Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,441
2 members and 1,439 guests
Cookiez17, navane

Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry...I don't have any pics of the outfit. I decided to go with pants and a sweater. I just couldn't find a dress that I felt right in. The white dresses I found all seemed too summery or too "prom-y." I know everybody said it doesn't really matter, but I want to feel fantastic on my big night, so I went with a slim fitting cable sweater with a small v-neck, white slacks, and round-toed shoes with a pretty detail on the side and a slim heel. I'm wearing my wedding day pearls (necklace, bracelet, earrings) and a pearl ring that my husband bought when we were dating.

I also had to pick an outfit for Saturday since District Days is a two day event. So tomorrow, I'm wearing dressy tan slacks, a black sweater with a deep V (but not too deep), and black pumps that I love. They have a moderate heel with a round toe and a cute botton on the side. Of course, the most important part of the outfit will be my ASA badge

Be a Volunteer!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

And they're all really excited for you
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I am so excited for you! I know it's going to be amazing!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
have a great time tonight!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm leaving work right now! My hubby is taking me out for a celebration dinner, and then I'm off to my initiation.

The butterflies are going so fast that I don't think I can eat a bite!

Be a Volunteer!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Louisa May - I hope your day was wonderful and memorable. Congratulations to you and your new sisters in Alpha Sigma Alpha.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
I'm leaving work right now! My hubby is taking me out for a celebration dinner, and then I'm off to my initiation.

The butterflies are going so fast that I don't think I can eat a bite!
OMG! I'm so excited for you!

This is silly, but when I read that you were going out to dinner, the first thing I thought was, "Don't spill anything on your initiation outfit!"
Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, LouisaMay! I am *so* pleased for you! I hope this is the start of a wonderful new journey!

Your Panhellenic Sister,

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

At last!!

I still can't quite believe it! The weekend was so much fun. I met so many wonderful women, and I kept thinking, "these are my sister!"

I arrived at the hotel in the middle of the registration period, so I had time to chat with the members of my alumnae chapters (I'm joining two.). I also got to watch lots of collegians arriving, and that was fun. The weather was terrible, but our girls were troopers!

At 7:00, I was ushered to a hotel room so that arrangements could be made for the ritual. I waited! And waited! Finally, around 8:00, I got to experience the beautiful initiation ceremony. It was lovely. All I'll say is that I will never forget the feeling of having over 100 women watching me take the steps that they took, saying the words that they said as they made their vows to Alpha Sigma Alpha. I was also so pleased and touched by the amazing ways that some of the details of the ritual matched my personal beliefs. AFter it was over, one of the alumna who participated in my ritual said that she could feel my nervous energy, and it was "so refreshing!"

Afterward, we changed out of our ritual attire and into "sorority gear." It was so fun to see all the different lettered shirts! My sponsor allowed me to wear her ASA sweatshirt, so I proudly wore "letters" for the first time. As a welcome gift, she gave me a windbreaker, a scrapbook, and Greek stickers. The evening was so fun! I was a judge for the chapter display contest, along with a national council member and an alumna visitor from District 2 (we're District 3). I really enjoyed my job! Then there was a silent auction with funds going to the Alpha Sigma Alpha Foundation and the S. June Smith Center, one of our national philanthropies. Here's the best part! I won two ASA event t-shirts and a Bath & Body Works bath gel. Yay!!!! To close the evening, my alumnae chapter presented me with my very own letter shirt, an ASA history book, ladybug chocolates, and an ASA button pin. The shirt is so cute. It's a black t-shirt, and the letters are sparkly red with sparkly silver around the edges. I didn't get home until 11:30pm, and I was so tired.

The next morning was very early! Breakfast was at 7:30am. The rest of the day was filled with educational sessions and the annual District meeting. I went to "Scrapbooking," "Volunteering for ASA," and "Alumnae Chapter Roundtable." All three were informative and fun. I got to meet terrific alums and collegians. Since I'm usually quite shy, I had to really stretch my "comfort zone," but the effort was SO worth it. Every person I spoke with was warm, welcoming, and friendly. I had to tell my AI story several times, and everyone responded positively. In fact, one collegian was so excited about the possibility of initiating her mom! Her mom volunteers extensively for the chapter. A perfect AI candidate! Until the girl met me, she didn't know that AI existed. I can't wait to hear if her mom becomes an ASA

So I guess this is the end of my AI story. But it is the beginning of my life as an Alpha Sigma Alpha. I'm already working on my first assignment for the sorority magazine, and I am getting information about the Education Coaching Team. It is a District volunteer position, so I will be able to meet collegians from several states. Because the team is focused on issues of academics and new member education, my lack of sorority experience will not be a problem. My experience in Higher Education will help me to help my sisters.

Thank you, all, for your support, your interest, and your respect. I have really enjoyed sharing my story with you.

Be a Volunteer!

Last edited by LouisaMay; 02-06-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you had an amazing and wonderful time. I am so happy for you. Congrats again!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
OMG! I'm so excited for you!

This is silly, but when I read that you were going out to dinner, the first thing I thought was, "Don't spill anything on your initiation outfit!"
I had the same thought! Don't worry...I changed at the hotel

Be a Volunteer!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
I had the same thought! Don't worry...I changed at the hotel
Right, no ruby-red catsuits at dinner.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

LM--
Congratulations on finally becoming an initiated sister of ASA! Reading your story reminded me a little of my own....the nerves, the first time attending a sorority event after initiation etc. I am glad to see that you are getting so involved, as well. I did the same thing and my involvement has given my a "DPhiE experience" even through I did not have it as an undergraduate.

I bet it feels good to finally be home.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Congrats LM...yeah you brought back memories