GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,436
2 members and 1,434 guests
IllyPolly, navane

Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermeyer View Post
""Chi Psi's not in the Big 4 is it?"

No Chi Psi is not.

My pledge brother Gregory Marmalard recently visited UNC and checked thing out. The big 4 houses at UNC are Beta, Deke, Phi Delt and Phi Gam.

How is the "big 4" defined? Do the chapters within the big 4 ever change, or is it constant? What's the history behind that?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermeyer View Post
""Chi Psi's not in the Big 4 is it?"

No Chi Psi is not.

My pledge brother Gregory Marmalard recently visited UNC and checked thing out. The big 4 houses at UNC are Beta, Deke, Phi Delt and Phi Gam.
I knew Beta and Phi Gam were up there, but weren't sure of any of the others.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, I don't know any history or facts relating to the big 4 fraternities at UNC. However, I do know several alumni from Carolina. They all say Beta, Deke, Phi Delt and Phi Gam make up the big 4. Sorry I can't eloborate.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

The Big Four is DKE, PhiGam, PhiDelt and Beta.. however it really isn't the "Big Four" anymore; most consider Beta to have slipped a little bit. There is no movement into the Big Four. I won't mention which chapter I am an alumnus of so I won't appear to have a bias.

Having said that, from my understanding the Greek scene at UNC is thriving now more than at any point in the past twenty years. There are other fraternities outside of the Big Four, that I would have rushed today but did not consider ten years ago. I can point to a big turning point in UNC Greek life. After the PhiGam disaster of '96 the University forced all houses to have sprinkler systems installed by 2001. Installing the systems in 100 year old houses wasn't easy and so virtually every house was renovated. Many houses were shut down (not the fraternity but the house) for one to two years; many at the same time. From 2000 til about 2004 many houses were struggling, but not so today. Walking through the houses this year (I'm a few years removed but toured several houses) and meeting a lot of brothers I feel safe to say there are currently about 10 (~1/2 of the total) solid houses to consider. Again when I pledged/rushed I only considered two.

But, back on topic... I can think of several UNC fraternities that at one point initiated women. St. Anthony's hall of course is still pretty similar to the picture of the Brown fraternity; they are an outlier on the Greek scene. Also Lambda Chi at one point, I believe had female brothers; I don't know how good that chapter is now but their house is a beautiful carolina blue. Pi Lamb definitely had women (I saw a composite or two in their bathroom containing ladies); from what I've seen and heard they are a good chapter. I believe several of the "golf course" fraternities went this way too: ZBT, Delta Sig and PKP. I think these have all folded/maybe went local.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

For those asking about Chi Psi at UNC.. no it's not "Big Four", but it's a very respectable chapter. Beautiful house on the largest piece of property. From what I understand, Chi Psi is the largest private land owner in Chapel Hill (i.e. not the University). But, they do dress like the Wizard of Oz in the composites. It's just their tradition.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedzman View Post
It is certainly creative. And it is certainly original. Not taking away from creativity or originality. I also think it is entertaining. All that being said, this is not the kind of organization I would have wanted to be a part of when I was an undergraduate (to each his own) and I would be very disappointed in my chapter if they decided to go this route.

I'll also go on to say that I am eghast that this chapter decided to go co-ed. Makes me think they were perhaps struggling as an organization to have made a move like this. I can't imagine one of the top groups at any school deciding to go co-ed. What's the point? That's why you mix with sororites and pair with them for various events. Going co-ed completely changes the atmosphere and culture of a fraternal organization.
You claim to be so familiar with the operations of Greek organizations, yet you've never heard of the movement within some chapters and schools to go co-ed?? That's a pretty significant part of GLO history and still has a LOT to do with why Greek orgs aren't recognized on some campuses.

As far as the "Zete" chapter at Brown goes, I don't see why you'd be embarrassed to associate with them. Given that you've already stated that you judge Greek orgs based on GPA and leadership, I am willing to bet that 100% of their members had better records of GPA and leadership and overall achievement than did the members of your NIU Sigma Nu chapter.

