GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,240
2 members and 1,238 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

I hope they can get it annulled instead of a divorce.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting married at 16 or so wasn't unheard a couple of generations ago. My Italian grandmother was 16 when she married my grandfather who was 25 at the time. These days, that sounds horrible. They were married for 52 years before she passed away. In this day and age, it definitely sounds squicky, especially to a 51 year old. (although truly, that man does NOT look 51). But yeah, the whole thing seems squicky to me. When I look at my 17 y/o daughter, I can't even imagine... <shudder>
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Getting married at 16 or so wasn't unheard a couple of generations ago. My Italian grandmother was 16 when she married my grandfather who was 25 at the time. These days, that sounds horrible. They were married for 52 years before she passed away. In this day and age, it definitely sounds squicky, especially to a 51 year old. (although truly, that man does NOT look 51). But yeah, the whole thing seems squicky to me. When I look at my 17 y/o daughter, I can't even imagine... <shudder>
Exactly.

When child marriage and child labor are discussed, people (not AGDee) bring up what happened generations ago. A lot of things happened generations ago. The question then becomes did we needlessly change our image of children (from just short adults to tiny tots who aren't mentally and physically equipped to do this stuff) or were and are we acknowledging the true differences between children and adults. Moreover, is a 16 yo capable of marriage as long as it is legal wherever she/he is and consensual? That's a moral question (regardless of what it's based on) if it isn't a legal question.

Maybe they were just darn good workers supporting their families. No.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Society has changed significantly since then. She was not educated.. in fact, she didn't speak English well, even though she immigrated when she was 3 years old. Extended families raised the children together to a large extent. When it wasn't real family, it was "cousins", who included anybody who came from the small town in Sicily that they were from. They married people from their own town in Sicily, even though they'd all been in the US for more than a decade. Life expectancy was also not what it is now. We can allow adolescence to be longer because we have more time to work with.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

There's nothing pubescent about that chick...she's full on WOOOOOOMAN. (At least physically, which is what counts mostly in all of the named disorders.)
Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
And, I hear Roma/Travellers referred to as "trailer trash" before, as well as members of various Native American nations (who, uh, don't have too much of a choice if they live on the reservation because the US really FUBARed that whole thing up), and I think it's completely ignorant of any cultural traditions/ramifications inherent in those types of communities.
I have never, ever, EVER heard "trailer trash" used to describe any of those people. If anything, the people I hear it used for are...ultimately...technically...WASPs!!

Bra straps showing are trashy. Period. I don't care where you live or what race you are. The end.

As far as 16 year olds getting married, let's discuss the Little House on the Prairie episode where Pa gave the okey-dokey to Mary getting engaged at 13 so she could get married at 16. Big hooters do not a mature woman make, Pa.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As far as 16 year olds getting married, let's discuss the Little House on the Prairie episode where Pa gave the okey-dokey to Mary getting engaged at 13 so she could get married at 16. Big hooters do not a mature woman make, Pa.
Oh 33girl, you made me lol so hard. But seriously. I seriously doubt that this girl could be 16. She looks at least 25. However, there is a certain female I know who has the same thing going on. At 18, she looked 30. It's sad, but it does happen, hence the term "butterface."
Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Then there was that mime that raped Sylvia ...

Little House was all kinds of messed up sometimes lol.
THE ORIGINAL TV SOAP DEATH OF SHANNEN DORHERTY!

For people my age, seeing that in re-runs was like finding out your favorite *NEW* song was actually a remake of a classic.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bra straps showing are trashy. Period. I don't care where you live or what race you are. The end.

I shall ignore how gendered this perspective is and just say that "trashy" is completely different from "trailer trash."

Quote:
I hate you. LOL.

That reminds me of how often high school boys look older than their age and are sometimes treated like men. These are still BOYS. Having a certain type of body and even a deep voice does not a mature man make.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't believe for one second that she is 16. But no matter her age she definitely needs to change her slogan from "All American Girl" to something else. All American Girls don't marry 51 year old actors at the age of 16. Just not done.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I don't believe for one second that she is 16. But no matter her age she definitely needs to change her slogan from "All American Girl" to something else. All American Girls don't marry 51 year old actors at the age of 16. Just not done.
The term is inherently meaningless anyway, why care?

And typically has meant "All WASP middle to upper class American Girl" anyway.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
The term is inherently meaningless anyway, why care?

And typically has meant "All WASP middle to upper class American Girl" anyway.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

For Munchkin03's amusement.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Based solely on this video:

They look and sound stupid. She looks and sounds like she's trying too hard.

FAIL for the both of them. FAIL.

http://www.vladtv.com/video/53917/51...year-old-wife/

@ being proud of not looking like a 16 year old. All that damn makeup and whatever else on your body will make you look older. She probably looks 16 without the weave, makeup, and grown woman's clothes.

She definitely sounds and acts 16--there is nothing grown woman about her words and her overall demeanor.

LOL. Did you see how she kept twirling her back around and giving the camera a "wannabe sexy" glare? This is definitely a publicity stunt for her. She looks dumb regardless.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Thank you, Dr. Spencer Reid.
I arrived a month late to this party. LOL. He is among my favorite characters.

<----Criminal Minds Groupie