Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,414
0 members and 1,414 guests
No Members online

Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gods Ivy
This is true but do all of us know how to do that?
I mean, we should. Part of why we chose to be members of the D9 is to educate and empower. When we perform community service; when we are teaching in the classroom; when we are attending functions for fundraising; when we interact with each other on a regular/situational basis, we should be nurturing seeds of enlightenment. It is my belief that this is done little bit by little bit.

As an aunt and a mentor, I ask my niece and nephew and 'littles' questions and give them guidance on what they should be thinking about, when it comes to their role in the uplifting of our people-"What does this mean to you?", "What do you think of this", not what school do you want to attend but "What do you want to do after college?" etc, etc. (I'm sure someone will say 'college isn't for everyone', but it is for US (on this board) and it should be moreso for our people because the majority of us working/not working low entry jobs isn't for us, either ).

And aside from the youth who will lead us in the next 30-40 years, the adults, who are in positions to think for themselves and become aware have a responsibility to do so. Many of us (D9) engage ourselves in positions that have constant interactions with the community--for instance, two summers ago I worked as a political education provider/registrant, letting any capable person of 18 years or older, their rights, how voting pertains to them, what they can do to change the situation around them to better it for themselves, by any means necessary. I'm not content with just letting Jesse Jackson or anyone else speak for *ME* when I have a voice and when I know *I* matter in this world. But me or any of us knowing is not enough---we must instill this in others. So, the question is not just 'do enough of us know how', but the ones who DO know, 'what are YOU doing to make sure everyone else jumps on the know-boat?'

enigma_AKA
Old 04-26-2006, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gods Ivy
Quote:
Originally posted by enigma_AKA
I mean, we should. Part of why we chose to be members of the D9 is to educate and empower. When we perform community service; when we are teaching in the classroom; when we are attending functions for fundraising; when we interact with each other on a regular/situational basis, we should be nurturing seeds of enlightenment. It is my belief that this is done little bit by little bit.

As an aunt and a mentor, I ask my niece and nephew and 'littles' questions and give them guidance on what they should be thinking about, when it comes to their role in the uplifting of our people-"What does this mean to you?", "What do you think of this", not what school do you want to attend but "What do you want to do after college?" etc, etc. (I'm sure someone will say 'college isn't for everyone', but it is for US (on this board) and it should be moreso for our people because the majority of us working/not working low entry jobs isn't for us, either ).

And aside from the youth who will lead us in the next 30-40 years, the adults, who are in positions to think for themselves and become aware have a responsibility to do so. Many of us (D9) engage ourselves in positions that have constant interactions with the community--for instance, two summers ago I worked as a political education provider/registrant, letting any capable person of 18 years or older, their rights, how voting pertains to them, what they can do to change the situation around them to better it for themselves, by any means necessary. I'm not content with just letting Jesse Jackson or anyone else speak for *ME* when I have a voice and when I know *I* matter in this world. But me or any of us knowing is not enough---we must instill this in others. So, the question is not just 'do enough of us know how', but the ones who DO know, 'what are YOU doing to make sure everyone else jumps on the know-boat?'

enigma_AKA
Good point. I think that stragety is great. Approaching our youth and giving them to tools to express themselves and advocate. I believe and practice the samethings. I was a director of a youth program but continue to mentor the students. I could not stay in the environment and work there because I was unhappy but it is vital to their development that we give back and give of our time to them. Great point soror.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Where Daddy @ This Week?

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06
...so who is the "white" leader?

We are a diverse people and as we continue to advance, our diversity, especially professionally, that increases the likliehood that there may not ever again be any one "leader."

I think when the next manifestation of dominant black leadership emerges, be it a single person or a cluster of folks (more likely, IMO), it will come from the ground up (grassroots) thing and people will naturally gravitate toward it. There is no mantle to pass, no torch to hand off, no matter how many NAACP dinners or Black covenant symposia we have. Is it Cornell West? Tavis Smiley? Michael Steele? Barack Obama? Who knows, time will tell.

I'd not put much stock in who the "media" calls. As ST says, One, it's lazy reporting, and two, perhaps suggestive of a dearth of others making viable, critical mass differences that have caught the national attention. How many of us, who are the only "us" in our offices get asked all the time, "so what do Black people think about x or y?" If we responded to CNN instead of Becky down the hall would that make us "Black leaders?" But that's what the media does.

