Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,268
3 members and 1,265 guests
flirt5721, KEGirl01

Old 08-18-2024, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I didn’t even know about Prunetacos…one day I was randomly reading an article about Ivins and I saw “Greekchat!” It was a weird moment.
Old 08-18-2024, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Just happened to log on today, and saw this post. Happy 25th, GC! Congratulations, John!

My favorite posts that I can remember were:
- the Rush Stories (when they first started)
- the beauty pageant KΔ pledge who was never initiated
- realizing that a serial killer had researched and posted on here
- discussing how Greek life is portrayed in the media: as in the book Pledged or the TV a show Greek…etc.

I’ve met several GCers over the years, and I still consider a few of them friends.

I can’t remember how I found this site, but I remember John asking me early on to be a Moderator, which I declined.
Old 08-19-2024, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
How did you first learn of GC?
I first learned of GC (GreekChat) looking for Greek Chat, lol. Ok, so I used to post on an ethnic Greek chatroom, and then it closed down, but this site showed up, which seemed like in its place. I thought you had to be in a greek organization to join, because many of us ethnic Greeks were being told we were on the wrong site. So, I made something up, thinking I needed to in order to stay. Long story short, here I am 18 years later.

Who are / were your favorite GCers?
Current GCers: PrettyBoy, AGDee, Scienwoman, aggieAXO, Phrozen Sands, and John.

Past GCers: agzg, Alumiyum, als (I forget the other part of her username), Tony, DaemonSeid, knightshadow, and I’m sure I’m missing a few others because I can’t remember their usernames.

How has GC impacted your life?
Let’s just say I’m very blessed.

Oh, and my favorite train wrecks were the ones I started for my own amusement. People used to get so mad at me, especially on the primate museum train wreck thread I started. People thought I was serious, but I was SO trolling, lol. I was literally sitting in front of my computer in tears laughing so hard! Hilarious! thinking about it.
Aww-right back at ya my fellow veterinarian CG!!

How I found GC- I use to work overnights and was trying to stay awake at 3 am- I found GC and was obsessed, then 9/11 happened and it was down for several days (I can’t remember how long but felt like an eternity). I met some good people on here and am still in contact with a couple of them. I joined when I was 29 and now am 52- so crazy-feels like yesterday
Old 08-19-2024, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

John, I got your email. Somehow it even skipped my special GC filter (that I keep so I can see if any of my favorite threads have been updated) and hit my proper inbox, really encouraging me to come out of the woodwork. You continue to create magic, 25 years later.

Nice to see myself in the "former" gc'ers category for some. While I do log in a few times a year to catch up, I'm more connected folks without usernames on Facebook and through other volunteer networks.

I joined when I was a collegian for party ideas and it's safe to say I would never have become an engaged alumna (well, to the level I am now, which has waned some in the wake of motherhood) without examples like AGDee, DoctorD, and AGDLynn showing me all the many ways one can contribute as an alumna.

My favorite thread ever was when christiangirl told us she had crossed DST.
Old 08-19-2024, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
John, I got your email. Somehow it even skipped my special GC filter (that I keep so I can see if any of my favorite threads have been updated) and hit my proper inbox, really encouraging me to come out of the woodwork. You continue to create magic, 25 years later.

Nice to see myself in the "former" gc'ers category for some. While I do log in a few times a year to catch up, I'm more connected folks without usernames on Facebook and through other volunteer networks.

I joined when I was a collegian for party ideas and it's safe to say I would never have become an engaged alumna (well, to the level I am now, which has waned some in the wake of motherhood) without examples like AGDee, DoctorD, and AGDLynn showing me all the many ways one can contribute as an alumna.

My favorite thread ever was when christiangirl told us she had crossed DST.
Hugs sis! I think I recruited you to my team from here!
Old 08-19-2024, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined when I was in graduate school. Since my account was hacked and I had to form a new account, I don't know when I joined (and I lurked a while before joining anyway). But it had to be before August 2001, when justamom started "They're having a blast," her daughter's LSU rush thread. I was riveted! It was better than Survivor!

I also have strong memories of the introduction of RFM, and how quickly WRCs got bigger and systems expanded at campuses following RFM.

breathesgelatin was my favorite poster to learn from. What a mind and what a heart. She had one of the best rush threads, too.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

As for favorite posters…I really liked als! She is a veteran, too. I hope she’s out living her best life.

Also, I’ve always enjoyed the sarcastic ones. The ones with the best comebacks to trolls…Knight Shadow comes to mind!
Old 08-19-2024, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
I joined when I was in graduate school. Since my account was hacked and I had to form a new account, I don't know when I joined (and I lurked a while before joining anyway). But it had to be before August 2001, when justamom started "They're having a blast," her daughter's LSU rush thread. I was riveted! It was better than Survivor!

I also have strong memories of the introduction of RFM, and how quickly WRCs got bigger and systems expanded at campuses following RFM.

breathesgelatin was my favorite poster to learn from. What a mind and what a heart. She had one of the best rush threads, too.
I loved justamom's threads about her daughter's rush!

breathesgelatin is living in Austin and has 2 daughters.
Old 08-19-2024, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn’t even know about Prunetacos…one day I was randomly reading an article about Ivins and I saw “Greekchat!” It was a weird moment.
Prune Tacos was by far the Creepiest thread.

My favorite posts were from Sheet Cake, but the Chuck Norris thread was epic. Some of the funniest were about PNMs who had been dropped that showed up to bid day thinking they wouldn't be noticed.

I can't remember how I found GC but I joined in 2007 when GC was in it's heyday. That lasted about 5 years until a few trolls (one in particular) started to do internet searches on many members and threaten them. Judo chop!

I feel I have met some lifelong friends on GC. I was to meet up with OTW when I was in Hawaii but her daughter decided to send her into labor the day I arrived. Some members are still here, some drop in periodically like I and some, sadly, have passed (RIP AGDLynn and Tom Earp).

Last edited by Benzgirl; 08-19-2024 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As for favorite posters…I really liked als! She is a veteran, too. I hope she’s out living her best life.

Also, I’ve always enjoyed the sarcastic ones. The ones with the best comebacks to trolls…Knight Shadow comes to mind!
als is doing great in SC! She is a professor now and an advisor to the Phi Mu chapter at South Carolina.

As for me... I came here in 2002, was active, and have been on and off for the past decade. GC informed me about what the NPC sororities are and ultimately started me on my path to becoming a sorority woman.

ΑΧΩ
Old 08-20-2024, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I lurked a long while before first posting in 2018 or so. I posted to one of the evergreen threads in my sorority's section, then got yelled at immediately and unnecessarily by a mod for bumping an old topic. Really nice, warm welcome. Love the rush threads and the weird rush stories, primarily. The fake ones were some of my faves.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey yall! I just saw the anniversary email. After feeling old for a moment (because seriously....has it really been 25 years), I decided to join the reunion.

Hope everyone is doing well {{{hugs}}} Now where is the bar?
Old 08-20-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
Now where is the bar?
We have a few here in New Orleans
Old 08-20-2024, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm grateful to Carnation (a friend IRL since 1976) for introducing me to GreekChat. I especially enjoy stories of fraternity history and the many rush stories. I appreciate IrishPipes for maintaining the list of NPC chapters and recruitment dates and LaneSig for the charters/expansions/closures list.
Old 08-20-2024, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

^^^

I LOVE this thread!