GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,690
1 members and 1,689 guests
John

Old 03-17-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
Then angels are extremely oogly. Yeah, I said it. I'm a big dog kinda girl myself.
I'm right there with you -- most little dogs are ugly and high-strung.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto, my first dog was a golden/shepard mix, the current one is a doberman/greyhound(uncertain) mix. Big doggies are the best. And MUTTS are the best. Adopt one from a shelter rather than risk contributing to irresponsible breeding. You'll save a lot of money and are more likely to end up with a healthier, more well balanced pup.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool English Bulldogs

I had Nigel, my English Bulldog, for 9 years. I've also been working with English Bulldog rescue for 10 years. (Nigel was not a rescue.)

EBs are great dogs for apt living, but they slobber EVERYwhere. And once it's dried, you have to scrub it off; it doesn't just wipe off. Though they are short-haired, they shed too. Some bullies are high-strung as well - it just depends on the dog.

EB puppies cost at least $1000 - if you find one for less, there's something wrong with it. (High cost is partly because many are conceived through artifical insemination & borne by caesarian section.) Rescue dogs are less expensive, but you have to deal with dogs who have "baggage," if you KWIM.

BTW, in our EB rescue, many of the bullies are surrendered because the owners don't like the upkeep that's required for EBs - it's a lot of work to keep them clean. (Of course there are the other typical reasons why people give up dogs: they move into a place that doesn't allow dogs or they're going to have a baby & don't want the dog anymore... dog ownership is a lifetime commitment! )

If you want more info, PM me.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot that a ton of people wouldn't know that reference. Ooops! I'm allergic to dogs and cats, so this discussion is purely academic for me.

My nephew, who's 6, wants a Boston Terrier. I don't know why, since none of his friends have them. He probably saw a picture of it and thought it was a cute dog.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
English Bulldogs

Go with an English Bulldog-- they are the BEST ever. They are low key, not yippeee and look like manly dogs.
Read KDOnline's post-- she is dead on with what she is telling you. Ebulldogs can be pricey but worth every penny.
I had Peaches, my English Bulldog, for 10 years. I couldn't have asked for a better dog.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The problem with English Bulldogs is they have a tendency to get big, too big for the landlord. And whoever suggested I get a Great Dane....Lol, Give me a break! The reason why I'm looking at getting a small dog is because my community doesnt allow any dogs over 40lbs, which Great Danes and even Bulldogs can bust that easily. I do want a bulldog, thats why I was really looking at the Frenchie, because full grown males seem to only get between 35-40 lbs. And yeah, i've noticed that finding one under 1800 dollars ( I was quoted $4500 for one) is on the same level of finding the holy grail...but I feel that he or she would def be worth every penny. I have yet to find any close breeders for the French Bulldogs, most of them being in Texas or GA, or somewhere else not close to me. I know that they offer shipping, but I want to be able to physically meet the dog before I buy, which means I may likely just go with the Boston Terrier, which are a lot easier to find local.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
The problem with English Bulldogs is they have a tendency to get big, too big for the landlord. And whoever suggested I get a Great Dane....Lol, Give me a break! The reason why I'm looking at getting a small dog is because my community doesnt allow any dogs over 40lbs, which Great Danes and even Bulldogs can bust that easily. I do want a bulldog, thats why I was really looking at the Frenchie, because full grown males seem to only get between 35-40 lbs. And yeah, i've noticed that finding one under 1800 dollars ( I was quoted $4500 for one) is on the same level of finding the holy grail...but I feel that he or she would def be worth every penny. I have yet to find any close breeders for the French Bulldogs, most of them being in Texas or GA, or somewhere else not close to me. I know that they offer shipping, but I want to be able to physically meet the dog before I buy, which means I may likely just go with the Boston Terrier, which are a lot easier to find local.
No one suggested a great dane. I said I wanted a great dane eventually.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 03-17-2007, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Ditto, my first dog was a golden/shepard mix, the current one is a doberman/greyhound(uncertain) mix. Big doggies are the best. And MUTTS are the best. Adopt one from a shelter rather than risk contributing to irresponsible breeding. You'll save a lot of money and are more likely to end up with a healthier, more well balanced pup.
Mutts really are the best dogs. However, you can't be too sure of size they'll hit when they're fully grown. I remember my parents bringing home a tiny little fur ball that the shelter staff said wouldn't get more than 40 pounds. Said furball hit 150 pounds and was the size of a blackbear (sounded like one too).

