GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,226
1 members and 1,225 guests
bbygrl01

Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Have I been out of the loop or has Drolefille been really really really cut throat this week? LOL.
I was running on about 4-5 hours a sleep a night until Wednesday night. I was gonna let this one slide until the 'explanation' made it clear it was intentional.

Also I'm a big fat meanie-head.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, it's just you look like more of a jerk when compared with sugary sweet online personalities, like mine.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Actually, it's just you look like more of a jerk when compared with sugary sweet online personalities, like mine.
o_0

Old 03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You:

Me:
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

GC is definitely the place to be when you're low on sleep and want a quick fuss. I'm actually a lot nicer when I'm low on sleep because I think "WWJD" before I talk and type. That's obviously relatively rare....

Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
GC is definitely the place to be when you're low on sleep and want a quick fuss. I'm actually a lot nicer when I'm low on sleep because I think "WWJD" before I talk and type. That's obviously relatively rare....

LOL. My clients figured out not to mess with me Wednesday, but I didn't post here then either since I know I went home and slept about 11 hours. Despite my evil ways, GC had about 36 hours without my corrupting presence. Or something.

I maintain if other people didn't post stupid shit, I wouldn't respond. I could be the better person, but we all know I'm not.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You:
How did you know the outfit I was wearing today?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How did you know the outfit I was wearing today?
Cause the cameras I had installed are HD, of course. Turn your head a bit to the left... now smile
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

If he's so serious about joining a fraternity, then he should transfer, and whatever other factors be damned. Whatever is most important to you is what matters most. And would never classify any greek org as anything remotely close to any other student org.

Everyone has a different greek experience, but for me that was much more meaningful and educating than anything I learned in any classroom. My undergraduate degree is barely worth the paper it's printed on, and wouldn't have mattered at all what school it came from. My greek experience changed my life and shaped most of what I believe in.

If it's key to this guy, then he should transfer. That is a much higher percentage than trying to start an off-campus chapter at a school that doesn't have a greek system or anything like that. Being a grad student makes this more complicated, and he should inquire first with the chapter in question. In saying that, I do mean quite a bit more than a phone call to see if it's possible. He should start a relationship with them & be basically assured of a bid before he pulls the trigger on transferring.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnall View Post
If he's so serious about joining a fraternity, then he should transfer, and whatever other factors be damned. Whatever is most important to you is what matters most. And would never classify any greek org as anything remotely close to any other student org.

Everyone has a different greek experience, but for me that was much more meaningful and educating than anything I learned in any classroom. My undergraduate degree is barely worth the paper it's printed on, and wouldn't have mattered at all what school it came from. My greek experience changed my life and shaped most of what I believe in.

If it's key to this guy, then he should transfer. That is a much higher percentage than trying to start an off-campus chapter at a school that doesn't have a greek system or anything like that. Being a grad student makes this more complicated, and he should inquire first with the chapter in question. In saying that, I do mean quite a bit more than a phone call to see if it's possible. He should start a relationship with them & be basically assured of a bid before he pulls the trigger on transferring.
Or, as mentioned earlier, he can make the best of his college experience at the school he's at.

There's no way in hell I'd give up a degree at, say, Rice and transfer to Sul Ross State University just because the former didn't have Greek Life. Let's be real.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Or, as mentioned earlier, he can make the best of his college experience at the school he's at.

There's no way in hell I'd give up a degree at, say, Rice and transfer to Sul Ross State University just because the former didn't have Greek Life. Let's be real.
This doesn't even get into having a chapter essentially promising a non-attending graduate student a bid. Outside of a setup for a movie, when does that happen? But no, it's important so he should totally do it!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This doesn't even get into having a chapter essentially promising a non-attending graduate student a bid. Outside of a setup for a movie, when does that happen? But no, it's important so he should totally do it!
Nor does it get into the fact that the one member of the fraternity he's interested who has posted in this thread has said it's his understanding that only undergraduates can join.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now I've got "Poor Unfortunate Souls" stuck in my head!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Now I've got "Poor Unfortunate Souls" stuck in my head!
If it helps that's the "Body Language" bit
Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't see a statement about only undergrads for any particular org. Obviously that's the norm. There's not a lot of grad students joining anywhere as far as I know. However, I was not under the impression he was interested in ONLY that org.

I really don't get how this guy got through an undergrad degree and some way into grad school before he figured out he wanted to be in a fraternity. It is probably too late at that point, but I can't tell someone not to pursue the things important to them when there is some possibility.

My fraternity was/is extremely important to me. Much more important than my degree. And in fact I've had more employment opportunities from my fraternity association than based on where my degree is from. But, I wouldn't necessarily say that's the norm, and the fact I have a fairly worthless history degree might have a little to do with that as well. But, my fraternity made me who I am. It shaped my beliefs and world view as much as my parents did, much more than any academic experience or training. I know that is not everyone's experience, but if someone wants that for themselves I can't tell them not to go for it. They have to decide for themselves if it's worth whatever the costs may be.

I probably wouldn't transfer from Rice to Sul Ross (didn't even know they had a Greek system) either. But, I would transfer from Rice to SMU, TCU, Tulane, LSU, A&M, or several other schools. I could find another school that's good for the degree I want to get and also has a Greek system I have some chance of getting in to. If I decided I wanted to do that, I would call a few of the chapters there to ask about the grad student thing, and I would then go visit them a bunch of times - effectively rushing. At some point in there both sides will be certain about giving or not giving a bid, and then I would go ahead and transfer.

I can't say that such a thing is going to work out or not. It is a lower probability for sure than if we were talking about a 19yo kid talking about starting his Soph year somewhere else. Yeah, the easy answer is too late and make the best of your current situation. But, I can't tell someone to just give up and deal with it. There is a way to get this done, and if this person wants it bad enough, I'm not going to tell them not to try.