GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,620
1 members and 1,619 guests
MSKKG

Old 07-19-2000, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

oooo did anybody ever make those friendship bracelets? We used to floss those big time this way.
Old 07-19-2000, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

oh the wonderful, iniocent days of our youths...how about this:

*skidz
*pegged pants
*jeans that had the criss crosses down the sides with the ZIPPERS and BOWS at the bottom...acid wash, of course.
*banana clips
*two words: AQUA NET!
*BK dymacels
*starter jackets (like we ALL loved football...)
*hypercolor shirts (you know, the ones that changed color with your "mood")
*can't forget the pump sneakers!
*bicycle pants UNDER skirts...

oh my lord....

etienne

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats
Old 07-19-2000, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I forgot about the LA Gear shoes that had red lights in the soles.
Yuck.
HumbleBumbleBee
Old 07-19-2000, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Someone mentioned lollipops. Remember the blowpops in the ponytail?

Remember the china doll haircut? I used to have my hair shoulder length on one side while the other is cut up to my ear. That was the bomb.

Remember when the "wrap" hairstyle first came out? I remember telling my friend "What? You don't have to roll it?"
Old 07-19-2000, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Remember coming to school and you go to the bathroom and all the girls are in the mirror applying the makeup their parents won't allow them to wear?

What about the "gumby" haircuts on guys? I hope that NEVER resurfaces!

Does anyone remember UTFO? I know I'm not THAT old!
Old 07-19-2000, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Ugh....out with late 70s/early 80s fashions!! But keep the music.
Old 07-19-2000, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh no you guys did not go there with the Black Bart Simpson t-shirts! ACID WASH??? LOTTO SNEAKERS??? Yall some sick people!! I had forgotten all about those things! O.k. now...we need to get this out of the way....Stop frontin....Who had a jerri curl? Unfortunately, I had one. What the hell was going through our minds back then?!? I used to walk around with a mini bottle of S-curl activator. Did someone mention Kangols? believe it or not brothers are trying to bring them back here in New York. The word wack is also making a come back.
Old 07-19-2000, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry Sexy Mocha but the bomber jackets weren't the bomb here. Yeah I remember the store with all the cheap stuff, it was called the Compton Swapmeet

What about the candy house. Everyone had a house on their block that sold ALL the bomb candy you couldn't find at the store. Like sour pickles, not dill, but sour. Hell, pickled eggs, fire jolly ranchers, the little bag of sunflower seeds (cuz no one NEEDS like 500 sunflower seeds). Blue acrylic fingernails. Fluorescent socks and accessories a la Madonna. Creepers, tapered Dickies and turtlenecks (people from LA remember dance groups sporting these like, KODs, SexJerks, etc. 1986-89...damn I'm old). The rap music WAS the bomb, what I wouldn't do to hear some Dougie Fresh and Slick Rick/ Real Roxanne, Roxanne Shante/ MC Lyte/ LL Cool Jay before he became TOO sexy / Biz Markie/

I KNOW y'all remember Ready for the World (we called them ready for the Curl)/ Force MDs/ Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam with Full Force/

Cabbage PAtch/Robocop/Smurf/PeeWee HErman/ The Guess/ The Prep (a la Janet Jackson in her 80's videos...I can't remember which one).

Yeah, Michael Jackson was FINE and no one cared he had a curl...those were the days

[This message has been edited by DELTABRAT (edited July 19, 2000).]
Old 07-19-2000, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Mocha, down here too. I saw a brother with suede "Kangol" shoes on...
Old 07-19-2000, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sexy Mocha,

We going there with Jheri Curls? What about the hair pick with the handle that was a spray bottle where Jheri Curl wearers put their activator?

Aw man, the Compton Swapmeet? That's where I would go to buy my Jordana fuscia lipstick and blue eyeliner in junior high school.

Does anyone remember karate shoes? What about Atari 2600...the pinball game, pitfall?
Old 07-19-2000, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember the different colored "alligator" belts with the reversible buckles?
Old 07-19-2000, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Why ya'll gotta play like that

You know I had a jerry curl and then I had the key earing that Janet had.

L.A. gears with the two different color laces.

combat boots (jodeci boots)

The socks (three different colors /different order on both sides....lol)

And you know it was hard as heck to grow out those hairstyles...one side of my hair still grows longer than the other.

Now lets go way back...remeber on them winter days when you had four sweaters (one of which you swore was really a boys sweater) the snow suit and two pairs of socks on just to go outside and play.

And Micheal Jackson......remember when it useto be like a movie premier when his videos came out. Thriller was like a family event..everyone had they popcorn and stuff sitting around the TV
Old 07-20-2000, 12:35 AM
TrueGreekLove

speaking of lisa lisa my favorite song was "all cried out" now that was the jam!

remember crush groove, and break dancing...i used to be in love with that break dancer named shabba doo...

remember l l cool j's "i need love" "When I'm alone in my room, sometimes i stare at the wall and in the back of my mind i hear my conscience call...."

remember 10 cent sunflower seeds, penny gums called big ball...ring candies that you wore as jewelry before giving in and eating them....

oh god! remember "bo-bo's bo-bo's make your feet feel fine..bo-bo's bo-bo's cost a dollar ninety nine!"
Old 07-20-2000, 12:42 AM
dpherlove

Question

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE PURPLE SHIRTS THAT SAID RIPE (IN FLORESCENT COLORS) ACCROSS THE FRONT AND ACCROSS THE BUTT. mAYBE IT WAS A BRONX THING. THANKS!
Old 07-20-2000, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Man, this is kewl. I used to own a Ewing shoes (hey, I'm a die hard Knicks fan). Those things were the heaviest shoes I have ever worn. I have no idea how I played basketball with them. Although the Cartoons were better back then. GI Joe, He-Man, Transformer, Go-Bats (I know, they were Transformer imitation). What about Atari and Nintendo with that Robots. Geez, I'm going to find my toys and play with 'em.

------------------
I think it's time to find us a new religion
-Jamiriqua