Have you maybe looked at a dachshun?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
Mutts really are the best dogs. However, you can't be too sure of size they'll hit when they're fully grown. I remember my parents bringing home a tiny little fur ball that the shelter staff said wouldn't get more than 40 pounds. Said furball hit 150 pounds and was the size of a blackbear (sounded like one too).

Have you maybe looked at a dachshun?
Quite true, my first dog was supposed to be a medium dog, shepherd/chow mix. They thought he was chow because of his curled tail stupid shelter. But he was a very happy shepherd/lab (I mistyped when I said golden) 100 pound doggie until he died of an autoimmune disease when he was four

New doggie was rescued all grown up. (Already housetrained!) You can get a small mix breed, usually you can tell about what they'll be. My first dog was larger when we got him as a puppy than most toy/small breeds are full grown.

And dachsund is a good idea, they can be sweeties
Old 03-18-2007, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Quite true, my first dog was supposed to be a medium dog, shepherd/chow mix. They thought he was chow because of his curled tail stupid shelter. But he was a very happy shepherd/lab (I mistyped when I said golden) 100 pound doggie until he died of an autoimmune disease when he was four

New doggie was rescued all grown up. (Already housetrained!) You can get a small mix breed, usually you can tell about what they'll be. My first dog was larger when we got him as a puppy than most toy/small breeds are full grown.

And dachsund is a good idea, they can be sweeties
I think we may have had a similar mixed breed! My dog was a retriever/shepherd/chow mix! He didn't have the curly tail but the strange colored tongue and the fur.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

If you live in an apartment, besides size, you need to be considered about noise and your neighbors. Your neighbors will hate you and probably make noise complaints against you if you get a dog that barks constantly (this is why I really really dislike daschunds, nearly every one of them that I have ever met never shuts the hell up).

Again another plug for a pug. They do shed a lot, so that's one semi-negative. But they're relatively small, don't require a ton of space, don't really bark much (my brother's pug doesn't bark AT ALL. He'll growl and yip slightly if you're playing with him, but he does not bark). They're friendly, great with visitors, etc.

I'm looking to maybe get a pug after I get moved into my new townhouse.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think we may have had a similar mixed breed! My dog was a retriever/shepherd/chow mix! He didn't have the curly tail but the strange colored tongue and the fur.
Aw yay! I'm 99% sure our dog wasn't actually a chow as he lacked any black on his tongue and got too big, but aren't they all adorable. I love my puppies (they're all puppies no matter how old they get)
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a Boston Terrier, Havana, and will never have any other kind of dog. To me they are great. They are NOT overly hyper or mean like others have said. They are sweet and loving and tough and fun at the same time. My husband didnt want a wussy dog either and we both could not be happier with a boston.

Bostons like any other dogs require you research a good breeder and match yourself with a pup that will meet your needs. If you crate train your Boston, he or she will be your best friend. We have a girl and she was potty trained in 4 months. She is active and loves to go to the dog park but does not require daily exersise.

I work with several rescue groups and have a tons of BT resources if you would like. Just PM me!

p.s. My best friend (and zta sister) has 2 pugs and they are great dogs BUT they SHED like CRAZY. She always has "tumbleweeds" of pug hair in her house!

"the foundation precept of Zeta Tau Alpha was love, the greatest of all things." -ZTA creed
Old 03-18-2007, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Mutts really are the best dogs. However, you can't be too sure of size they'll hit when they're fully grown.
True, but you can always adopt an adult mutt. Puppies are cute, but they're also a pain.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I confess I mentioned Great Danes. I did admit that it wouldn't work if you have a size limit for the apartment, as you clearly do.

Have you considered adopting an adult rescue dog or a mutt from the animal shelter? Unless you plan to breed or show your dog, it might actually be better than a puppy from a breeder. You might be able to get a full breed or close to full breed and you'd know exactly how big it will get and likely it will already be housebroken (not to mention that it won't cost thousands of dollars).

There are Boston Terrier rescue groups. You might be able to find a French Bulldog that way too.