Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,193
0 members and 1,193 guests
No Members online

Old 11-06-2002, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Imthechamp

Oh yeah? Interesting. So who are these guys with the little weiners?
See: madmax, who is obviously stuck on me for some reason. Not that I can blame him though.

All my FL people, I say we get together and charter a plane somewhere, anywhere (maybe we will get a gorup discount, lol). Who's with me?
Old 11-06-2002, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22

See: madmax, who is obviously stuck on me for some reason. Not that I can blame him though.

All my FL people, I say we get together and charter a plane somewhere, anywhere (maybe we will get a gorup discount, lol). Who's with me?
Is there such a thing as a four year cruise? I'd hit that.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
I voted for Jeb and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I like the whole Bush family, but I *REALLY* like George P. On a side note, I'm from North(east) Florida and we're not all idiots. I

Now, the public school system has gone downhill in the past few years, but that wasn't Jeb's fault. That has a lot to do with local idiots running the system into the ground, which is a totally different thing all together...

~ Annie
Old 11-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Banned

My thoughts.....

First, Most people who I have met from North Florida have that hillbillie scent to them. They may be educated, but they still smell like rednecks to me. Anyone can be educated. I've seen some smart guys act like they were born in a barn and talked like they were from Alabama. Some people call Florida a southern state, I don't think things are very southern from Orlando down.

As for Palm Beach not being in South Florida, WTF??????

What do you consider South-Florida, Kdonline? I'd like to know.

I guess the criteria for a county to be South-Florida includes 1/2 of it being ghetto? You have to have x amount of hispanics living there? Crime rate has to be high?

I think MOST people from South-Florida would agree, West Palm is a better place to live than Miami.

BTW, what part of Miami are you from?
Old 11-06-2002, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Hillbilly? That's a bit harsh. Everyone has their fair share of hillbillies/rednecks/country people. You can find them even up north.

I do agree that Florida is a weird state, though. Really what we are is South Alabama, South Georgia and then there is a state that should be called Florida. The cut off should be anything south of Orlando. Once you get there, that's when people start to look at you weird when you ask for sweet tea. I'm sure we all know that if you can't get a sweet tea, you sure aren't in the south (excuse the double negative).
Old 11-07-2002, 11:13 AM

I'm originally from the Ft.Lauderdale area and I've ALWAYS been able to order sweet tea.........
Old 11-07-2002, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Question

What exactly is sweet tea and what the heck is the difference between it and "regular" tea?
Old 11-07-2002, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Sweat tea has alot more sugar in it than most teas.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: My thoughts.....

Quote:
Originally posted by UF_PikePC98

As for Palm Beach not being in South Florida, WTF??????

What do you consider South-Florida, Kdonline? I'd like to know.
Dade & Broward. Since you're from PB, perhaps you can tell the difference immediately - obviouly by the rest of your msg, you can. So then, why do YOU want to be included in "South Florida"? You're in the "Treasure Coast" area.

Quote:
I guess the criteria for a county to be South-Florida includes 1/2 of it being ghetto? You have to have x amount of hispanics living there? Crime rate has to be high?
If that's how you interpret statistics and geography, then...sure, that's fine. Whatever.

Quote:
I think MOST people from South-Florida would agree, West Palm is a better place to live than Miami.
That depends what you think is "better." And, why are you starting this "this is better than that" anyway? Who cares? You live in the Treasure Coast with your parents and you seem to think that's better. Great. Woohoo for you.

In one message, you're saying "yeahy South Florida" and now once you realize you don't REALLY live here, you get all insulting.

Like I said, whatever!

Quote:
BTW, what part of Miami are you from?
Coral Gables. What part of WPB are you from?
Old 11-07-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Oh, I beg to differ!

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
So, how long have you been in NoFlo? I've lived there my entire life (except to go to University), and the people I grew up around are some of the most educated people I've met anywhere. Look, there is a high military population, and a majority of people (at least where I live) are high ranking military officers (ever heard of a dumb general?) or are engineers for companies like Boeing and McDonnell. The public schools in Pcola aren't that great, but go about an hour to the east--the high schools (which for the most part are International High Schools which prepared us for admission to any University in the world) are some of the best in the state, sending kids to all the Ivies, MIT, and Caltech--every year.

Usually, I'm pretty antagonistic towards my home state. But cain't no one knock my North Florida!
I'm with you, Munchkin03. I've got family members down in Ft. Walton Beach who were brought to Florida many years ago because of my Air Force uncle being stationed at Eglin. I love the area down there, and the people are great -- highly educated, fun-loving, and polite... an awesome combination. I'd move there in a heartbeat. (Just gotta talk the boyfriend into it!)
Old 11-07-2002, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I too have lived in N. Fla for a minute. I think once you get past Tampa (where I also lived for a while) and Orlando, you are in South Florida. The culture is just DIFFERENT. In N. Fla, it is SOUTHERN, like the traditional Southern that usually conjures up images of Georgia and Alabama. This includes the Panhandle (where I am right now), and all the rural areas surrounding.

Once you hit Tampa, the population gets WAY more diverse (in terms of ethnic origin, not race). My family that lives in Tampa is Cuban and some of them barely speak English. When I used to live down there near Ybor City (which was not the tourist trap it is now, btw) nearly all the signs, grocery stores, whatever, were in Spanish. If you got lost down there and didn't speak Spanish, it sucked to be you.

Orlando is not even close. There are so many different kinds of people there, it isn't even funny.

When you start getting into Miami (the area that I am familiar with at least), it becomes basically an extension of the Caribbean. Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, you name it. If it is an island, there is a large representation in Miami.

Here in Tallahassee, many of the students are from S. Fla. Anyone can tell you how different it is.

Also, I am from Atlanta and moved straight to Tampa before coming here. I know the South, lol. South Fla ain't it.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Election glitch missed 103,000 votes in Florida county

Election glitch missed 103,000 votes in Florida county

Link to CNN story...
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-07-2002, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
When you start getting into Miami (the area that I am familiar with at least), it becomes basically an extension of the Caribbean. Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, you name it. If it is an island, there is a large representation in Miami.
Not just the islands...much of South America too: Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil....well, you all know your geography, right? <ahem!>

Quote:
I know the South, lol. South Fla ain't it.
Thank God for that!!!!

I keep saying, when I left Miami for UF, I went through culture shock: I had never been around so many gringos in my life (and I'm one too!).

And of course, right after graduating, I moved right back down. Hey, some like it, some don't.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Banned

Re: Re: My thoughts.....

Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline
[B]

Dade & Broward. Since you're from PB, perhaps you can tell the difference immediately - obviouly by the rest of your msg, you can. So then, why do YOU want to be included in "South Florida"? You're in the "Treasure Coast" area.

[B]

[B]

That depends what you think is "better." And, why are you starting this "this is better than that" anyway? Who cares? You live in the Treasure Coast with your parents and you seem to think that's better. Great. Woohoo for you.

In one message, you're saying "yeahy South Florida" and now once you realize you don't REALLY live here, you get all insulting.

Like I said, whatever!

Coral Gables. What part of WPB are you from?

Annie,

West palm is only ONE of the treasure coasts....Boca Raton is the other.

I'm not starting anything. You said West Palm is not S-Florida when in fact it is.......it's just the nicer part of South Florida. And I don't live with my parents.....only in the summer.

As for where my family lives......SPB.......