I'm sorry, I'm not normally one to be like this, but you have really rubbed me the wrong way with your judgmental and contradictory comments on this boards. I'm AGHAST.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
All that being said, this is not the kind of organization I would have wanted to be a part of when I was an undergraduate
Funny, that's how I felt about NIU.
________
Web shows

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a very appropriate composite for the campus atmosphere. The school is right across the street from RI School of Design and the east side of Providence is well, eclectic to say the least. For them to take a picture in a shirt and tie would probably be the equivalent of a joke composite to most people. Most students wear alternative/crunchy/oatmeal type clothing on a regular basis. Nose rings, ear plugs and dreads are not uncommon either-no matter what your race.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a bit of an inside track on Chi Psi as my dad is a Carolina Chi Psi. My mother is a Carolina Alpha Delta Pi. Carolina Chi Psi is hands down the stronget Chi Psi chapter nationally.

Chi Psi is arguably, all around, one of the strongest fraternities at UNC. They may not be the most popular as viewed by other campus greeks, but they have tremendous alumni support in terms of both financial and support given. Multiple recent Rhodes Scholars, Phi Beta Kappas and student government presidents. Far, Far more than any other UNC chapter. Giant (approximately 6 acre) property with amazing huge house. Located on W Cameron a little bit away from the other houses on campus.

Beta is the second largest property on the UNC campus. Beautiful house as well. About 4.5 acres of land and located on S Columbia next to big fraternity court. Five houses are located in big fraternity court. The Beta's property is about 3/4 the size of all the land under big fraternity court. Beta has a party barn in the far back corner of their property.

Chi Psi and Beta are, by a fairly significant margin, the largest fraternity properties at Carolina. Some would argue Beta's property could be as valuable than Chi Psi's because it is located directly across the street from campus and is closer to Franklin street.

The remaining fraternity properties at UNC are also very, very nice. However, Chi Psi and Beta stand out way ahead of everyone else because of the sheer size of the land their houses sit on.

This opinion based on my recent visit to Chapel Hill. I walked and looked at every fraternity and sorority house on campus.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
Most students wear alternative/crunchy/oatmeal type clothing on a regular basis. Nose rings, ear plugs and dreads are not uncommon either-no matter what your race.
i know what alternative and i think i'm clear on the meaning of crunchy, but what is oatmeal clothing?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
This is a very appropriate composite for the campus atmosphere. The school is right across the street from RI School of Design and the east side of Providence is well, eclectic to say the least. For them to take a picture in a shirt and tie would probably be the equivalent of a joke composite to most people. Most students wear alternative/crunchy/oatmeal type clothing on a regular basis. Nose rings, ear plugs and dreads are not uncommon either-no matter what your race.

Uhhh, did you go to Brown? Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about a place you didn't attend.

Well, I did, and as a Greek from there, this group is definitely the extreme exception of kids at Brown and not the rule. This group, and one other co-ed, did their composites like this. The other ten fraternities and sororities--mine included--not so much. This group definitely stood out as a group of people who liked to have fun and not take themselves so damned seriously.

I think we all thought these were pretty funny.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 06-30-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
i know what alternative and i think i'm clear on the meaning of crunchy, but what is oatmeal clothing?
Maybe "granola" would be the appropriate cereal equivalent?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
well maybe, but i'm allergic to both of those things, so I won't be wearing any cereal clothes...
Old 06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Uhhh, did you go to Brown? Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about a place you didn't attend.

Well, I did, and as a Greek from there, this group is definitely the extreme exception of kids at Brown and not the rule. This group, and one other co-ed, did their composites like this. The other ten fraternities and sororities--mine included--not so much. This group definitely stood out as a group of people who liked to have fun and not take themselves so damned seriously.

I think we all thought these were pretty funny.
Attend, no...spend a lot of time there, granted not in current years, yes. I didn't mean for it to sound like the entire Greek community. I just meant for Brown, it didn't seem weird. You have to admit that it's an artsy area. That's what makes Brown unique.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Yup. They all mean the same thing, depending on where you live and the year it is.