.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OhioCentaur Send a message via Yahoo to OhioCentaur
Re: Re: Re: OHIO Centaur might be the one

Quote:
Originally posted by teena
Dang. It shows?!?!

I dont think you are supposed to take the things that Shamika T says seriously, at all. I think she posts things for entertainment purposes only.
I wasnt tryin to clown you though... but yea i see now... i guess its cool to have those type when u need a laugh but i thought folks was talkin serious... oh well...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luv4denzel

I am so sorry to hear that. I pray for your strength and your family's strenght in this time. God is still in control.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

***Warning***

This is NOT some of the other GC forums. Some of you are not AKA forum regulars, therefore you might want to peep the Pearls of Wisdom.

***End of Warning***
Old 02-28-2006, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradise359
Well my father is a dentist & I didn't want to follow in his footsteps until my junior year in college. I've taken the Dental Admissions Test studying halfheartedly, done my science courses without putting in much effort and I KNOW that I can do better. I just don't want to. I work in my father's dental practice & tell everyone I want to be a dentist b/c I thought I did. But it came to me after prayer & true self observation.... I don't want to be a dentist. I really want to do law. I don't know the first thing about what kind of law, but I feel as if this is what I'm meant to be. My mind is always playing devil's advocate, I'm a stickler for doing things right & lawfully. I can argue a point supurbly & I don't like to speak until I have all of my facts in order.
As a matter of fact my father always said he thought I would be a lawyer. I'm waiting for the right moment to tell everyone "nevermind".
Soror Paradise!!!

My father's a dentist TOO!!! And yeah, he wanted me to "follow in his footsteps". And yeah, I worked in his office... But HAYLE NAW I NEVER EVAR took the DAT and he got me into University of SoCal's Dental School--all expenses paid after I graduated!!!

But I chose to pursued my dream of becoming a scientist because understanding the basic molecular mechanisms of human disease intrigued me and excited me. As such as pursued a Ph.D. and it was difficult to say the least. Although my family thoroughly supported me, I had no "mentors" in the field--I knew of no one in my area that actively did biomedical research that could guide me into my track. Hence, it took me a lonnnggggg time to get my degree... But I got it... And I achieved my goal.

The issue now is what's next... It's publish or perish. NIH budgets are cut way down. It's dog eat dog for private funding. etc. etc. etc.

I'd be better off with a clinical degree--MD or DDS... But, I like I said a long time ago, I don't have the "patience for the patients"--like what do you do when you get a patient that comes in and his or her teeth ITCH? ... My father says he scratches them...

Anyhow, you ACTIVELY pursue your dream and do not defer your dream. Because YOU are the one that must live your life. NO ONE ELSE...

And although I may have no job, no funding, no help in a year if this crisis in funding continues, I will still have knowledge in my head and I can put it to good use in ways I have not previously considered. That is what getting a higher education is all about!!! We have to be multi-talented!!!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Re: My confession....

Quote:
Originally posted by lil_sunshine
I DON'T PLAN TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL FOR AT LEAST 5-10 YEARS FROM NOW, IF I EVEN DECIDE IN THAT TIME TO ATTEND AT ALL!!!

I'm interested in becoming an entrepreneur in the following careers: Travel Agent, Interior Decorator and Bridal Consultant. I may pursue real estate as well...
Just an aside, there aren't that many African American Bridal Consultants... Especially nationally recognized... And you may want to pursue a certificate in Event Planning while your at it--because that's where it's at... I'm considering doing that too!!!

Good luck to you...

Besides, don't listen to fools who ain't gonna pay and even if they do, if it is not in your heart, and you do not have the drive to do it, then you are failing yourself and God...

We all have Talents, we need to unleash them and use them to the best of our abilities... Suppressing them is depressing...

And I fail to buy into that crap about if you can't be a tree, be a bush, but be the best bush you outta be. That's settling and life's is way to short for that...

Folks need to live out the true meaning of their existence...

Everyone that is posting up here have some deferred dreams... Just don't detour them--or deter them--I think?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Confessions...

Quote:
Originally posted by PerfectVerse06
Is there something weighing heavy on your heart?

Something you need to get off of your chest?

Perhaps there's a secret you've been hiding from someone...

Well, here is the place to air that dirty laundry of yours!

It doesn't have to be something serious, just something that folks may not know about you.

It's time to let it GO!
I don't have anything I can think of that I need to hide... Nothing that weighs so heavy on my heart. I guess I'm not that kind of person. I've grown into that kind of person that when it happens, I deal with it. If I don't speak up, I am not stepping up and silence often spells death in some circumstances. And even if I look stoopid saying it, asking it, thinking it or whatever, I said my piece and yeah, my laundry was aired really dirty... So what? Who cares...

So maybe this is a thing that life experiences teaches you and I've been there, done that and guess what summa that stuff ain't worth the high blood pressure for it...

Life short... That's all I gotta say...

Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evaclear04
Wow.... I thought I may the only black person who has small dreams of doing event/wedding planning. My friends call me Martha Stewart JACKSON!
Naturally i'm a teacher at heart but I luuuuv party planning. So i have been milling around the idea of starting my own business.
I have no idea where to start.....and to make matters worse....i'm in a new city but i'm going to make something happen by this summer (hopfully....fingers crossed).

Oh and my confession....ummm
I went out on a date (among the couple) w/ a pretty well known boxer while me and my husband were 'courtin'. I know I know...bad me....spank my hand....but at the time was husband wasn't acting right .(as many do when the realize that they are in love but can't give up their playa card without fear of being ostracized from the fellas) and I needed some attention (only friendly attention...let's just clear that up. Plus i'm high maintenance) . My husband would be furious because we were all in the same club when the boxer approached me. And while we watch his fights on HBO my husband constantly makes comments about how he's my 'boyfriend'....little does he know...if he didn't straighten up and fly right he really would have been!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
I think I have a crush on my work friend, and I think he likes me too. I would love to ask him out, but I think that he'll turn me down. He took me out to lunch yesterday and I was for the rest of the day!