GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,385
4 members and 1,381 guests
LaneSig, MSKKG

Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alphagamphi
I went to a school where legacy did not really mean that much - its was more on connection but definitly not as competive as other friends of mine recruitment. I did not have gpa problems out of high school and i got invited back by a possible 8/9. We saw all 12 hours on greek day and now I know three chapters have left since i went through rush in 1997. chapters in round 1. And i pledged a top chapter at my school.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamphi View Post
I went to a school where legacy did not really mean that much - its was more on connection but definitely not as competitive as other friends of mine recruitment. I did not have gpa problems out of high school and i got invited back by a possible 8/9. We saw all 12 houses on greek day and now I know three chapters have left since i went through rush in 1997. chapters in round 1. And i pledged a top chapter at my school.
Legacy policies are set by the individual organizations not by the campus. Each organization has it's own policies on how many times legacies must be invited back, etc. I believe some orgs are prohibited from cutting legacies at all (barring academic issues,) others can from the get-go and most probably fall somewhere in the middle. Chapters typically must follow the policy set by their HQ with regards to legacies- these policies typically have little to do with the campus environment.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAXOTerp View Post
I believe some orgs are prohibited from cutting legacies at all (barring academic issues,)
I don't know how this would be possible, as some orgs could fill quota AND MORE with just their legacies...
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I don't know how this would be possible, as some orgs could fill quota AND MORE with just their legacies...
Maybe there are provisions for situations like that- that wasn't an issue that ever came up in my chapter- but I do remember hearing through the rumor mill on my campus that certain chapters had very tough times getting rid of legacies.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I doubt it this is the case at Oregon State.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
I doubt it this is the case at Oregon State.
My point was that I don't know for sure, but I doubt that there are any orgs that have rules against cutting a legacy for any other reason except grades. Some make it more difficult than others, but I don't think any make it impossible.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree, over the years on GC I've seen legacies to almost every organization getting cut. It seems to me if a chapter has a problem with not being able to release legacies it may be that the chapter isn't very strong in recruitment as a whole. The problem isn't that they can't release legacies, it's that the girls they DO like aren't returning, so the chapter ends up with the legacies they tried to release.

Last edited by OtterXO; 06-14-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammar issue :)
Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
I agree, over the years on GC I've seen legacies to almost every organization getting cut. It seems to me if a chapter has a problem with not being able to release legacies it may be that the chapter isn't very strong in recruitment as a whole. The problem isn't that they can't release legacies, it's that the girls they DO like aren't returning, so the chapter ends up with the legacies they tried to release.
I seem to remember as a collegian 2 of the top chapters at my school getting "stuck" w/ a few legacies (not sisters of in-house actives either) and then basically saying stuff about it- like oh we got a great pledge class and then mentioning the legacy as a one-off- or something like that...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I seem to remember as a collegian 2 of the top chapters at my school getting "stuck" w/ a few legacies (not sisters of in-house actives either) and then basically saying stuff about it- like oh we got a great pledge class and then mentioning the legacy as a one-off- or something like that...
I just think it's hard to tell what goes on behind the scenes unless you're there. I sincerely doubt that if every member of a chapter was not thrilled with a legacy, that she would be extended a bid. Sometimes every active isn't in love with every new member, and that might be the situation with the chapters at your school.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just think it's hard to tell what goes on behind the scenes unless you're there. I sincerely doubt that if every member of a chapter was not thrilled with a legacy, that she would be extended a bid. Sometimes every active isn't in love with every new member, and that might be the situation with the chapters at your school.
I would agree except for the fact that I remember 2 cases at 2 separate but very socially strong chapters, where it was very obvious who the legacy in the pledge class was- it was like playing that game of "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong..."
Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would agree except for the fact that I remember 2 cases at 2 separate but very socially strong chapters, where it was very obvious who the legacy in the pledge class was- it was like playing that game of "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong..."
haha, I know what you mean. Wouldn't we know if an organization has that policy though? It seems like that would be an aspect of MS that would be tough to keep a secret.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
haha, I know what you mean. Wouldn't we know if an organization has that policy though? It seems like that would be an aspect of MS that would be tough to keep a secret.
I completely agree with you- in fact while I was a collegian (way back in the days before Greek chat) we assumed that both of these organizations HAD to keep their legacies and that's why I thought that perhaps there were some organizations that kept their legacies on barring academic issues.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I completely agree with you- in fact while I was a collegian (way back in the days before Greek chat) we assumed that both of these organizations HAD to keep their legacies and that's why I thought that perhaps there were some organizations that kept their legacies on barring academic issues.
I do know that there are a few orgs that require a call to the legacy's relative with a reason before they can cut a PNM. Maybe those chapters would rather just suck it up and take the girl than have to call an alum and explain why they're not taking her precious angel.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I do know that there are a few orgs that require a call to the legacy's relative with a reason before they can cut a PNM. Maybe those chapters would rather just suck it up and take the girl than have to call an alum and explain why they're not taking her precious angel.
I can't imagine many things worse during recruitment than calling a sister and telling her that her daughter is being released. Eek.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Boy, I know what would be worse. Either getting the call or not getting the call and finding out from your legacy. I know a mom and first daughter in one group and the second daughter was released last year and the chapter never called, the second daughter did--in hysterics. Mom went there immediately and the daughter pledged another group but Mom and first daughter haven't recovered yet. They wrote to their national office but only got the stock response--"we're sorry, each chapter makes its own membership selections".

Actually, few women around here do get the call when their daughters are released. There are just so many....