Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,005
1 members and 1,004 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PerroLoco
No self-respecting Greek org should be stepping with or against non D9. Its garbage.

You don't get to be elite by having others pimp your glory, style, and reputation.

I beg to differ with another writer, stepping is the PROVINCE of Black Greeks. All others are mimicry, no matter how well they do it.

You are only publicizing and giving equal weight to other orgs. That is not our purpose. Let them fund, sponsor, and publicize their own events.

For those who say "but what about the money"? STOP PIMPIN' YOURSELVES. If we don't participate, there is no draw and they will quickly go back to the previous rules. I'm not spending 0, 20 dollars, ride in from out of town, roadtrip, etc to see some damn KKY, The Jets and the Sharks, or the Gay Pride Step Team, nor First Baptist Holy Ghost Bible Fellowship Full Gospel Tabernacle House of Praise and Chicken step team.

Be elite, be the best, or be mediocre.
EXACTAMUNDO!!!!!!!!

It's nice to see that somebody actually gets it. Sheesh!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I rest my case

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
Like I said earlier, yall just afraid that another group would run circles around you, whoop yalls behind, and just steal your thunda and glory.

I dunno if it's elitism or fear, but I venture to say that it's a little of both.
It's definitely elitism. And I embrace it fully, in this situation.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMonika
it would be mainly a big picture thing.

And in the grand scheme of things (big picture), they are not on our level, and we should give the appearance that they are.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
I'm amazed at people who don't get this.
But the "big picture" as you presented it was all about money, which is sad.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: I rest my case

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Spoken like a true, black APO member.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
But the "big picture" as you presented it was all about money, which is sad.
It's not about money actually.

It could be as little as Room access or as big as being labled as the non-cooperative group.

The facts are the following:

* It does come to money in one way: Since the University is paying for the event, Then they can determine the rules in anyway the see fit. Since we are in the "Diversity" phase, this was bound to happen. If the Other organizatons kick up too much of a fuss (or even if the University Administration fuss), because of the Federal Funding the University receives. They can "diversify" any event they feel does not represent the wholeness of the University (I used to work in the Student Affairs office).

* In order to have a "pure" NPHC Stepshow, The NPHC must pay for it in full without University funding (following the Golden rule: the person with the gold makes the rules).

* Because the Black Population is not the largest (My assumption), it is up to all organizations to work the Collegiate Hustle. One way that campus politics wouldn't be necessary would be if the Alumni/Graduate chapters and Community Organizations in the area will be able to pick up the clout they may lose as a consequence of their actions.

If it can happen where I was (in CA), it can happen anywere. Room Reservations were "lost", rules were changed in Programing Procedures "suddenly, and credibility with faculty (in the Birthplace of the Black Studies College Cirriculum) was weaning.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMonika
It's not about money actually.

It could be as little as Room access or as big as being labled as the non-cooperative group.

The facts are the following:

* It does come to money in one way: Since the University is paying for the event, Then they can determine the rules in anyway the see fit. Since we are in the "Diversity" phase, this was bound to happen. If the Other organizatons kick up too much of a fuss (or even if the University Administration fuss), because of the Federal Funding the University receives. They can "diversify" any event they feel does not represent the wholeness of the University (I used to work in the Student Affairs office).

* In order to have a "pure" NPHC Stepshow, The NPHC must pay for it in full without University funding (following the Golden rule: the person with the gold makes the rules).

* Because the Black Population is not the largest (My assumption), it is up to all organizations to work the Collegiate Hustle. One way that campus politics wouldn't be necessary would be if the Alumni/Graduate chapters and Community Organizations in the area will be able to pick up the clout they may lose as a consequence of their actions.

If it can happen where I was (in CA), it can happen anywere. Room Reservations were "lost", rules were changed in Programing Procedures "suddenly, and credibility with faculty (in the Birthplace of the Black Studies College Cirriculum) was weaning.
The "big picture" will depend on campus and city.

Not everyone has a "big picture" to see. Not every campus or city has nonNPHC organizations that are visible enough to compete in stepshows (or notoriety, for that matter).

Those of you who do have a "big picture" to see should definitely try to see it. This doesn't mean you HAVE to want to step against GSS or Swing Phi Swing but it means that you will 1) do it anyway because it benefits you and yours or 2) be more diplomatic in your refusal to do so.

Just make sure you don't let the Swings and the GSSs whoop your asses in the competition.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course not. I just think that D9 orgs are more reputable, and we lend credibility to those other orgs, when we step in shows with them.
If you are talking about the credibility of some of their traditions, I agree. However, there are some relatively old BGLOs that aren't recognized by the NPHC. I would never say that a nonNPHC BGLO shouldn't be stepping and strolling. As far as nonBGLOs, national service organizations and professional orgs like Phi Alpha Delta stepping and strolling...LOL....

Regarding overall credibility, any organization that is upholding service is credible and gets respect from me. That doesn't mean I expect to see the 4H Club or The Salvation Army competing in stepping and strolling competitions.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not spending 0, 20 dollars, ride in from out of town, roadtrip, etc to see some damn KKY, The Jets and the Sharks, or the Gay Pride Step Team, nor First Baptist Holy Ghost Bible Fellowship Full Gospel Tabernacle House of Praise and Chicken step team.

Awwwwwwwww dang!

I'm not going to laugh! I'm looking above for the lightning to strike at any moment!

I understand.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My status is worth more than money to me. Those others are not on our level.
Go, on Boom_Quack13!

Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. . .what about the money"? STOP PIMPIN' YOURSELVES. If we don't participate, there is no draw and they will quickly go back to the previous rules. I'm not spending 0, 20 dollars, ride in from out of town, roadtrip, etc to see some damn KKY, The Jets and the Sharks, or the Gay Pride Step Team, nor First Baptist Holy Ghost Bible Fellowship Full Gospel Tabernacle House of Praise and Chicken step team.

Be elite, be the best, or be mediocre.
/hikack

You are fool for this...

/end hijack
Old 01-10-2006, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Just make sure you don't let the Swings and the GSSs whoop your asses in the competition.

~ That's real. Don't make this much of a fuss and then let them beat you. That would be worse than boycotting...
Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

They don't have to compete. They can entertain.

When I was in school (the only group affected), KKY entertained the crowd while the judges deliberated.

At the last home coming step shwo I attended, a church group from the Midwest was invited to do the same.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
dangit, don't make me laugh at my own bruhs!

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

When I was in school (the only group affected), KKY entertained the crowd while the judges deliberated.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

At the last home coming step shwo I attended, a church group from the Midwest was invited to do the same.
You're right and many stepshows use those teams as exhibitions instead of competition. Many people won't pay to see the Girl Scouts step in a competition......