GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,706
2 members and 1,704 guests
flirt5721
View Poll Results: Single or Shared Room In Sorority House?
Single-I need my space but still want to be around my sisters! 14 58.33%
Share-Sharing is caring! No better bonding than to be with sisters day&night! 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Our chapter house slept 67, in a mix of singles and doubles, with one triple. For the most part, sophomores got doubles, and juniors got singles or a double if they didn't have a lot of points. I think it was fun to room with someone, but it was also nice to be in the president's suite :-)

We had an open air dorm that nobody slept in regularly, but it was often used for visitors or live-outs. During work week prior to recruitment, a lot of seniors stayed there if their apartments weren't available yet.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

4 mans (or quads) at my school are most desirable... how odd! (they're also huge though, no bunks or anything)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm transferring schools next semester and will go from sharing a dorm floor to actually having a sorority house. I wanna check out the rooms since all of this talk of porches etc. has made me curious. Do you think it would be rude if I asked to come see the house? It's summer though...maybe no one is there. Hmm. What do you think?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon11 View Post
I'm transferring schools next semester and will go from sharing a dorm floor to actually having a sorority house. I wanna check out the rooms since all of this talk of porches etc. has made me curious. Do you think it would be rude if I asked to come see the house? It's summer though...maybe no one is there. Hmm. What do you think?
Have you gone through the affiliation process with the new chapter? If not, I wouldn't assume that they will extend active membership to you, or that you will live in the house.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Have you gone through the affiliation process with the new chapter? If not, I wouldn't assume that they will extend active membership to you, or that you will live in the house.
Definitely what irishpipes said. If the answer is yes, then many times people will live in over the summer while they take summer classes. Or at least they do out here. It may not be as nice however. I know that over the summer girls had to do all the cleaning and fewer lived in.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Lol of course. That would be way too presumptuous had I not.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of the fraternity houses are open in the summer, they still have guys living in them sometimes. Most of the sorority houses close for the summer. If you want to see one, I would contact someone with the chapter and see if a sister or alumna can take you on a tour. :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Contact the chapter president. Even if they are closed for the summer, there may be times when it's open. My house had "summer chapter" where whoever could come, usually along with parents, would come paint, do light maintenance, maybe deliver and install new beds which seemed to be a never ending process in an old house with 60 beds. If they do anything like this you DEFINITELY want to participate. It will be a great bonding moment ahead of moving in and starting in on work week.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a single when I lived in, but it was the size of a closet. Actually, my closet was bigger (not kidding, we called it "the annex"), but didn't have an outside window, so the smaller room was where I had to sleep and the larger room was where all my stuff went besides my bed and tiny little TV. I never understood why they didn't knock out the wall between the two rooms and wall up the inside window in the one.

Anyway, only 8 women lived-in for us, and there were 4 singles and two doubles. I took a really full course load the year I was in the house, so I appreciated having my own space, even if it was a little wonky.