I am not Rev. Jackson's biggest political fan by a loooong shot, but I give him credit and respect due because he was on the front line when it was thick (police attack dogs, hoses, Edmund Pettis bridge, e.g.). To me his sacrifice at least gives him a voice I will hear out, whether I decide to agree or not. If he is opportunistic and outmoded today, where are the counter-rising voices of Black Intelligensia, saying "not only should be do it this way, but here's how we have started over here?"

soapbox done....for now.

*I can't believe I just defended a Que all like that. Lemme go sit down somewhere and get my head back right....

Yeah, Yeah, Blah, Blah, Blah.... Joker is never around when you need him!

Tell Daddy I got T-ball practice this weekend... and Momma needs some $$ to shop at Ralph's.

Sincerely,

The Reverends "Otha Love Offering"

WAR: Other Baby's Mamma Drama!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Most of the folk on GC are products of a civil rights area but know very little about and certainly can't fully understand and identify with marches, sit ins, etc. We have come a long way as a nation and as a people.

Leaders of the civil rights movement of the 60's did their thing. I'm proud of Martin, Al and Jesse. They have earned their place in history and we should never forget the tireless efforts of noted and unsung heroes that help bring about better opportunities.

As products of the civil rights area, we face new challenges. We deal with health disparities, economic injustice, gang violence, high teen pregnancy rates among AA, the large percentage of AA males in prison, etc. These are among the issues that plague our community. These are the challenges we face. To that end, the face of civil rights and human rights has evolved. We need leaders that can articulate policy and support policy that gives funding for change. Let me know if you are aware of a current march or sit in that has significantly affected the issues above.

We can all be change agents by voicing issues to those we elect to make policy and provide funding for programs and services. We need more folk like each of us. Folk who are not afraid to seek public office and raise the issue why! We must be involved and engaged . . . something to few of us are willing to do. I suggest we will never again have young leaders that will have the impact like Martin, Al, and Jesse until we as a people become involved as opposed to the few AA that fight for freedom, justice and equality.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation WE are Missing the Critical Community

I too respect what Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton do/say because they have sacrificed time, talent, and treasure for the struggle. I think that, over everything else, makes them valuable leaders and at the same time prevents a younger generation from doing the same. The post civil rights black community hasn't had to sacrifice enough in order to cultivate the critical passion necessary to lead any social movement. We no longer have communities of successful people who are willing to sacrifice job advancement, political footing, or property value in order to create and recreate a caring, supportive, connected community for younger leaders to grow up in. Without that community, the younger people only have the media and "tha 'Hood" to give them their critical self conscience. The only critical self conscience the media is interested in is the ideas of being a rich individual, a "get yours" mentality that serves to disconnect people from eachother, community, and ultimately, the God that brought us thus far.

I disagree with Steven A. Smith. I don't feel that Rev. Jackson is simply doing these things for media opportunities. I think he speaks for those people who are powerless to speak for themselves. A black, single-mother stripper will not have a legitimate voice on her own, even if she was indeed raped. But when Rev. Jackson gets involved, then people are forced to listen. Rev. Jackson doesn't speak for every black person. But he lends credibility to issues and people that generally would get overlooked if you or I spoke about them. That's where his worth lies now in the struggle.

As far as new leadership, I think it does have to start in the intelligencia, so to speak. But, the intelligencia must do a self assessment about what it is willing to sacrifice. I think no younger leaders have stepped up because we are too hesitant to sacrifice. It's hard to call young political leaders (Sen. Obama, soon to be Sen. Ford;Jr. etc.) our next crop of black leaders because they have to answer to too many different people to get re-elected. So their message is too watered down to be critical enough for social change. Our new leaders have to be independant enough, and love black people enough, to tell the establishment where to go when the establishment needs to go there, without compromise. This is why I respect Min. Farakhan and the N.O.I. I think "Christian" religious leaders have simliar opportunities to be as free as the N.O.I., but they lack the vision and love for Black people to take advantage of the opportunity that they have. But, I do think that the younger religious leaders are where we can look for the collective, grassroots leadership that we long for. They just need the vision to take that step.
If we could get them to see that social justice is just as "Christian" as tithing, then we will begin to see a rise in younger leadership.
Blackwatch!!!!!!

Last edited by The Cushite; 04-28-2006 at 08:55 PM.