GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,445
0 members and 1,445 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'd like to add just one more thing (for those who still think they can get away with a "little white lie" or two): your high school may have been big, and you may be going to a huge university - but the Greek System can and usually is very tight when it finds a liar or other undesirable character flaw!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
True, and you anger one chapter, it will get around to the others.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
Also, we had a PNM who transferred from another school. She was actually a member of an org that wasn't on our campus, so she decided to rush again without telling anyone she was already a member. She ended up getting a bid from an org. but later she was asked to leave by their nationals when she was found out.
I have a story just like that-- except my sorority is the one the girl transferred from and went to a nearby school where there was not an ADPi chapter. She went through rush and somebody caught on after she became a new member of the sorority and she was never initiated-- but it was a close call!

WHY PEOPLE- WHY??
Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
I have a story just like that-- except my sorority is the one the girl transferred from and went to a nearby school where there was not an ADPi chapter. She went through rush and somebody caught on after she became a new member of the sorority and she was never initiated-- but it was a close call!

WHY PEOPLE- WHY??
I think that if someone does that or attempts to do that, then her membership should be revoked for both sororities, not just the one at her transfer school.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a girl in a chapter at my school (of a different sorority) that did that. She was a transfer student and had been in XYZ at the previous school. Since they didn't have a chapter at my school, she went through rush again and joined ABC. The girls of ABC all knew, but they initiated her anyways! From what I heard, the nationals of ABC didn't count her as an official member, but the girls of ABC all treated her as an active sister.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
There was a girl in a chapter at my school (of a different sorority) that did that. She was a transfer student and had been in XYZ at the previous school. Since they didn't have a chapter at my school, she went through rush again and joined ABC. The girls of ABC all knew, but they initiated her anyways! From what I heard, the nationals of ABC didn't count her as an official member, but the girls of ABC all treated her as an active sister.
Why would you even initiate someone like that if you knew she was in another sorority?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
Why would you even initiate someone like that if you knew she was in another sorority?
My question is why their nationals didn't tan their butts (figuratively speaking). That's a violation of NPC rules and to think that a national would just kind of wink at it makes me ill. I'm hoping they didn't have a clue and this girl was just hidden when the traveling consultants came around.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I heard of this ONCE on my campus, where a girl transferred from another school and her org. was not at Illinois. I know she paid dues and did social events with a chapter there. She did not participate in ritual or rush, just sisterhood and social stuff. On one hand, I would think this would be okay, but it seems like it *may* have opened the door for an RM nightmare if anything had happened to her and she was not covered by insurance.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh goody, this debate again.

Y'all, it is REALLY REALLY HARD to be a transfer student. If you haven't been one, you probably can't even begin to understand how much it sucks. The girls who double initiate aren't saying "Oh, I'm going to screw Gamma Phi over and become a DG," they are girls who miss their sisters and miss the social life and structure.

It's really easy to criticize something you don't understand.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that many NPCs, including Gamma Phi, allow "social affiliation" as discussed above.

Pretty much, if a girl is ABC somewhere else, transfers to a school where there is no ABC, but she gets to know some XYZs and loves them and wants to continue being involved in greek life, XYZ can vote her into social affiliation. The only thing the girl is excluded from is rituals. Philanthropy, social, etc. is all allowed under social affiliation.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Excellent point GP!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by kk_gphib_01
I know that many NPCs, including Gamma Phi, allow "social affiliation" as discussed above.

Pretty much, if a girl is ABC somewhere else, transfers to a school where there is no ABC, but she gets to know some XYZs and loves them and wants to continue being involved in greek life, XYZ can vote her into social affiliation. The only thing the girl is excluded from is rituals. Philanthropy, social, etc. is all allowed under social affiliation.

I've never heard this, that's interesting. Is there anything about it on the national site? I'd love to read more about it.

I think the biggest problem is that we assume everyone in every greek system is as NPC-aware as we are. They aren't! I can't even TELL you how many times I was asked to rush when I transferred. Over and over and over, "So, are you rushing?" when I JUST FINISHED talking about my sorority at VCU.

It's good natured at heart, I think -- they see a girl who obviously was good sisterhood material before, why not now? They don't know you can't pledge two groups, as long as it's on two different campuses.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Oh goody, this debate again.

Y'all, it is REALLY REALLY HARD to be a transfer student. If you haven't been one, you probably can't even begin to understand how much it sucks. The girls who double initiate aren't saying "Oh, I'm going to screw Gamma Phi over and become a DG," they are girls who miss their sisters and miss the social life and structure.

I knew you would be happy this was coming up again.

FWIW, I have NO issue with people who've transferred socializing with another group - the problem is that our social functions and everything else have become so bogged down with risk management that casual parties and things like that are becoming nonexistent. Sometimes it seems all we do ARE meetings and ritual.

If there is a clause for "social affiliation" that's great, but I'm guessing that would be more like the sorority inviting you in. That's a lot different than going through formal rush as if you were a blank slate.

Unfortunately this is one of those issues where a few jerks have ruined it for everyone. I mean, GP, I know if you were allowed to rush at another school you would be aboveboard about the whole thing and have good reasons and really want to contribute to whatever group you joined - in other words, you would be respectful of both your "new" and "old" sisters. That isn't always the case. There are women out there who know damn well what they're doing and think it's a jolly old joke.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-21-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin

But, isn't that the theme of GC?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, I can kind of understand the people who don't realize they can't affiliate with two different sororities on two different campuses. (Although I remember it being covered during our new member ed.)

On our campus though we had a slightly different situation. A girl transferred in and was a member of ABC at her original school. We had a chapter of ABC on our campus, but they were not a particularly popular sorority so this girl went through rush and joined XYZ instead. She was initiated and even moved into the house winter term. She was eventually found out though. Apparently she talked about ABC a little too much (including ritual) and one of XYZ's field consultants got suspicious.