Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,454
0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul
This has been my experience. Many people I graduated with took the CC option, and for one reason or another, never made the jump to 4 year degrees. Not to say that they aren't successful, my best friend is making scads of money as a medical technician, but their intention to get a 4 yr degree was never realized.
We need to just face the face that not everyone is "college material", and make the best of either CC, or trade school. If he goes to CC, and graduates, but never moves on to a 4-year, he'll still be better off with an Associate's in anything then he would with no "higher education".
Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
We need to just face the face that not everyone is "college material", and make the best of either CC, or trade school. If he goes to CC, and graduates, but never moves on to a 4-year, he'll still be better off with an Associate's in anything then he would with no "higher education".
I second this.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you everyone who responded and made suggestions.

After some rough patches this year, I am glad to say the young man graduated from high school last week. YAY!!!!!

Although he has friends (including a very pretty girlfriend) going away to all types of 4-year schools... he didn't have the motivation to pursue any of the leads provided. I also called the mother to the carpet because she didn't push him to follow through with anything, she was more concerned about filling out applications FOR him to schools she thought he might be interested in. Not like, any of the fifty-leven accredited colleges & universities we have in our metropolitan region. Schools that advertise on TV in the middle of the night.

They never filled out the FAFSA, he did not take SATs, he did not apply for any scholarships, so... he has enrolled in a local for-profit college that "offers career-focused education in high-demand fields." He'll be staying at home and his parents have taken out a 2nd mortgage to pay for this school. His tuition is MUCH more expensive than the community college and even a little higher than in-state tuition at the local 4-year schools (many of which are highly ranked but kinda lax on admission for in-state students).

I know everyone's path is not the same, but I feel an obligation to share with her family the notion that ya kinda have to follow a plan to get to your goals. I'll still offer to take the younger kids (16 and twin 13 y/o) to college fairs and sit down and talk about goal planning and whatever, but from this I learned to fall back, play my position and be quiet.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You're a really nice person to talk to her and her kids, but at the end of the day, the kid has to want it to make it happen. I wouldn't get too overinvolved-- at the most, take the younger kids to lunch and get them excited about thinking about their futures and what they want to be when they grow up and how they can get there (don't do drugs, listen to your parents, good grades in HS, SAT, apply to college, do well, internships, etc.)
Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

You're a special person for taking this on. It sounds like the kid's parents really cared but were too bullheaded and ignorant to be of any real help to their son.

Despite his poor choice, I can't help but believe that you were a positive influence on this kid.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma