GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,359
2 members and 1,357 guests
3DGator, flirt5721

Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Why was Root Beer not even under consideration?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzieAlum View Post
Why was Root Beer not even under consideration?
Everything that I saw of them while I was pledging Sprite I didn't like at all, plus I knew they would never take someone like me.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post

I knew for a fact that Root Beer was out. I wouldn't even consider them.

Just out of curiosity - was Root Beer another of the locals?

(You don't have to share if it will spoil the rest of the details that you're planning to reveal. I was just curious whether your bad experience in one local made you uneasy about another.)
Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan314 View Post
Just out of curiosity - was Root Beer another of the locals?

(You don't have to share if it will spoil the rest of the details that you're planning to reveal. I was just curious whether your bad experience in one local made you uneasy about another.)
While I won't answer that (at least, not yet, not sure if I will tell in the end) I will say this: there were only 3 NPC groups and still 4 that I looked at, so there was at least one local that I was still looking at.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
As to why girls were dropping so quickly...it's a little word that we all love to hate....h******. I'm sure you can all figure it out
Yeah, there is a local around here that does that... They are not affiliated with the university which is how they get away with it.

I'll never understand it...but, okay.

And, I'm gonna root for DR. PEPPER!!!!! Well, basically because it's my favorite soft drink.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
I'm going to root for Dr. Pepper also!! This is fun

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I briefly thought about it, I knew Sprite wasn't for me, and I had to look elsewhere.

I found the website for Cream, and the president told me that they started there winter class (they had a group of girls that they met that wanted to pledge at the end of the fall semester so they did a class at the start of the spring semester that they called their winter class) she would be more then happy to meet me with me if I was willing to wait for the Spring class to start. I met a few of them for lunch on campus one day, and while they were nice girls, I didn't click with them at all.

So this leaves it down to three:
Coke
Dr. Pepper
Sunkist

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
. They are not affiliated with the university which is how they get away with it.
Sadly, the school that I'm talking about doesn't regulated Greek Life enough to care about it so it happens quite often. Everyone knows about it and knows why Sprite pledges avoid certain areas on campus, what it means when Root Beer's pledges are wearing certain things, etc.

Patriae Multae Spes Una

Last edited by Buttonz; 06-21-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sadly, the school that I'm talking about doesn't regulated Greek Life enough to care about it so it happens quite often. Everyone knows about it and knows why Sprite pledges avoid certain areas on campus, what it means when Rot Beer's pledges are wearing certain things, etc.
So I'm guessing this means that Root Beer is another local.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Rot Beer's pledges
Typo or Freudian slip?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRose View Post
Typo or Freudian slip?
Maybe a little bit of both

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I started to talk to the President of Coke.

She was nice and invited me to a COB event that they were having that night (or was it the next night)? It was right down the street from where I worked so I was able to leave work and go straight there. There were about 8-9 sisters and one or two other PNM's. It was very relaxed and stuff and I had a good time, and I connected with one of the other PNM's.

Coke was having a party that weekend so we were invited. The PMN that I connected with, let's call her Jane, picked me up and we went. We both had a good time and left happy. We were told we would find out by the end of the week if we received a bid or not.

I had a feeling that I might be receiving one, I knew if I did get one I would take it. I got a call (the same night that Bush declared war on Iraq in fact) while I was watching the stuff with Bush and studying for my Poli Sci midterm (I'm shocked that I remember that!) telling me that Coke was not extending a bid to me. I was shocked, and called Jane who told me she just received a bid to Coke and she was accepting it. She was shocked as well that I didn't get one.

I remember hanging up the phone and being "Huh? What did I do wrong? Should I look at Sunkist & Dr. Pepper still, or just give up?"

I spoke to Jane several times throughout the rest of the week (she and I remained semi close through everything, she originally pledged and dropped Cream for the same reason I dropped Sprite) and she told me that I shouldn't give up....but I was still unsure.

Patriae Multae Spes Una

Last edited by Buttonz; 09-08-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

"Huh? What did I do wrong? Should I look at Cream & Dr. Pepper still, or just give up?"

Aww, But then haven't we all thought the same thing? The disappointments in these retro threads are so much easier to take than the current ones. We know you end up happy.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

As stated, I wasn't sure if I should look at Sunkist or Dr. Pepper or just give up. After a few days of calming down, and a few more of really thinking about it, I decided that it couldn't hurt and I would always regret not trying.

I found the website for Sunkist and I talked to one of the sisters over AIM that night, and when she had to get off the computer, she asked if she could call me. Well, I hate talking on the phone, but I said yes. We wound up on the phone for over and a hour and a half, and made plans to meet up the next day on campus to talk more.

Patriae Multae Spes Una

Last edited by Buttonz; 09-08-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope it works out!