Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,055
1 members and 1,054 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-23-2005, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the long and short of it...

Quote:
Originally posted by SummerChild
Alright, alright. Who do they play next?
SC
Some team called Michigan State
Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the long and short of it...

Aww, boo!
What's the weather in NC? We are happy in the Chi to get a high of 40 degrees today! One's perspective is just all skewed when it's cold every month out of the year. Good luck to your team. They can take 'em.

SC
Quote:
Originally posted by RBL
Some team called Michigan State
Old 03-24-2005, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Exactly what you said. This could set a dangerous precedent with government intrusion into private affairs.

Plus, considering how young she was when it happened and the total unexpectancy ofit, I am not surprised the couple did not have a living will.

Yet I can't understand why no one wants to believe the husband when he said that at one point she said she would not want to be keep alive like this. It would not have been unusual for something like that to come ujp in conversation, maybe around something they saw in the news.

I mean, is she really living?
According to physicians, she's in an unconscious state. She doesn't know when she's hungry or thirsty. Her blinking and moving only shows that the brain stem is working, but there are no other reactions in any other part of the brain. She's basically like they said, in a vegetated state with no chances of ever gaining consciousness.

I personally think the parents are just delaying the inevitable, and don't want to let go. Their child, to me, is already gone. It's unfair to let her be like this. They need to let her go to God.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
My understanding was that the because of the advanced nature of her condition, the starvation wouldn't cause her any more agony than she is already experiencing. I could be wrong though.
She's already unconscious, so she wouldn't know that she was starving...she'd just go on to God like she should have been allowed to do years ago. This must be very hard for the family and for the husband, because seeing her like this is already painful enough, but to have Congress butting in is even worse.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We know she's starving. Criminals are treated better. *smh*

Also, we have the same type of individuals in our school systems. They are "tested" and everything based on their eye movements, etc. *smh*
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phillyinterest6
Red face

I think it's really sad. I understand her family's point of veiw and her husband. I dont know any person who would want to be in the state that she is in for 15 years! Yet if it were my mother i would try to hold on to her as long as her heart is still beating. It's hard to let go of someone you love so dearly. Yet her husband( who now has a girlfriend and 2 kids), i can understand his point of veiw he knows that his wife wont ever be the same again or close to that, he is trying to move on after 15 years who wouldnt! Yet personally after i get married i know my wide is suposed to make those choices, BUT im leaving those choices to my mother and father if they are still around. I believe the people who bought me into this world and cared for me and knew me best for all my life should be the ones to make that choice. I know the bibie says that when a man is married he must leave the home of his mother and father and be one with his wife, but thats just me. I would hope my family knows me well enogh to know i wouldnt want that, but i'll take me chances with them before i would with someone i've only known for part of my life,
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

15 years of being kept alive on a minimal level, but completely brain-dead...I mean, besides everything else...I think it's a waste of a hospital bed and supplies that somebody else that actually need them, could be using...this woman will NEVER recover...it's time to let go...
Did I misunderstand that Ms. Schiavo got to be in this state because she was severely anorexic and something went wrong?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Journalist1922
Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
15 years of being kept alive on a minimal level, but completely brain-dead...I mean, besides everything else...I think it's a waste of a hospital bed and supplies that somebody else that actually need them, could be using...this woman will NEVER recover...it's time to let go...
Did I misunderstand that Ms. Schiavo got to be in this state because she was severely anorexic and something went wrong?
Yes. She was bulimic. I think she had a stroke or a heart attack or something, but whatever it was, the bulimia set it off and put her in the state that she's in.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

As I've said before, dogs and cats are not allowed to die in this manner. You would have everyone on their granny after you if you starved Fido to death - incapcitated or not.

I'm sorry, but the husband still does not sit well with me. How noble of him to honor what he claims is her desire - but yet you dishonor your vow of marriage by taking a new girlfriend, having kids, etc. - But yet, someone I'm suspose to believe you have her best interest at heart?

I still don't understand why he didn't just give her parents power of attorney because its obvious he's moved on.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 03-28-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

-How could a husband with two families have either wife's best interest at heart?

-I'm in geriatrics, and have seen a "vegetative state". Granted, Terri's quality of life isn't wonderful, but she is alive.

-She's on a morphine drip. Have any of y'all been on a morphine trip? It's pretty euphoric, if not completely putting you out. Her father accidentally bumped her bed, and she came out of the drip's euphoria, and looked right up at her father.

-Terri is capable of swallowing. If the feeding tube had to be removed, why wasn't she permitted fluids? Because they want her dead!

I guess what I want to say is that I'd be afraid to play God. Call me what you will, but I do fear the Lord, just as I also love Him. I have no idea what His plan is for Terri, but I'm sure there is a purpose. (Romans 8:28)
Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
okay - all i'm thinking is 'damn, 15 years'

what the hell?!?!?! 15 years. ehhhh....

as far as the arguements about him moving on... well damn...15 years.

- marissa
A GD
Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Basically my view is this:

- If she is completely unresposive then I can see why people would want her to "pass"

- However that does not mean that she should die of starvation or dehydration... afterall prisoners on 'Death Row' are treated with more consideration and dignity than this woman. If you are going to condemn her to death at least have the balls to make sure she doesn't suffer.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 03-30-2005, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Micheal MUST have a Million dollar policy on this lady. He SHOULD "sign" Terri over to the parents. Of course, that's my humble opinion.

This is a bunch of foolishness! The lady has survived without nourishment for 12 days or so...

The Lord is NOT asleep. Micheal Shiavo WILL pay for his actions!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Also, we have the same type of individuals in our school systems. They are "tested" and everything based on their eye movements, etc. *smh*
Very well said. This is just a sticky, complex issue, but having Terri to starve to death is not the answer. She's still human.

Last edited by delph998; 03-30-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This is a bunch of foolishness! The lady has survived without nourishment for 12 days or so...

The Lord is NOT asleep. Micheal Shiavo WILL pay for his actions!
Not only has she survived but the same Atlanta court that denied her parent's petition TWICE has now agreed to here their case.

Late in the midnight hour..