GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,442
2 members and 1,440 guests
amsimone, Xidelt

Old 01-03-2002, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

VERA--oops, I am not in FL. I am in Atlanta but I lived in FL my whole life and I never really had to drive in snow there, yet I made it in this morning BEFORE any of my northern born co-workers. That was why I was mad! Sorry for the mistake!
Old 01-03-2002, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
No snow here in CT - but we had some snow a couple of weeks ago - first snow of the season, and it stuck! Very wet snow... but it melted the next day.

The trouble with snow in the south (south = below the Mason-Dixon line) is that no one knows how to drive in it - AlphaGam1019 is right on that one. A couple of winters ago I was down in Virginia on business, and a couple of inches of snow fell... *everything* shut down. Schools were closed, businesses were closed (except mine, of course ), I-66 was moving at 15mph, I'm on the highway and I'm thinking, come *on* people, it's a *flurry*... But if you're not used to driving in snow, it is best to be cautious.
Aephi alum,

OMG!!! You should have been here in Dallas right before Thanksgiving. I was born in Michigan so I'm use to driving on ice and snow. I swear these people here think that ice on the ground means go 65 miles an hour(and this is just on the surface streets not the highways) Even when it rains here and the ground is really slick from all the oil and whatnot, these people still DO NOT SLOW DOWN!!! Guess the traffic laws are differnet here in Texas then in other parts of the country
Old 01-03-2002, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Y'all, we haven't had this much snow in SC as long as I can remember, and the entire city has SHUT DOWN! I'm serious - banks (not that I'm complaining since I work at one over breaks), businesses, day cares, churches, stores, all just close! People can't drive, can't function! I'm glad to have the day off, don't get me wrong, and it's *gorgeous* outside, but our northern neighbors must be laughing at us. The governor just called in the National Guard for help! Too bad it wasn't a white Christmas, though!
Old 01-03-2002, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
man I want some snow.....NO FAIR!!!lol I think that me and Sarah need to get out there and do a little snow dance to make it snow here in TN!!

Nichole
Old 01-03-2002, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOPiLaLa
So, why is it that my "lived in FL my whole life and has no idea how to drive in snow" ass is in my office at 9am when the rest of my NORTHERN BORN fellow employee's are calling in left and right with excuses on why they can't make it in. I had to DIG my car out this morning, go down a lot of very scary hills, fishtail pulling into my office parking lot, AND take about an hour for a 20 minute drive, yet I am here. ARGH--I am SOOOOOOOOOO MAD right now. All is know is that I am LEAVING at 3:30 today, before the roads get icy and it starts to get dark. But I am still really mad!!!
While I understand your frustration, let me add in another point of view. I live in Atlanta and am at work right now. I am originally from Illinois so I have a lot of experience driving in snow, on ice, etc. However, I don't like to drive when it snows or is icy here in Atlanta because this city is not equipped like up north. First of all, from what I've heard there are only about 30 salt trucks here. I mean 30 ?!! And they don't get out to clear the roads nearly as quick as up north. Second, I feel like a lot of people here do not know how to drive in these conditions. I've seen people going 60mph on these roads that aren't salted or clear. I've seen tons of wrecks already involving 4 or more cars each and seen tons of people fishtailing. Matter of fact, a guy I work with here (from FL) said he drove 65mph into the office today. Why ?!! I honestly do not feel comfortable driving in these conditions here. Back home we drive in these conditions or worse for months on end every year without near as many wrecks as there has been last night and today.

Just a Northerner's point of view !!

Last edited by DST Love; 01-03-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up i beat the snow

i was coming back from a cruise in the western caribbean through atlanta sunday and just missed the snow. it was just wicked cold. it even tried to snow in el paso -- a rare attempt.
mmcat
Old 01-03-2002, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so jealous of all of your snow in the south. It poured rain here in Los Angeles last night but today it has warmed up to about 60 degrees (and I'm pretty close to the beach). By Sunday we are supposed to be back up in the 70's. It's nice having warm weather and all, but I'd give anything for a little snow!
Old 01-03-2002, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Here is a GC Thread that is insane, inane, and nuts!

I had a room mate in my first College who was from Panama and it snowed like crazy in N W Mo. We lived in the Basement of the Dorm and this moron goes out in his Boxers to romp in the snow!

well he got pemoniua!

I live In Kansas and We Have had NO Snow so I cannot use my snow blower. Damn I am Sad Reason I got the blower was so I could get out of my driveway!

Feel grateful you dont have snow!!!!!! I damn sure do not want to shuffle off to Buffalo

You can always go on a vacation and see snow!

I remember when a bunch of us Shi Patrollers left KC to go skiing in Colo. We all wore shorts and froze our thingys off He and Shes combined! What a hoot in a baby blue reconverted school bus!

well it ended up that all of us ended up with injurys and when we go back to KC it was shorts time again!

Greatest dream, after meeting Rhys Morgan in England was living in New Zeland like he did!

Lived on the beach and drove two Hrs to the Mountains to ski! Go I thought that had to be the place in the world to live!

Shovelling sucks!!!!! Warm is wonderful! Go Visit Winter Wonder Land , Dont live there!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-04-2002, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

We got 7 inches of snow here the night before last. I'm still working at the college over winter break since I live so close, but they closed yesterday. They opened on time today. So I went outside this morning at 7:30 to unbury my car, which took me 15 minutes. Then when I tried to put it in reverse so I could get out of my driveway, all I did was burn rubber. My mom ended up having to take me to work (she has the week off). I like snow and all, but not when I have to be somewhere and I don't have 4-wheel drive

Of course, I know all of you who are used to getting much more snow than this probably laugh at us in the south when we panic over a few inches...
Old 01-04-2002, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Snow days!

Our office was closed yesterday due to the snow, so I got to curl up in front of the fire all day and watch DVDs with my boyfriend. We got about 5 inches in our part of Atlanta.

I went outside to clear the snow off of my bf's bird feeder. When I filled it up with fresh birdseed, we had a field day watching all the birds fly in. We had red-headed woodpeckers, cardinals, bluejays, wrens, etc. all fighting for a spot on the feeder. Poor birds! They were so confused. They probably thought they'd flown far enough south for the winter until this week!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It snowed here. It didn't stick, which is fine with me because I don't even trust Florida drivers when it's warm out! Plus, I am home for VACATION. If I wanted to shovel snow, I'd have stayed in Rhode Island.

All in all, I'm glad it snowed, because I wanted my niece (who's 6) to be able to see it.