GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,613
1 members and 1,612 guests
MSKKG

Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Will it matter what temp the bulbs are at in the pots? I more or less live in the desert, so the ave temp is about 80 here with little to no humidity.
Should I keep the pots in the garage?

After last fall's wildfires, we are having the best spring, as many of the native plants have to burn to germinate. the golden poppies are blooming everywhere right now. some of the hillsides look like the yellow brick road!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

WOOOO! The bluebonnet is blooming! We are GOLD!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My fiance and I just bought a house and while the front has good curb appeal (aside from the bark like mulch), the back is a disaster area.

There's random 1980s stepping stones, a raised bed in the middle of the backyard complete with the smelly trees that topple over. Ugh, I think if nothing else all I want to do this summer is get a clean slate and rid of the flower bed. And hopefully some grass growing.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I'm not sure what thrives up there but 2 less destructive choices might be the evergreen honeysuckles or the wintercreeper euonymus (lots of new cultivars).
is everygreen honeysuckle considered an invasive plant? We recieved a letter recently that outlined all kinds of invasive plants that the DNR would like to see eliminated in Indiana and honeysuckle was listed.

Oh, and Target had these little herb pots in the $1 section, so the two older boys picked out chives and oregano and it was our family night project. The pots are now painted and the seeds planted and sitting in the kitchen window. Now we'll just have to see if they sprout! I am also starting marigolds from seeds this year (I collected the seeds last fall). I probably won't plant anything outside until late April/early May.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 04-04-2008, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I have bulbs blooming now that I planted in the fall - hyacinths have come and gone, the tulips are in bloom, and the irises are soon to arrive. I also have some hydrangeas and a crepe myrtle that will start blooming in summer.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Today husband and I started our major planting----flowering pear tree (bears no fruit), barlett pear tree, nectarine tree, some kind of dwarf peach tree, yellow delicious apple tree, and a red maple. Husband wants to get two more trees next week he's undecided what kind But I'm hoping for a red delicious apple and a weeping cherry.

Only three of our four grapes it's looking like made it through the last frost last week (better than losing them all like last year). We also planted tomatoes, yellow squash, zuccini, beans, 4 varieties of lettuce, beans, sunflowers, scallions, rosemary, dill, coriander, and parsley today. Hopefullym we can work on flowers next weekend.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am growing string beans, baby spinach, and possibly some tomatoes (we live in a rural area). We are actually lucky because there are wild raspberries near our pond...I guess I will have plenty to do this summer

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatingblue View Post
I am growing string beans, baby spinach, and possibly some tomatoes (we live in a rural area). We are actually lucky because there are wild raspberries near our pond...I guess I will have plenty to do this summer
We waited too late to plant raspberries and blueberries but they are on my agenda for next season
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in an apartment.... and I do not have green thumb... so even if I had space for a garden I'd surely kill everything accidently in a couple of weeks.

If you have pics of your pretty garden I'd love to see!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

ThetaPrincess, you can plant blueberries and raspberries year round if they're in pots!

ForeverRoses, the evergreen honeysuckle I'm talking about isn't invasive. It has red flowers as opposed to the yello and white type.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:12 PM

This morning, I went out to the nursery.

Two hundred and forty-five dollars later, I am now the proud owner of two rhododendrons (one is flowering now, the other one will flower in late May), a barberry, some interesting-looking grasses, an evergreen ground cover that I forget the name of, a pieris, a columbine, some impatiens, some verbena, and some small plants with little white flowers (I have no idea what they're called).

I've got the perennials and some of the impatiens in the ground, and the verbena in window boxes on the deck (where they'll get loads of sun).

When my back stops protesting, I'll get everything else planted and hit them with the deer spray.