Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,179
4 members and 1,175 guests
John, LaneSig, Phrozen Sands, PrettyBoy

Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. I got curious. There are now 210 TV markets (DMA's = Designated Market Areas).

First and last are still the same.

Here's a link to a list if you're interested:

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

There have been some pretty notable changes. When I worked there, Detroit was number 5 and dropped to 7. Cleveland was in the top 10 (number 8 I think). Miami was much higher, but Houston, Dallas and Atlanta were in the top 15-20. That pretty clearly shows the migration away from the traditional "rust belt."

The top 4 markets have stayed the same for as long as I can remember.

An interesting statistic from years ago, which I doubt is true anymore, is that there were more people in the Philly TV market than the entire Mountain Time Zone. I suspect, with the growth in the West, that has changed. Denver has moved from market 33 when I first visited here to number 18 now.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 08-16-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

It's funny how they move the markets around-- consolidate them, then create new markets. I can't keep up!

Anyway... best wishes in your new job!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum
I know many Army officers' wives in the same situation. Quite a few of us went back to school to get certified, get a MA/MS in our subject area so we could teach at the cc level, took the lowest GS level position just to get in the system, etc. Others opted to start their families in their early/mid 20s vs waiting until 30.
:::yawn:::

Alum, there are plenty of NCO wives who have degrees and want careers too (shocking, isn't it?), and many are in the same situation. Women who wear their husbands' ranks make me ill.

I took a job for which I was overqualified because I really wanted to have a job right when I finished grad school. BIG MISTAKE. Huge!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

BTW-- Delt Alum... what kind of hours will you have? I would imagine mainly evening hours to cover sports?

Mine are crazy.. never the same. Sometimes I start work late at night.. sometimes the wee hours in the morning. Wonder what 9 to 5 is like??? But on the plus side, I get to enjoy the afternoon most days-- go to the pool and such.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel
BTW-- Delt Alum... what kind of hours will you have? I would imagine mainly evening hours to cover sports?

Mine are crazy.. never the same. Sometimes I start work late at night.. sometimes the wee hours in the morning. Wonder what 9 to 5 is like??? But on the plus side, I get to enjoy the afternoon most days-- go to the pool and such.
Good question. This is a start-up and I suspect it will take a while to define itself -- whether everything will be live (afternoons and evenings), or some stuff will go to Memorex.

Days off will change from major sport season to the next as well.

Typical TV production stuff.

I've been in TV for a long time, so hours just don't seem like much of an issue. That will especially be true since all of the kids are gone.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

The only hard part I have is sleeping. I come in at all hours of the day-- literally-- depending on what's going on. Do you have any tricks for these strange hours? I have blackout blinds, a white noise machine.. you name it!

Last edited by blueangel; 08-26-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The only hard part I have is sleeping. I come in at all hours of the day-- literally-- depending on what's going on. Do you have any tricks for these strange hours? I have blackout blinds, a white noise machine.. you name it!

Maybe if you tried sleeping instead of GC, you'd get more sleep.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
Maybe if you tried sleeping instead of GC, you'd get more sleep.
Alpha Frog,
Why must you always be so nasty?

BTW-- how can you possibly talk about being in the computer when your profile says:

Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Alpha Frog,
Why must you always be so nasty?

BTW-- how can you possibly talk about being in the computer when your profile says:

"Hello Kettle?? This is Pot...you're black"

And I'm not complaining about how much time I spend on GC. I get my stuff done and have plenty of time to sleep.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
Isn't an employer saying you're "overqualified" the same thing as someone you're dating saying "it's not you it's me," which really means that it IS you and he/she/it is just not that into you?
That's what I'm thinking.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you have any tricks for these strange hours? I have blackout blinds, a white noise machine.. you name it!
Well, when I started directing I drank a lot.

That's not a joke.

Fortunately, I've moderated over the years.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Melatonin is good for grabbing some Z's. I like the kind that you use sublingually, for faster absorption. I feel like I have a better night's sleep when I use it, although it's not something that should be used every night forever.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum
Finally -- just last night -- I took a job with a new sports network as a director.
DA, congratulations on the new job! That is awesome and I am jealous. If you guys ever want to do a story on Jose Mesa's biggest fan, let me know!!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03

Alum, there are plenty of NCO wives who have degrees and want careers too (shocking, isn't it?), and many are in the same situation. Women who wear their husbands' ranks make me ill.

I took a job for which I was overqualified because I really wanted to have a job right when I finished grad school. BIG MISTAKE. Huge!

I think alum was just replying to my post and she knows that my husband is an officer.

But you're right about the "taking a job you're overqualified for to get a foot in the door" thing being a huge mistake. I know some people who did that right after college and it took literally years for them to dig themselves out of that hole.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

KR, Thanks!

M03, You are absolutely correct. There are many military members of all ranks whose dependent spouses (don't forget sometimes the wife is the active-duty member) are overqualified for the available positions on an installation.

When I recounted my experience, I used the term officers' wives because that's who I lived amongst and knew on a personal basis. Although the boundaries are blurred a bit, the junior enlisted, the NCOs, the warrants, the company-grade officers, and the field-grade officers don't really associate with eachother on a social basis except at formal functions. The Army units to which my H has been assigned have been relatively strict in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03
:::yawn:::