GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,288
0 members and 1,288 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2003, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Go ahead! Although there may be some national policies against giving bids to married women, they are outdated! As you can tell from this board, most members/chapters have no idea what their rules are on the issue.

On the issue of them wanting/ not wanting you because you are married, you don't want to be a part of a goroup that will throw you to the wayside once they figure out you have a hubby. Personally, I wouldn't offer the info just so they know (like, Hi! I'm gay), but I wouldn't hide from it up either (ie, if a sister says something that reminds you of your honeymoon, or of your wedding, tell the story).

My boyfriend is divorced and has a 2 year old and is thinking of rushing. He'd be the best brother if he decided to do it, and I'd have a much worse opinion of any frat on campus thought to turn him down because he couldn't live in the house.
-M
Old 03-12-2003, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I know my AGD chapter has pledged married women so go for it!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Married student wants to Rush this fall....

Quote:
Originally posted by scprettygirl
Hey, I want to rush this fall and I'm a 19 year old married sophmore. Do you think this

Oddly enough, according to her profile, her birthday is August 3, 1974. That makes her well over 19 yeats old.

.....Kelly
Old 03-12-2003, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah I was wondering about that....
Old 03-12-2003, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
We gave a bid to a married woman this fall. We have had other women in the past also married coming in to Phi Sig. Phi Sig's policy as sure as other NPC sororities doesn't state that you can't extend a married woman a bid, and at any time in her active membership she can be granted alumnae status due to being married. I hope that info helps. kinda repeated everyone else, but oh well.

Thats strange about the bday info.... who knows
Old 03-12-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Everyone does realize that this thread is from over a year ago lol?

But, I think we can tell from her lack of follow up posts that we managed to talk her out of Rushing and genuinely probably made her feel very bad about herself lol.

And I always thought girls were more supportive of eachother!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it's from last fall, but the issues are still current. Some other woman might be interested in the information.

Anyway, the fact that she never returned doesn't mean we scared her off. There are posts all over this board from people who posted once or twice or ten times and then never again.

I don't think anybody said anything that should have scared anybody off . . .
Old 03-12-2003, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Reread it gorgeous . Trust me. Almost no one would Rush after this one.

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I know it's from last fall, but the issues are still current. Some other woman might be interested in the information.

Anyway, the fact that she never returned doesn't mean we scared her off. There are posts all over this board from people who posted once or twice or ten times and then never again.

I don't think anybody said anything that should have scared anybody off . . .
Old 03-13-2003, 11:01 AM

James,

maybe she left because Kelly "outed" her.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh please, James. If the information read in this thread made someone decide not to rush then maybe they aren't cut out for it to begin with. I rather suspect what made her decide not to rush is that she is a 29 year old married student, (as her profile states) and not 19. There is a big difference in a 19 yr. old going through recruitment (married or not) and a 29 year old. Methinks she was yanking our chains a bit.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
James,

maybe she left because Kelly "outed" her.

ehehehehehee...

Well, seeing that her last post was 7 months ago, and I posted mine a day ago, one could hardly conclude that she left because of me.

Though, I am thinking that she may have left because she was embarassed. I kinda wonder if the "19" was originally a typo. Then when people started going off on the topic, she realized her mistake and was too embarassed to say "Uhm...I meant 29."

Also, let's not forget that she mentioned that the rush orientation was the same night she made her post. She might have gone and saw it wasn't for her, chickened out etc.

Anyway, the thread is still useful as people might come along who do a search for the topic.

.....Kelly
Old 03-13-2003, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The typo in her birthday could have been a typo just as easily as the one about her age. I don't think I ever would have realized it if I'd entered the wrong birthday in my profile -- I don't ever look at it!

But yeah, 29 is a big difference from 19.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDZO Susan
Alpha Gamma Delta does not have this rule. However the member has the option of going alum. I'm sure most orgs are similar in this.

I have known married women to go through and pledge. It's very important to be clear when going through recruitment where your priorities are and how joining a sorority fits into those.
I was just going to say that. One of my pledge sisters [and closest friends to this day] pledged [as we still called it back them] as a married student. Her marital status was taken into consideration of course, but she received a bid, and was a very active member until she and her husband got transferred to Seattle.

My chapter doesn't have a house, so that wasn't a problem...but was amazing about this sister was the fact that she had a wonderful husband who supported her all the way who, at the same time, supported the Delta Sigma chapter as much as he could!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by scprettygirl
Hey, I want to rush this fall and I'm a 19 year old married sophmore. Do you think this will lower my chances of receiving a bid? I am a transfer student and don't really know to many people.
Dear scprettygirl,
Which college are you hoping to do recruitment (i.e. rush) at?
If we knew which school it was, we could help you check what groups were there on campus.

If you already know what groups are on campus, may I suggest that you email their Head Offices (the website will usually be www.sororityname.org ) and explain to them that
1) You want to do Formal Recruitment at "such and such university"
2) You are married
and

You want to ask:
3) You want to ask whether you are eligible to receive a bid for membership as a Collegian?

I think it's better to get the answer straight from the source.
I think this is one of those "grey" areas where different sororities will have a different take on it.

Good Luck and let us know what happens!
Old 03-15-2003, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

married student in rush

Just a thought: Marriage is probably a bigger strike at large state schools with 150 + girl sororities as smaller schools may not go for as much of a certain type and may be a little less socially oriented.
My DU chapter had one or two married acitives , I partcularly remember Randy Price , Randy was married and a born again christian who did not drink. Randy was a very popular guy in the chapter, at Christmas we seranaded the sororities on campus, and we had a Piano we loaded onto a wide bed pick up truck(only in Texas!) and Randy played the hell out of the Piano for musical accompanimant. Hardly a typical beer drinking sports crazed frat boy!
My wife was an ADPI at Vanderbilt and she can't recall a married women going through rush while she was active.